Hardware Problem With SD Card Reader Seat From Nintendo Switch Mother Board

Sushi4life

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
-if you manage to solder it like this your a winner ;)
-for the metal cover ,just jut it with cisor and put the wires under the cut.

Is that what you meant? That is how my switch currently is. :S

Attachments

• 20200318_124230.jpg
    20200318_124230.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 265

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Is that what you meant? That is how my switch currently is. :S
you already cut it ! it's not a big deal , d'ont worry.
but what i have in mind is this :

and don't be scared cuz : scare = heart beat fast = shaking. ;) i hope you will win.

edit :
@LittlestCube this lego female is really horrible ,once we open the switch and move mSD reader , we are on a river with flood.

take your time , dont rush because of ACNH .

Last edited by mitcha,

LittlestCube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick word of advice to anyone who happens to come across this thread: don't just use wires that are lying around your house. You'll kill yourself. Especially if you're trying to solder everything, rather than just one or two wires. Go on Amazon, buy some AWG40, or else your soldering job will look like this:
IMG_1454.jpg

It is almost impossible to make good connections with wire like this. I wanted to see if I could go the cheap way out, but only tortured myself further.

P.S. I need some help from the more experienced solderers out there. I just ordered "Remington Magnet Wire": https://www.amazon.com/Remington-In...=sr_1_5?keywords=awg+40&qid=1584756871&sr=8-5

Can I use this in my Switch? Or is magnet wire only to be used in stuff like electromagnets? Will this destroy my Switch if I use this wire? I know nothing about different types of wiring.

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Quick word of advice to anyone who happens to come across this thread: don't just use wires that are lying around your house. You'll kill yourself. Especially if you're trying to solder everything, rather than just one or two wires. Go on Amazon, buy some AWG40, or else your soldering job will look like this:View attachment 200314

It is almost impossible to make good connections with wire like this. I wanted to see if I could go the cheap way out, but only tortured myself further.

P.S. I need some help from the more experienced solderers out there. I just ordered "Remington Magnet Wire": https://www.amazon.com/Remington-In...=sr_1_5?keywords=awg+40&qid=1584756871&sr=8-5

Can I use this in my Switch? Or is magnet wire only to be used in stuff like electromagnets? Will this destroy my Switch if I use this wire? I know nothing about different types of wiring.
so you wired up all the points with that wire , it's a pain doing so.
i guess wires are touching each others no ? i coudn't see if it touch.
PM mattytrog , he could give you some experiences advices , at this point it's messy.
you could manage the solder with 2 or 3 fat wires , but with all 0_0

are u doing the same with the points in the motherboard ?

edit : if you end up not having solution and also messing thigs up ,take a look at #8 post here :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/sd-card-port-issue.521485/

Last edited by mitcha,

LittlestCube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Sushi4life, sorry I didn't respond to you sooner.

I know a lot of us have said it before, but if you're just soldering 1-2 points (preferably not next to each other) then thicker wire is probably fine (AWG40 is still absolutely 100% better), but if you're soldering everything like I tried to do, I can now tell you first-hand:

You'll want to die.

If you find your wires constantly falling off regardless of the amount of solder you use, if it's super hard to see where something is, if it's hard to fit thick wires that are close together where they need to go, then buy AWG40. Points on the motherboard that I previously thought impossible to solder to (and tried anyway for three days), have now become super easy and I have now soldered five of those "impossible" points in two hours with AWG40 wires. So far, none of them have fallen off like their fatter counterparts.

I am not yet done, but I will be back to post about it when I am.

Sushi4life

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Sushi4life, sorry I didn't respond to you sooner.

No worries for replying late lol.

Thank you for your advice! I only have 1 point to solder so it would probably be much easier than yours. Seeing your picture do you know if I can cut CAT 5e ethernet cables as the wire? Do I just solder 1 of the tiny wires and it would be fine? I think yes since it's metal together.

