Hacking Problems with Forwarder Channels

Chris2055

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've installed ScummVM 2.3.0 pre from the daily buildbot. I have to use the nightly/dev version because the last official release freezes my system on exit. It works fine from HBC but the forwarder resets me back to the system menu. I have forwarders for FCEUX GX, Snes9x TX, Genesis Plus GX and USBLoader GX and they all work fine.

Here is a link to the forwarder I used: https://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=9637

Things I tried:
- Renaming boot.elf to boot.dol.
- Copying boot.elf and renaming it to boot.dol, so that both boot.elf and boot.dol exist simultaneously.
- Updating my softmod CIOS with modmii (found 10 CIOS that needed updating, all have been installed but it doesn't seem to have made a difference at all).
- Confirmed the path to my scummvm is SD:\apps\scummvm\boot.elf.

I've included a SysCheck as I've read different reports of issues with CIOS.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Attachments

• sysCheck.zip
    815 bytes · Views: 99
Last edited by Chris2055,

Chris2055

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the first version of the one I linked. It doesn't work with nightly builds because the nightlies use .elf instead of .dol. You can supposedly get it to work by renaming the .elf to .dol but I tried that version first (with renaming and without) and it did the same thing. The WiiMC forwarder also does not work for some reason.

I forgot to mention I'm on a 4.3U letterbombed Wii with a 32 GB SDHC card and a 2TB USB WD Elements drive in case that matters.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Try building a new/custom forwarder dol from ModMii classic's advanced download page. Then test if it works via the hbc or priiloader or wiixplorer or exploit or whatever. If it works, just inject it into your channel/wad using customize mii and cross your fingers

Chris2055

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try building a new/custom forwarder dol from ModMii classic's advanced download page. Then test if it works via the hbc or priiloader or wiixplorer or exploit or whatever. If it works, just inject it into your channel/wad using customize mii and cross your fingers

Hey, thanks for the response. I have a couple questions I was wondering if you (or anyone) could answer about doing this before I go any further.

1. When ModMii asks which type of forwarder I want to build, should I choose SD/USB Forwarder (v12) or Channel Forwarder? I've checked out the menu options for both and it seems like the former, but I want to be sure.

2. If I'm supposed to choose Channel Forwarder, where can I find the 4 character Title ID?

3. If I inject the .dol generated by ModMii into the existing forwarder for ScummVM, will it still retain the same banner/artwork?

4. If I somehow mess up or the process fails along the way, is it possible the wad install might brick my Wii?

Thanks!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
1) sd/usb forwarder in this case

2) not applicable in this case, but the title ID of channels can be retrieved from the wad/channel using tools like showmiiwads or customize mii. Or Wii homebrew apps like mmm should also be able to report on this

3) yes

4) If the original channel is safe, then replacing its dol and installing it carries no risk. However, if the original banner/artwork has issues, it could result in a bannerbrick - but if you have priiloader (or bootmii @boot2) installed you can easily recover from banner bricks by just uninstalling the offending channel.

Last edited by XFlak,
Reactions: jeannotte

Chris2055

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You also can use this version:
https://mundowiihack.wordpress.com/2020/11/05/wii-scummvm-v1-8-0/

It works with the "normal forwarder" and doesnt have the crash on exit issue.

Its 2.2.1 pre, not 1.8.0 as the link suggests.

Have fun. :)

Thank you for the response. The forwarder included with that does the same thing. At this point I'm convinced it's something wrong with my CIOS or drive. I will report back after trying to customize the WAD with ModMii.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Thank you for the response. The forwarder included with that does the same thing. At this point I'm convinced it's something wrong with my CIOS or drive. I will report back after trying to customize the WAD with ModMii.
Nope I have It running with a forwarder. Give me a sec and I'll upload it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here it is:

This should work with 2.2.1 pre

path is:

/apps/scummvm/boot.elf

on the sdcard.

(If you have other scummvm folders or executables in the scummvm folder, try deleting them first.)

If you can, test it with the nightly as well and give me feedback if it works.

Attachments

• ScummVM - SCUM.wad.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 108

Chris2055

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to download your copy of the forwarder and install it, but it does the same thing as the official one. However, I want to post back on XFlak's method, because it worked! I have no idea why it works and the standard loader doesn't, but it does.

Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded the ScummVM loader from here.
2. Opened ModMii Advanced Downloads and Forwarder DOL\ISO Builder (Press A from ModMii).
3. Opened Forwarder DOL\ISO Builder (Press F from ModMii Advanced Downloads and Forwarder DOL\ISO Builder page).
4. Press 1 to choose DOL.
5. Press 1 again to choose SD\USB Forwarder (v12).
6. Typed the path as "apps/scummvm/boot.elf".
7. Pressed A to add the download to the queue.
8. Typed a name and pressed enter.
9. Pressed D to download and Y to confirm.
10. Transferred the resulting .dol file to a dummy folder in the apps directory and renamed it to boot.dol so HBC could pick it up.
11. Tried to boot it through HBC and it launched ScummVM successfully.
12. Downloaded CustomizeMii 3.11 from here.
13. Selected the ScummVM loader obtained in Step 1 as the Source Wad.
14. Navigated to the options tab and selected the boot.dol from the apps test directory.
15. Left all other settings at default and chose "Create Wad".
16. Installed WAD with Multi-Mod Manager 13.4 using IOS 249.

It works great. The only thing I noticed is that the loading splash screen seen here does not appear. I don't really care about that much though, so I'm happy.

Last edited by Chris2055,

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
I tried to download your copy of the forwarder and install it, but it does the same thing as the official one. However, I want to post back on XFlak's method, because it worked! I have no idea why it works and the standard loader doesn't, but it does.

Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded the ScummVM loader from here.
2. Opened ModMii Advanced Downloads and Forwarder DOL\ISO Builder (Press A from ModMii).
3. Opened Forwarder DOL\ISO Builder (Press F from ModMii Advanced Downloads and Forwarder DOL\ISO Builder page).
4. Press 1 to choose DOL.
5. Press 1 again to choose SD\USB Forwarder (v12).
6. Typed the path as "apps/scummvm/boot.elf".
7. Pressed A to add the download to the queue.
8. Typed a name and pressed enter.
9. Pressed D to download and Y to confirm.
10. Transferred the resulting .dol file to a dummy folder in the apps directory and renamed it to boot.dol so HBC could pick it up.
11. Tried to boot it through HBC and it launched ScummVM successfully.
12. Downloaded CustomizeMii 3.11 from here.
13. Selected the ScummVM loader obtained in Step 1 as the Source Wad.
14. Navigated to the options tab and selected the boot.dol from the apps test directory.
15. Left all other settings at default and chose "Create Wad".
16. Installed WAD with Multi-Mod Manager 13.4 using IOS 249.

It works great. The only thing I noticed is that the loading splash screen seen here does not appear. I don't really care about that much though, so I'm happy.
@Chris2055 thanks for reposting this from @XFlak, but i can also contribute because i recently made a newish tool which is for me an "improved version" of Convert2vWii v1.4, called WiiForwarder2vWii, which converts original Wii forwarders for use them in the vWii mode of Wii U.

Get it from here: https://gbatemp.net/download/wiifor...wii-u-forwarder-converter-beta-version.37254/

I've wrote a blog post for explain this why WiiForwarder2vWii exists: https://gbatemp.net/entry/my-all-ne...he-spiritual-successor-of-convert2vwii.19401/

Best regards ;)

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Jayro, No, works fine.