Preserving old games is illegal because it's 'hacking', according to the ESA

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Honestly I don't give a fuck about what the ESA says. My shit is my shit. I paid money for it, and therefore I can do what I want with it. How are they going to track me anyways?

one day your dog gets lost and you decide to call the police
or: one day your "in-law" comes rampaging at your house and you have to call the police

so the police comes, they look around and see you have flashcarts on the table. instead helping you, you get arrested.

or you did something wrong, and because the cop is on a bad mood they add "flashcart possesion and drugs" into the list..

enough of trying to be funny story. what i mean is.
there is a difference in being allowed and doing it...
the truth is, no one will care about that shit, that you own backups of your games or not, arrest someone because owning illegal copies of movies\music etc is really really rare.. (unless you sell them)
because every single person that owns a computer does it, or at some point did it indirectly.. (your niece tried to download a game on your computer..)

but if you do something bad to someone or are targeted.. this kind of stuff can contribute to your penalty..

D

Deleted User

one day your dog gets lost and you decide to call the police
or: one day your "in-law" comes rampaging at your house and you have to call the police

so the police comes, they look around and see you have flashcarts on the table. instead helping you, you get arrested.

or you did something wrong, and because the cop is on a bad mood they add "flashcart possesion and drugs" into the list..

enough of trying to be funny story. what i mean is.
there is a difference in being allowed and doing it...
the truth is, no one will care about that shit, that you own backups of your games or not, arrest someone because owning illegal copies of movies\music etc is really really rare.. (unless you sell them)
because every single person that owns a computer does it, or at some point did it indirectly.. (your niece tried to download a game on your computer..)

but if you do something bad to someone or are targeted.. this kind of stuff can contribute to your penalty..

Well yeah, I know it's rare.
That doesn't mean that they're not going to do some crazy shit to sites like this. We might not ever be able to get flashcarts in the US again.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ESA - Fucking people who back up their ROMs and ISO images they legally purchased six ways from Sunday.

Fucktards. I hope they go under :evil:

BTW, there's no way this can be easily enforced, so just another day.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will be sending this to my State Rep who's both a Libertarian and a Pirate not to mention a friend of mine.

I know state officials don't have much say in this, but if we can get the National LP and PP involved we can fight this. Both groups were involved in getting SOPA/PIPA/COICA shot down.

I'm sorry, but if an online game loses official support, users are supposed to just forget about all the money they spent on said game? Doesn't seem fair to me at all. Setting up unofficial servers for abandoned games should be a protected action. Nobody should have the ability to take that away.

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
MURRICA
Okay, more seriously, it's not gonna affect anyone, it would've been known if anti piracy laws were completely enforced, at least a third of the world's population would be in prison.

Reactions: Hiccup

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will be sending this to my State Rep who's both a Libertarian and a Pirate not to mention a friend of mine.

I know state officials don't have much say in this, but if we can get the National LP and PP involved we can fight this. Both groups were involved in getting SOPA/PIPA/COICA shot down.

I'm sorry, but if an online game loses official support, users are supposed to just forget about all the money they spent on said game? Doesn't seem fair to me at all. Setting up unofficial servers for abandoned games should be a protected action. Nobody should have the ability to take that away.
I'm calling my rep to and my local parties to act against it

weiff

Trophies
XP
Country
So my last post was not exactly pertinent... but I did come up with something else when talking to a co-worker.

If this passes, that would mean action replay and any legal purchased cheat system would be now illegal to sell and own.

EDIT: Crap... only took nine years but I hit 200 posts. Time to go silent mode again.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Retr0Capez

Gone and forgotten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ESA does not understand that when you buy something, you own it. ROMS are a different thing, but uploading the software from that old game (EarthBound for example) and creating a hack, or changing the code, is not really hacking. If this was the case, the military should be charged with this because they have modified Windows XP, or then all Linux Distros because they are just modifications of UNIX. And even every company that makes Android devices should be shut down because they are modifing the original Android software. This won't ever happen guys, its just the ESA bitching again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: The animators knew what they were doing.