Edit: the cables are AWG 24

Last edited by Sushi4life,

LittlestCube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thank you for your advice! I only have 1 point to solder so it would probably be much easier than yours. Seeing your picture do you know if I can cut CAT 5e ethernet cables as the wire? Do I just solder 1 of the tiny wires and it would be fine? I think yes since it's metal together.

Smaller is always better, but AWG24 should be fine since you only have one point to solder.

so you wired up all the points with that wire , it's a pain doing so.
i guess wires are touching each others no ? i coudn't see if it touch.
PM mattytrog , he could give you some experiences advices , at this point it's messy.
you could manage the solder with 2 or 3 fat wires , but with all 0_0

are u doing the same with the points in the motherboard ?

edit : if you end up not having solution and also messing thigs up ,take a look at #8 post here :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/sd-card-port-issue.521485/

Maybe they were touching, but that wasn't even the problem. The problem was that I couldn't get them to stay on the motherboard. That method in and of itself was a waste of time from the beginning.

Last edited by LittlestCube,

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria

to be sure make a aest by soldering the an sd card adapter , to have experience and to make sure the TIN catch.

@LittlestCube make test too , you waste your time first time ,but you gain experience.
with the tin not catching on the mSd adapter and you manage to get some ton stay and melt.

i was having just one pin to solder (easy ) not like you (very hard ).

hope you two the best.

Last edited by mitcha,

LittlestCube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to be sure make a aest by soldering the an sd card adapter , to have experience and to make sure the TIN catch.

I completely forgot that was a question I had: how exactly does one test each individual point? I've noticed that people like matty talk about "testing points," but how would you know if the connection worked without soldering everything and then testing?

Last edited by LittlestCube,
Reactions: mitcha

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
I completely forgot that was a question I had: how exactly does one test each individual point? People keep talking about "testing points," but how would you know if the connection worked without soldering everything and then testing?
not that kind of test.
im talking of testing your skills at soldering also testing if the tin melt well with your choosen wires before begining the real real ring on the nintendo switch

Reactions: LittlestCube

LittlestCube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I see. That makes much more sense.

This is probably important to do particularly because two of the nine points I have done right now are a little unstable, so I'm going to have to try and make those a little more secure.

Also, another note for any future readers: something I read somewhere is that it might be easier to solder everything while the metal protector plate is already screwed on, and while the SD reader is also screwed on top of it. Once you get to the GND wire, just make a relatively short wire and unscrew the SD reader screw a little, stick the GND wire in, and lightly screw it back in (DON'T try to solder to the screw). If necessary (and if easier) you can cut a little bit of the metal protector plate off like how mitcha said before:

what i have in mind is this :

It might be helpful also to tape the wires down to the plate with electrical tape or something else.

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
:( I am so sad. I cannot even get my Amazon package with the flux/solder/wire since my post office that I sent to was closed.
are the postal company closed in your country or it's a relay post and you need to get to it to get your mail's ?

@Sushi4life aww, that's really sad.

I'm not much better, I finished soldering everything and my Switch still doesn't read anything. :cry:

I will try to get a tester and test all the points to see what isn't working.
test it , but clean it up a little , cuz in the picture you give us before , there were a mess/melting tin , so try to clean it.
take your time and be patient , when we don't know where the issue is , we loose mind quickly.

edit : since you need to solder all the wres/points what if you solder an regular PC microSd adapter ?
you will have much space for soldering and also to testing , see my post #67

you can do that if you have no choise

Last edited by mitcha,

Sushi4life

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
are the postal company closed in your country or it's a relay post and you need to get to it to get your mail's ?
Basically I ordered on Amazon (Canada) and select ship to a "pick up location" where I can take the package when I show a barcode that Amazon sends to my email when available. But the problem is that the "pick up location" is closed for an unknown duration. My pick up location was a post office. :((

I may need to order from other places

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Basically I ordered on Amazon (Canada) and select ship to a "pick up location" where I can take the package when I show a barcode that Amazon sends to my email when available. But the problem is that the "pick up location" is closed for an unknown duration. My pick up location was a post office. :((

I may need to order from other places
email your post office , perhaps they can do something for you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah we have well established 401ks health insurance and paid daily