Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney info inbound

notmeanymore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the announcement of Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney at Level-5's Vision Press Conference last year, we've heard little to nothing about the title. Currently, the only things we know about the crossover title is that it is being co-developed by Level-5 and Capcom's Shu Takumi and that it is for Nintendo 3DS. However, during Tokyo Game Show this week, that lack of information is about to change.

On September 16th, Capcom will be holding a stage event for Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney from 1:40 PM to 2:10 PM (Japan Time). Capcom's Takumi-san and Level-5 CEO Akihiro Hino will both be in attendance along with Capcom's Hironobu Takeshita. The developers are expected to reveal secrets about the game's development and new information about the game.

VGTribune will be covering Tokyo Game Show all week so be sure to check back frequently for more information and news on Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney as well as all of the other big Japanese games that will be present at the show![/p]
Source

Hell yes! I hope there's a live stream available for this. If not I'll have to deal with American post-coverage.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Screw the live-stream, I'm taking a flight there to see it myself!
tpi.gif

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Ace Faith said:
Screw the live-stream, I'm taking a flight there to see it myself!
tpi.gif
Have fun paying lots of money
smile.gif
Price in japan isn't exactly the cheapest if you are from Sweden.

Finally some info. BUT what i want to hear is a localization like all those japanese games out there

Byronic Hero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reason #1 for owning a 3DS right here. I just hope Level 5 is less stingy with the localization than Crapcom seems to be.

notmeanymore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the source is anything to go by: other than Shu Takumi working on the project, Capcom has no involvement.

I'm judging that based on how they phrased this: "is being co-developed by Level-5 and Capcom's Shu Takumi"

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Although the return of Phoenix is incredibly welcome, I still cannot forgive Capcom for the non-localised Ace Attorney Investigations 2. It's really too bad, since the first AAI was REALLY GOOD, like a completely natural evolution away from Apollo Justice.

D

Deleted User

Byronic Hero said:
Reason #1 for owning a 3DS right here. I just hope Level 5 is less stingy with the localization than Crapcom seems to be.
Indeed. Though I'm sure that Level-5 Facebook poll they held was just to see what fans were looking forward to, I hope they will follow through and localize AA vs PL

Crapcom you still suck.

Byronic Hero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ikki said:
They'll show a ten minute gameplay video and announce it's not gonna get localized.

Calling it
After which I'll be scouring eBay for a new laptop because I would have thrown this one against the wall.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
s111_TAqUzaq4QSPqoMf5ElH376529WkzLor6.jpg

It's been a while since we've heard much about Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, the goofy 3DS crossover title announced last fall. The game's proceeding along, though, due for a 2012 release in Japan, and the two main folks behind it -- Layton series producer Jun Suzuki, and Ace Attorney creator Shu Takumi -- sat down with Famitsu magazine in this week's issue to discuss how things are coming along.
Judging by how the pair spoke in the interview, it sounds like the idea for the adventure/puzzle crossover was hatched more by corporate than the respective development teams. "I was pretty surprised, much as I think everyone reading this was," Takumi said. "I didn't actually hear about it until after the project was underway; I didn't get involved until after things had proceeded a fair distance. I did receive some notification beforehand, but it was largely a matter of me nodding and saying 'Neat'; it was hard to really picture what it was going to be like."

Suzuki was even less prepared for this tandem project -- he admitted to Famitsu that he never played an Ace Attorney game until the idea came up. "[Level-5 president Akihiro] Hino is just an enormous fan of the series," he said. "He'd always say stuff to me like 'You better produce something on par with Ace Attorney' to me -- which, if anything, made me not want to play them even more! Actually trying them out, though, they're pretty fun. The gameplay's solidly there, the way it uses music is really effective, and the player really gets driven by the action. Takumi has a knack for good dialogue, too."

