Hacking Priiloader booting Loader GX often not working

Nisei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've installed the Uneo Loader GX forwarder dol in Priiloader but it only seems to work around 3 out of 5 times.
I'm running Loader GX from SD card and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Any idea what can be the problem? I'm always doing a full shut down.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've installed the Uneo Loader GX forwarder dol in Priiloader but it only seems to work around 3 out of 5 times.
I'm running Loader GX from SD card and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Any idea what can be the problem? I'm always doing a full shut down.
Size of SD card?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Last edited by Alexander1970,
Reactions: jeannotte and Nisei

Nisei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you.:)
So you're saying you guarantee it'll work if I spend $10 on a 2GB non-HC card?

Thanks Alex. But from what I'm reading you're having way more problems like black screens etcetera.
Everything's working for me, except that it doesn't always boot into Loader GX.

I have this "Issue" a way longer (3 years I think),this Thread was only a little more because of Testing Purpose.
As you described,after 5-6 Boots/Re-Boots (sometimes it needs longer/sometimes it is on the first Power On Process) it goes to the Safety & Health Screen and boots into the Wii Menu instead into USBLoader GX.

No matter if an SD Card is attached,I tried many Things,but it is as it is.
Maybe it has to do with the attached Kind/Type/Brand of HDD,I have no Idea and in the Meantime I can live with this.:)

Thank you.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,
Reactions: Nisei and jeannotte

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm using a 4GB microSD card with an adapter and never had any issue with homebrew.
2 GB SD Cards are not that common thing today, but you might be able to find a 4GB microSD card.

Reactions: Nisei and jeannotte

Nisei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Nisei never use Micro SD in a micro SD to SD Adaptor as u can run into latency sync issues
There's nothing inside a micro SD adapter. It's just a passive adapter to adapt the micro SD card to the physical dimensions of a regular SD card without any electronics involved. There's nothing that can cause latency issues.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's nothing inside a micro SD adapter. It's just a passive adapter to adapt the micro SD card to the physical dimensions of a regular SD card without any electronics involved. There's nothing that can cause latency issues.
Bullshit it's down to the metal used will cause latency/sync issues

Reactions: jeannotte

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
even with a 1GB SD (non hc) card, I noticed sometime it just doesn't autoboot, and launch sysmenu instead. Priiloader is probably not reading the SD card anyway, it's booting directly the installed dol, or sysmenu based on its own internal setting, the boot setting is not located on SD card.
I think I had v0.7
But I don't have any log, nor specific "shutdown method" to help DacoTaco debug or fix it.

I only noticed it's happening more when powering with the Wiimote instead of the console's button.
I never use standby, so it's wiimote from full proper power off. no crash of the loader. but I can't say if it's powering off from a game or from the loader, or any other places.

I'm sure USBGX has nothing to do, it could be any other installed dol as it doesn't even try to launch that dol. it just auto-boot to sysmenu even if there's an installed dol.

Last edited by Cyan,

Nisei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
even with a 1GB SD (non hc) card, I noticed sometime it just doesn't autoboot, and launch sysmenu instead. Priiloader is probably not reading the SD card anyway, it's booting directly the installed dol, or sysmenu based on its own internal setting, the boot setting is not located on SD card.
I mentioned Loader GX being on SD just in case people would ask if perhaps it would be on HD.
I can imagine the HD not yet being ready when Priiloader launches the forwarder, resulting in it not being able to find Loader GX and booting the system menu instead.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
like I said, the channel is not even launched !
if it were, you'd see the USBGX logo first before it even tries to mount SD or HDD, if it fails it would go to sysmenu.
but you'd see the logo if it's a device mounting issue!
If it's a channel booting issue, then you wouldn't see the logo. But then, it's not USBGX channel booter's fault, but the console, because the source is always the same, being random means it's probably not the souces nor libogc nor priiloader either. something like hardware or time base issue? Timing bugs are not easy to spot.

if the wii boots directly to sysmenu it means the installed dol didn't even manage to boot the channel.
So, it's either :
- priiloader not booting the installed dol
- installed dol not booting the channel (I don't think, but still a possibility, like ... NAND access not ready?)

priiloader's UNEO booter source :
Code:
int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
	const u64 BOOT_TITLEID = 0x00010001554E454FULL;
	VIDEO_Init();
	WII_Initialize();
	if (WII_LaunchTitle(BOOT_TITLEID) < 0)
		WII_ReturnToMenu();

return 0;
}
With Wii_LaunchTitle method here :
https://github.com/devkitPro/libogc/blob/master/libogc/wiilaunch.c#L246

You could try by installing another dol, for example the forwarder.dol (with a meta.xml and no_ios_reload tag) to get AHB access to USBGX boot.dol
or directly the boot.dol (the meta is already provided) so it would boot it directly.
you'd see wheher the dol is launched or not. But being a random occurrence, it's always hard to trigger it to properly debug the problem.

If you can do the tests, be sure to enable LOGS in priiloader and post in Priiloader's 9 thread!
DacoTaco will help and fix the problem if it's indeed something on his side.
if it's just a Wii init/libogc issue, he can't do a lot. maybe add a delay? not sure.

Edit:
further check of the sources:

(booter) Wii init -> (libogc) init by doing IOS_open/write/close or error -> (booter) launch uneo tile -> (libogc) if init then launch title or error -> (booter) if error, boot sysmenu -> (libogc) if init launch sysmenu title or error

If it's a timing issue, maybe "WII_Initialize();" does some async calls? (IOS_open/write/close are async?)
But it waits for a return value or fails into error. so I think it's sync.

WII_LaunchTitle() starts by checking if it's initialized and return an error if not, resulting in return to menu.

"WII_ReturnToMenu();" does the same init check to loads sysmenu, it would fail if not init yet.
meaning it wouldn't even reach return WII_LaunchTitle(0x100000002LL);
and sysmenu wouldn't launch.

so, I think the wii is properly initialized, libogc properly run Launchtitle and the channel should launch.
the sources is pretty short, so I don't think it's the booter problem.

I didn't look at priiloader source, but I still think doing lot of tries with logs enabled and showing DacoTaco when it's happening will give us more information.

Like I said, I often noticed this behavior when booting the wii using the wiimote power button !
never when using the console's button.
Soo, maybe the timing or the boot is different when triggered from the wiimote?

Last edited by Cyan,

Andvary

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi guys,I've been searching for an answer but I haven't had any luck, I have this same issue, is there any way to fix it?

Last edited by Andvary,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system