Problem figuring out the right flashcart

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by TheOddFox, Jun 9, 2016.

1. TheOddFox
    OP

TheOddFox Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2016
    Netherlands
    After going through three flashcarts, I'm done with all these Ebay sellers who have absolutely no idea how to work what they're selling or are just a parent of a eight year old and really just want to sell it.

Also yes I have seen "Which flashcart should I get" by Rydian. But because I'm not natively English, I sometimes just misunderstand things and I want to be really clear that the R4 I'm trying to get will work with my consoles.

I have two DSIs, one being a DSi XL 1.4.5e and the other being a DSi 1.4.5u.

Will the R4i Revolution work with my consoles?
    Also is the retailer I'm getting this from a good reliable retailer?

All input and any input is very appreciated.

Last edited by TheOddFox, Jun 9, 2016
  2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    The best one to get is by far this one:

http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149

Works on 1.4.5 DSi as well as any 2DS/3DS system on latest firmware. The retailer here is a sponsor of ours and can be trusted.

nxwing and stl25 like this.
  3. TheOddFox
    OP

TheOddFox Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2016
    Netherlands
    I was about 2mins away from buying from that site however, I'm a little impatient to wait for package from Hong Kong to get to me and also I just don't want to pay $20 shipping either...

Jayro likes this.
  4. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Well if you can find the exact card cheaper elsewhere and locally, go for it, it doesn't disappoint. I have two, and love them for DS gameplay. Everything saves properly, trimmed roms play fine, No FAT32 issues, No lag or slow loading issues even with class 4 cards. It's a great card if you can get it around $20 including shipping.

5. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    You could get the original R4 which is REALLY cheap and should? Work on DSI (not sure) if you just want games

6. TheOddFox
    OP

TheOddFox Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2016
    Netherlands
    Those don't work with 1.4.5 sadly.

7. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I think the DS Lite is the best gaming platform as far as compatibility with DS and GBA is concerned. ANY DS and GBA flash carts works on it. You can evel solder-blob over the fuses and headphone resistors, to keep it alive loner and give the audio a significant volume boost. The R and L buttons usually die first though, and are not easily replaced or fixed without a steady soldering hand.

Anyways, back on topic...

I have two versions of the R4i Gold 3DS RTS card. One is the problematic "Rev C" versions stuck on the metroid icon where you need to cut the trace to update the FPGA on it, and the other is whatever the newest one is. Thankfully that issue went away in 2014, so you don't have to worry about it.

nxwing likes this.
  8. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    The original R4 doesn't work with the DSi. It only supports DS fat/ DS lite.

TheVinAnator likes this.