1. DacoTaco

OP DacoTaco Member
    Newcomer

Antarctica
    tl;dr : Priiloader 0.9 Beta 3 is online and can be downloaded through Priiloader's 'Check for updates' menu when beta updates are enabled.
    you can also download it + a test hacks file containing the new hacks @ https://github.com/DacoTaco/priiloader/tree/0.9b3

Hey guys,

It's been a while, and it has been a journey in the last few months when we were working on this but here is Priiloader 0.9 Beta 1 !
    its full of reworks and changes and therefore recommended to only be installed with bootmii @ boot2. It should work completely on any wii and you are free to verify and test it but its at your own risk. As for the changes i will explain this in 2 parts. Please let me know if you like this in detail talk that is below. Let's start with the actual changelog :

(version name still under construction)
    Code:
    v0.9 Beta 3 : Itsa Prii, can't get rid of mii
    * Added option to use front buttons to navigate
    * Reworked dol & SysMenu loading code.
           - We can load -any- dol or elf now
           - This removes the entrypoint restriction
    * Reworked the hacks parser & loading code
    * Added offset support in the hacks
    * Added support for comments in the hacks
    * Added support for the Wiimmfi patch
    * Added a 420p hack for SM
    * Added USB Keyboard support
          - Meant for wii-mini
          - Works on all Wii's
          - Mapping is as follows :
                A = Enter
                B = Esc
                X = X
                Y = Y
                Start = Spacebar
                Arrow keys : directions
          - Hold escape to stop autoboot & enter menu
    * Changed Priiloader's Nand bootcode
    * Installer source is open source again
    * Fixed vWii detection code in the installer
    * Fixed bug in displaying beta updates version

Ok, so lets go in more detail, shall we?

first off all, the front panel buttons.
    Ive always been against them getting functionality in Priiloader cause it was confusing to have select enter priiloader but also be a button to enter a menu (like system menu). however, to help a few people i added it in version 0.8.3 beta 1. this was sloppy work however and was properly implemented in 0.9

The main event of Priiloader 0.9 is the reworking of the hacks parsing. i was approached by Leseratte10 to aid him in allowing Priiloader to alter System menu and patch a game on start to automatically connect to Wiimmfi instead of the nintendo service which has been offline for a while.
    Though this patch is still a work in progress, it is meant to be released together with the final 0.9 build and it's progress can be followed on Github and input is welcome
    Anyway, for this to work we had to re-introduce the 'offset' segment in the hacks file. I did, but it works different this time.
    imagine the following hack :
    Code:
    [Offset test]
    #comment test
    minversion=1
    maxversion=9999
    offset=80003400
    patch=0x48003402
    patch=0x12345678, 0x90123456
    this hack would write 0x48003402 to address 0x80003400 , 0x12345678 to 0x80003404 and 0x90123456 to 0x80003408 for System Menu versions 1 until 9999 (resulting in SM getting stuck, but i digress ).
    And yes, you can see that correctly. multiple patch lines are allowed now, which makes it possible to make a hack that does a lot more then just patch System Menu's binary.
    As seen in the test hack, I also added the possibility to add comments using the # character.
    But we will all get to see examples of that later, but don't let it stop you from doing stuff to System menu already!

Next up : the new loader.
    During the development of the hacks we noticed that booting system menu became harder and harder as loading system menu would overwrite Priiloader and crash the system.
    I solved this by introducing the loader. All dol/elf loading (this includes System Menu) has been moved to a standalone binary called loader (herp die derp) .
    Priiloader will now load the loader & read the binary to mem2 and execute the loader. the loader will then do what needs to be done and loads the binary (and applies the offset hacks for system menu). this means that Priiloader can start all binaries even the ones which run in the same memory space as Priiloader.
    Technically this kills any need for forwarders to be required, but i know they will keep being used so they can easily update their /shivers Usbloaders

Whats next? USB Keyboard support!
    Fullmetal5 changed Priiloader to have support for USB Keyboards. this is meant so that Wii-Mini users can access & navigate the Priiloader menu without a wiimote.
    The mapping of the buttons are in the changelog above.
    Holding escape during boot will show the priiloader menu.
    This change works, but testing is required. his usb keyboard worked perfectly, but my Logitech G710+ responded to slow to allow it to stop the autoboot.

Next up : Priiloader's system init code.
    When on the wii a channel is booted, it first runs certain code that will init the system.
    In the Priiloader build this gets injected in the dol by our OpenDolBoot tool.
    Since forever we have injected the System menu's code in priiloader though & this has been changed into HBC's code.
    The tool has also been reworked AND makes .app files that are bootable both on the Wii and on vWii ! (but not under vWii's system menu's title. this is explained why here )
    I also fixed 2 minor bugs with the vWii detection in the installer and a visual bug in the online beta screen which you will see later (it'll say 0.90 beta 1, oops)

... i think thats it! xD
    i'd say enjoy, and feedback is always welcome on github or this thread!

