Hacking problem installing CFW from an older firmware version

someonewon1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Another weird thing I noticed that is I was given access to themes when I connected to the internet, which is strange since it says on the notification this should've happened after version 9.0.0-20E. I also have amiibo settings which I'm pretty sure came much later than my version. It looks like my firmware is much higher than what is actually displayed.

Could this have possibly happened from an aborted firmware update? Like if the power went out while it was updating and it was only done partially?

I'm pretty sure this system has not been modded before. Is there any way to check if anything has been done to it?

Last edited by someonewon1,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Another weird thing I noticed that is I was given access to themes when I connected to the internet, which is strange since it says on the notification this should've happened after version 9.0.0-20E. I also have amiibo settings which I'm pretty sure came much later than my version. It looks like my firmware is much higher than what is actually displayed.

Could this have possibly happened from an aborted firmware update? Like if the power went out while it was updating and it was only done partially?

I'm pretty sure this system has not been modded before. Is there any way to check if anything has been done to it?
This is strange. It is possible to get to this point on purpose (sometimes called Frankenstein firmware or “Frankenfirm” because the components are assembled like Frankenstein’s monster – this can be used to get the outdated Gateway flashcart working on EmuNAND again).

I’ve never tried interrupting an online update. What I expect to happen would be either:
  • Softbrick
or
  • Frankenfirm with the “There is a system update”-nag active.
=====
Your console seems to be in a Frankenfirm state. The following ideas come to my mind:
  • Don’t change anything, get an ntrboot compatible flashcart to install B9S and backup the current state for further investigation.
  • Cartridge update to a version somewhere between and including 9.0 to 11.3. This will update the core system but not touch the sound app. The otherapp site linked on the guide should give a usable otherapp payload file. Maybe the chain “HB Launcher (Soundhax) → udsploit → safehax” works.
  • Online update to the latest version and do Seedminer. A complete online update should get rid of the crazy mixed state.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is probably the easiest solution at this point
I fully agree. This is probably the best solution.

If it was my console I would do ntrboot and try to find out what is on the NAND at the moment. This is so strange.

I tried to get into something similar by forcing power off while online update 6.3 multiple times… the result was: Browser, sound app and System Menu stayed on their low version all the time and SafeB9SInstaller started like it should – every single time. It seems impossible to replicate the issue on my end.

D

Deleted-236924

By the way, you might not need to do any of this. If you have theme settings on your home menu, then you might be able to use homebrew launcher payload for soundhax (try the ones for 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5), and use the homebrew launcher methods instead. Homebrew launcher normally wouldn't work on such a low firmware version, but if you have 9.0+ home menu, then it might just work. You seem to have 10.2 browser, this is used for 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5, so hopefully one of those four payloads will work and you can get into homebrew launcher. And those firm versions have other exploits available to boot into b9s installer, so if you can get into homebrew launcher, you may be able to just install b9s that way.

This might not work, but it is worth a try. I'd rather you didn't try update methods yet, because I'd like to see what your nand looks like, but at the end of the day, it's your console, so if you prefer to update and use a more straightforward route that's up to you.

1.0-8.1 should have this home menu:

Eng_1.jpg

9.0+ have this:

3ds_home_menu.png

If you have the latter, and considering that memchunkhax fails (meaning you must have a higher firm installed), then you might just be able to load homebrew launcher and go that route.

Browser version info says "1.7552" on my downgraded O3DSXL (while the fully updated version is 1.7636). Looks like you have the correct idea. It does not seem that there are different versions for different regions [3dbrew] Title list, System Applets, [3dbrew] Internet Browser (with version numbers)

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that this result comes from a downgrade with Sysupdater using files from somewhere. I have no idea how good/complete/correct these things really are. Funny enough the package I used should have been 6.2.0-12E. Not that this matters but it shows those firmware packages are somewhat not trutworthy.

Lol, I'm stupid. I looked at this page trying to figure out version numbers, saw the table for New 3DS browser, and didn't realize that it was for N3DS or that there even was another table for O3DS. No wonder those version numbers didn't make sense.

I fully agree. This is probably the best solution.

If it was my console I would do ntrboot and try to find out what is on the NAND at the moment. This is so strange.

I tried to get into something similar by forcing power off while online update 6.3 multiple times… the result was: Browser, sound app and System Menu stayed on their low version all the time and SafeB9SInstaller started like it should – every single time. It seems impossible to replicate the issue on my end.

Yes, I'm interested in seeing which versions of each system titles are installed, as well. Or, if there are other things installed which shouldn't be there at all. ;)

Last edited by ,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes, the E does stand for EUR or European market, but 3DS systems sold in Australia are a bit weird. They seem to use a firmware that's slightly different than the ones found in Europe.

Here's a fellow Australian showcasing her 3DS system's region info:

There is a nand file called SecureInfo_A|B that controls what region firmware your system uses.
If one were to region change their firmware with the EUR 11.5 CTRTransfer, editing their SecureInfo_A|B with the AUS code 03 doesn't allow their 3DS to boot.

@Quantumcat can dispel the notion on whether or not soundhax works for Austrialian 3DS systems. Again, just a theory on why it's not working for your case.
If I'm not mistaken the Australian region code is never actually used. It's possible to set games to Australian region code to theoretically region lock them to Australia but the E firmware is able to play both games with EUR and AUS region coding. So while it was implemented it was never actually made use of and no games have AUS region coding either AFAIK. It not being fully implemented since it was never made use of could explain why it doesn't work.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

someonewon1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Now you've got me curious lol. I might try the ntr boot thing at some point (don't expect it anytime soon though). Just let me know what you need me to do.

I was thinking of getting another 3ds anyway, since the thumbstick top has fallen off, or i might try to fix my dstwo. I was mainly thinking of using it as an emulation machine. Thanks for the help.

I did find this R4 I forgot I had that I never really used, though I don't know if it's compatible with the ntr method. (and i still need to get a magnet (what kind of magnet?)).

r4f.jpg
r4b.jpg

(btw, is there any way to resize images in a post? I can only post the giant 3200 x 1800 full size picture or a thumbnail)

This might not work, but it is worth a try. I'd rather you didn't try update methods yet, because I'd like to see what your nand looks like, but at the end of the day, it's your console, so if you prefer to update and use a more straightforward route that's up to you.

1.0-8.1 should have this home menu:

Eng_1.jpg

9.0+ have this:

3ds_home_menu.png
Yep, I have the second one somehow.

Last edited by someonewon1,

deatheater

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guys I was running to a similar problem installing boot9strap on my old 3DS fw v6.0.0 U.

The problem was in the otherapp.bin file. As the latest version (v2.0) only have one file I downloaded this one and I was not able to install, I used the version (v1.2) otherapp1.bin and it worked for me.

@someonewon1 I don't know if you still have this problem or you were able to solve it, but I think it worths a try.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Hyllian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guys I was running to a similar problem installing boot9strap on my old 3DS fw v6.0.0 U.

The problem was in the otherapp.bin file. As the latest version (v2.0) only have one file I downloaded this one and I was not able to install, I used the version (v1.2) otherapp1.bin and it worked for me.

@someonewon1 I don't know if you still have this problem or you were able to solve it, but I think it worths a try.

My 3DS is very old with Firmware 2.2.0-0U. Soundhax can't even be initialized. 3DS Sound just throw a message saying it "Could Not Play" the nedwill file. I've tried your way, downloading v1.2 (in my case, as my firm is pre-4.0, I chose otherapp2.bin) and got the same results, coul'dnt play the file. At least I didn't brick it.

I'd like to use Soundhax as it seems very easy, but I can't find a solution to my problem...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse