Hacking Princess Ai - Menu Translation

SuperrSonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Nobody asked for it, but here it is anyway.

title_main_EN.png
Why translate this?
A long time ago I tried to translate a GBA game, I was able to change the graphics but never found the text or font. I wanted to dive into translating a game and not give up halfway in.
The main content of this title is already in English, but the menu interface was not, so I knew I could probably finish it up without taking a lot of my time. Three days later here it is.

Is this machine translated?
Yes, you just need to know what each setting does, not exactly something that requires great knowledge of the language.

Is everything translated?
Pretty much, even the useless parental controls. The in-app shop still connects to the DLC list so chapter titles are not translated. If you install the DLC manually you'd still need to modify it manually.

Missing manual.
This being a WiiWare title, it required booting to the Wii Shop Channel to display the manual. I think this got delisted because back in the day I checked the JPN Shop for this title and never found it. I know there's a big dump of Shop Channel data out there but it's only got 6 pages out of 16. So it seems this data is lost... forever.

Anything else?
This is one of those titles that use deflicker in progressive scan mode. I did make a code to remove it but it's mostly useless since you can just make these changes permanently to the .dol file.
Remove DF
2822639e 00000808
0422639e 00001516
042263a2 15000000
0422ba62 00001516
0422ba66 15000000
0422bada 00001516
0422bade 15000000
0422bb16 00001516
0422bb1a 15000000
0422bb52 00001516
0422bb56 15000000
043389b0 00001516
043389b4 15000000
e0000000 80008000

Any other games planned?
I have a small wishlist, a while back I finally checked out the Tales of Graces Spanish translation, far as I could tell it's good but it has some obvious flaws, no textures are replaced, misc stuff like tutorials and item descriptions aren't translated, it's split into two discs. I have already: made it into one disc, inserted all the textures, and translated a good chunk of items. I've determined that everything in it can be modified without trouble. The biggest obstacles are the insane amounts of text remaining, I'm not familiar with the game, and save file hacking has only got me about 90% of items, and YT videos of TOGf are too limited which is where I lift the translations from.
The other game I've been analyzing is Haruhi no Gekidou, most of the menu text has already been done.

DL: *These are just the modified resources and one patch file.

Tech info:

All right so there is another reason for trying to get into this thing, basically the idea of a generic book reader seemed like a good deal. I tried for a long time to figure out the format used to contain the pages. Even though some data was obvious to figure out (things like file size, offsets, number of pages, etc.) it was pointless if I couldn't edit any byte without the whole thing falling apart.

Eventually I found the checksum, a 16 bit byte-swapped checksum, hm. Since I could now modify the thing to learn more I decided to try to build my own thing based on the info I could gather, and...

WSEJBB-4.png

Success!
It's Railgun! RAIL...GUN! ...remember that one?

How about that? I used optimized JPG files at max quality, 1024 height, you can't go higher or it breaks.

The next big thing to do is, first realizing that it takes too much time to make more than 4 pages because keeping track of the sizes and offsets is too difficult; I wrote a tool of sorts that checks the container for JPG files, copies the offset of each, then scans ahead in order to get the file size by subtracting the previous position, and finally outputs it all on a file for me to open and copy all the values to the container and be done with it.

But then comes the unfortunate result, the reader crashes with this > 200 pages container. Did I screw up? Not quite, I built a smaller file of around 10 MB using my tool and it worked. So what gives?
The reader copies the entire container to MEM2 so obviously my 60 MB file just wasn't gonna make it... That already makes this as a book reader useless to me. Still I might as well check out the actual size limit for the record. I actually gave up trying to find the actual size, the gist of it is it crashes if it's bigger than 11.9 MB, meh.

To clarify, yes, I know the original container is 15 MB, but that one contains 'child nodes' for each chapter, Each chapter being around 5 MB (it's three chapters after all.) The container I made only uses one node.

Last edited by SuperrSonic, , Reason: Added IPS patch for chapter numbers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/j-JgIxFZTKY?si=9yG57ooZm1wvSOsz