DacoTaco, OUT

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Zurdonx, Peninsula, gburgue and 29 others like this.
  2. grimson

grimson Newbie
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    if requested,i will upload a dol to github.
    Thanks for continuing developing this tool!
    I would request this please :), also for offline installation / archive purposes.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    jeannotte, tech3475 and alexander1970 like this.
  3. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    Ditto. Thanks Daco!

grimson, jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  4. DacoTaco

OP DacoTaco Member
    Newcomer

Antarctica
    ill be honest, i have mixed feelings about this. these binaries are not meant for redistributing and im heavily against it too, you know that. (but i have no trouble with archiving! i save a lot of shit myself lol)

iirc modmii redistributes modded versions of priiloader too...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    grimson, jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  5. XFlak

Canada
    ModMii uses a version of priiloader with a modded installer to force it to run under IOS236. Does the official installer have a 236 option? Or is the ahbprot installer pretty much 100% safe from the network init hbc bug when using ahbprot? I know there was a risk once upon a time and work around established to avoid ahbprot crashes 99% of the time but this is as all I remember on the subject (and when I researched it recently I never found evidence that it was fully resolved) so I just kept the 236 installer mod to be safe.

If newer official installers are just as safe I have no problem switching to your official fork, in fact all else being equal I would make the switch just because it's your preference and you're the dev in charge so why wouldn't I follow your lead. Just bear in mind it may be awhile until I get around to a modmii update because I'm extremely busy IRL and it's just not a priority at the moment.

grimson and jeannotte like this.
  6. FancyNintendoGamer567

FancyNintendoGamer567 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'll install this once I get my Wii back soon.

7. alexander1970

alexander1970 Austrian Guy - allowed make grammatical Errors

Austria
    Thank you for your Work and your Update.:bow:

I am looking forward to the Update.

Unfortunately the Priiloader v0.8.3(beta v1) says:

P1360127.JPG P1360128.JPG P1360130.JPG P1360131.JPG

Thank you.:)

jeannotte likes this.
  8. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Neat! Haven't fired up my Wii in years. Strangely enough, it's been almost as long since I've fired up my WiiU.

So, for those who started rolling your own since installing tools with pacman/dkp-pacman made things so much easier, here's what's needed.

1) (dkp-)pacman -S devkitPPC libogc libfat-ogc gamecube-tools
    2) You need to dump your NAND (or otherwise access it) and take sys/cert.sys, copy it to priiloader/data, and rename it to certs.bin

@DacoTaco, thanks for the update, and whoa... there are a lot of warnings when I build this. Stuff like:

Code:
    /home/urherenow/projects/priiloader/Installer/source/main.cpp:647:22: warning: format '%lx' expects argument of type 'long unsigned int', but argument 4 has type 'u32' {aka 'unsigned int'} [-Wformat=]
    /home/urherenow/projects/priiloader/Installer/source/main.cpp:656:22: warning: format '%lx' expects argument of type 'long unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'u32' {aka 'unsigned int'} [-Wformat=]
       sprintf(file_path, "/title/%08lx/%08lx/data/hacks_s.ini",(u32)(title_id >> 32),(u32) (title_id & 0xFFFFFFFF));
                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    /home/urherenow/projects/priiloader/Installer/source/main.cpp:656:22: warning: format '%lx' expects argument of type 'long unsigned int', but argument 4 has type 'u32' {aka 'unsigned int'} [-Wformat=]
    /home/urherenow/projects/priiloader/Installer/source/main.cpp:662:22: warning: format '%lx' expects argument of type 'long unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'u32' {aka 'unsigned int'} [-Wformat=]
       sprintf(file_path, "/title/%08lx/%08lx/data/hacks.ini",(u32)(title_id >> 32),(u32) (title_id & 0xFFFFFFFF));
                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    /home/urherenow/projects/priiloader/Installer/source/main.cpp:662:22: warning: format '%lx' expects argument of type 'long unsigned int', but argument 4 has type 'u32' {aka 'unsigned int'} [-Wformat=]
    /home/urherenow/projects/priiloader/Installer/source/main.cpp:668:22: warning: format '%lx' expects argument of type 'long unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'u32' {aka 'unsigned int'} [-Wformat=]
       sprintf(file_path, "/title/%08lx/%08lx/data/hacksh_s.ini",(u32)(title_id >> 32),(u32) (title_id & 0xFFFFFFFF));
                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    /home/urherenow/projects/priiloader/Installer/source/main.cpp:668:22: warning: format '%lx' expects argument of type 'long unsigned int', but argument 4 has type 'u32' {aka 'unsigned int'} [-Wformat=]
    /home/urherenow/projects/priiloader/Installer/source/main.cpp:674:22: warning: format '%lx' expects argument of type 'long unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'u32' {aka 'unsigned int'} [-Wformat=]
       sprintf(file_path, "/title/%08lx/%08lx/data/hackshas.ini",(u32)(title_id >> 32),(u32) (title_id & 0xFFFFFFFF));
                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  9. kublai

kublai GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Please upload v9b1 dol. Thanks in advance.

10. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    since building it requires the certs.bin from a Wii, I don't think it's legal to upload here. Even if that particular cert file doesn't contain proprietary information, I believe DacoTaco stated that he doesn't like it shared in a bunch of places. If you read my post above, and read through the link in my sig, it really is easier than ever to roll your own...

grimson likes this.
  11. Ericsonanzois

Ericsonanzois Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    Priiloader is a magnific tool. I hope someday that it can run Live Linux via USB stick

12. FancyNintendoGamer567

FancyNintendoGamer567 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There's already Wii Linux if you want, also most distributions are made for x86, so they would need to be ported to PPC for them to work.

13. DacoTaco

OP DacoTaco Member
    Newcomer

Antarctica
    first off all, i uploaded a zip that has the dol in it on github [click me], if you can't download it through priiloader, use that one instead

is anyone else having issues of it not showing up in the updates page?

oh boy.
    first off all, please don't mention the ahbprot bug ever again to me. that shit has been following me, biting me in the arse ever since it happened. it caused people to use dodgy mods & their own installers and i never got them to stop.
    0.5 had the bug, 0.6 reloads IOS on startup and keeps ahbprot disabled (aka patches IOS live), killing the bug. 0.7 improved on that design and killed the last bits of the bug. so its been 9 years since that bug was killed.
    yes its safe, and if you don't trust it, go look at the code on github. don't like it? make a Pull Request making it better so we can all just use the installer with ahbprot disabled...
    (also, imo , a 236 mod is stupid. 249 is an always modded IOS. why the f*** do you need -another- cios... )

ye, i noticed the warnings in my CI build as well. it looks to be a linux thing, because on my windows machine it doesn't give those warnings...
    been thinking of reinstalling libogc/devkitppc. maybe im having some issues i don't know about

also yes, libfat is needed. look in the makefile in the priiloader folder to see what libraries priiloader needs

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    grimson, banjo2 and alexander1970 like this.
  14. alexander1970

Austria
    Thank you for the Priiloader Update dol.:)

The Navigation with the Wi Buttons and
    the new "We can load -any- dol or elf now" Feature works great by the Way.
    (Makes it now easier to help Users IF they have installed Priiloader.:P)

I am pretty sure many Users will be very,very grateful for this Update.

Thank you for your Time and your Work.:)

15. Ericsonanzois

Ericsonanzois Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    Im not asking for a new linux but a easy new way to boot a linux in Wii.Priiloader could do this.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  16. Vilagamer999

Vilagamer999 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nice! Keep it up :)

17. XFlak

Canada
    @DacoTaco, thanks for your explanation. I won't ask about the old/resolved ahbprot issue again. When 0.9 beta becomes an official/stable release I will make an effort to update ModMii accordingly in-line with your wishes - unless you feel this beta release is final in which case please let me know and I will just use this version.

I hope you know we're on the same side! Maybe I'm just misreading your messages directed to me but it seems like I upset you either now or in the past and I hope we can put the past behind us. Cheers and thanks again.

alexander1970 likes this.
  18. leseratte

leseratte Wiimmfi Team

Germany
    The plan was for a final 0.9 to be released as soon as the Wiimmfi patch hack for Priiloader is complete and tested.

19. DacoTaco

OP DacoTaco Member
    Newcomer

Antarctica
    just wondering, how will that feature make it easier?
    i mean, i made it so priiloader was no longer a factor when developing stuff but thats about it :)
    im glad to see many are happy to see the update!

no problem. you can ask/comment about it,but it's just that that shit has been shoved in my face way to many times (both here, and on IRC).
    BUT ANYWAY...

this sh*thole of a community in general has ;)
    and sure, i have grown up as a person, but i don't forget easily.

basically this. the beta was released to put the code we have now out there and if everything is OK, everything will be released as a full version update.

20. alexander1970

Austria
    Thank you.:)

We had many "Threads" with Users they could not longer access the System Menu or the Homebrew Channel
    (we don't even need to talk about a BootMi installed as boot2...)
    only Priiloader installed BUT no synced or no Wii Motion Controller and/or no GameCube Ports.:)

jeannotte likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Priiloader, Released,