The game itself is set in the Middle Ages-influenced town of Labyrinth City, a place where magic still exists and a young, blond-haired lass has been accused of witchcraft. She's put on trial, and somehow Phoenix is charged with defending her -- but the "group trials" of these medieval times are something our hero is pretty unprepared for. Instead of cross-examining witnesses presented by the prosecution, it's basically Phoenix (and his client) versus the mob of confrontational witnesses, all of whom are free to confer with each other at any time. "When you try to imagine medieval court proceedings," commented Takumi, "you tend to picture these mob scenes with people shouting out accusations at the tops of their lungs. It's a crazy scene, and since this game's set in a medieval city, I wanted to present a court the likes of which we've never seen before." (The title will also feature Layton-style puzzle sections, although the exact nature of them weren't revealed.)

Layton vs. Wright is a very collaborative project, with both Capcom and Level-5 making contributions in the fields they're best at. In terms of art style, however, Capcom is taking the lead. "Capcom is handling the visual design and art," Takumi said. "We've been undergoing a long trial-and-error process in pretty much every aspect of the game, figuring out how to merge the two worlds together. Phoenix is drawn a little more simply than in the Ace Attorney games, while Professor Layton has a bit more detail, with the wrinkles in his clothing and so forth. It's a lot of nitty-gritty work, and I'm sure we'll continue trying to balance all of it right up to the end of the project."

At the same time, though, the game will be presented in 3D, a first for the Ace Attorney series. (Layton made the jump to 3D for Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles, a 3DS launch title in Japan.) "It was a bit of an internal conflict I had with myself when the team decided to go ahead and make this a 3D title," Takumi admitted. "When you think about the 3DS, though, we really couldn't have done without three-dimensional graphics. Making it 3D also allows us to add more depth and character to the courtroom, letting us present the action from different angles and really expanding the freedom of expression we have."

It sounds like a difficult birth, no doubt about that, but it's a challenge that both sides seem to be up for. "The first Layton game [Professor Layton and the Curious Village] was a pain to develop because we really weren't sure exactly what we were doing," Suzuki said. "It's kind of the same process right now, and that's a good thing, because I hope it'll result in the same kind of fan support that Layton has received over the years."

Layton vs. Wright is due out sometime next year in Japan, where Level-5 will be handling publication duties. [/p]
Source

More screens from Famitsu:
s202_UCRnRq347RcXDa7joj9YOxR9zx3XjT55.jpg

laytonxphoenix_002_thumb.jpg

laytonxphoenix_003_thumb.jpg

s212_mZrO8Z82MabJh31SnY5h464CH3ax75A2.jpg

s113_IU3QR4B4FyzlT4cOxr19M6iIi17duaEg.jpg

s204_TYUcG8m8822PQ26H23QxQM84mtop5M6L.jpg

s205_cZfGpWesei7E9Y8PAi4tMjd24l4j542E.jpg

Byronic Hero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3D?!?!

First Good People Die, now this? I was expecting it to stay in the 2D style since both franchises have that "anime-feel" to them.

Guess I better start getting used to it now; shouldn't take long since I'm already in love with Good People Die's art style.

EDIT: Here's another pic
TAqUzaq4QSPqoMf5ElH376529WkzLor6.jpg

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Byronic Hero said:
3D?!?!

First Good People Die, now this? I was expecting it to stay in the 2D style since both franchises have that "anime-feel" to them.

Guess I better start getting used to it now; shouldn't take long since I'm already in love with Good People Die's art style.
Look:
laytonxphoenix_003_thumb.jpg

At least in various parts it will still harbor a 2D style, specifically 2 1/2D. It will likely be used in the Court, but it still looks pretty animated. This also makes the animations more fluid, though I can't say I won't miss the complete 2D artwork.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I almost cried when I saw this.

But I guess I'll have to get used to it, it's the actual game what matters. They better compensate it with some anime cutscenes though. The trailer was awesome.

I also hope those aren't the final models, they're terrible.

Byronic Hero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if all franchises that started on DS with a 2D style will be given the same 3D treatment as this and GPD. I'd kinda be mad if the new Ace Attorney titles abandoned the whole "sprites" thing it had going for it.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Byronic Hero said:
I wonder if all franchises that started on DS with a 2D style will be given the same 3D treatment as this and GPD. I'd kinda be mad if the new Ace Attorney titles abandoned the whole "sprites" thing it had going for it.
So would I, the 2D models made Ace Attorney.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ZQhiwti-pK0?si=LTqU_S8Xm2fYnlQg