JGSM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys,

I have 2 Switches, but I don't intend to use one of them for a while.
I'll look for tutorials on how to disconnect the battery from the unit, but the question is: how safe is that in the long term?
I intend to reconnect it every few months just for charging.

Thanks in advance!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Disconnecting is not going to do too much for you here -- if it is still in the case it still risks going puffy and blowing out the case/screen.
The reason for disconnecting anything is to avoid something called quiescent current which is current drawn from the battery to power clocks, standby LEDs and whatever else, which the Switch has minimal of really. If you had a standalone charger then that would be fine as well.
On top of that basic chemistry means self discharge will still be a thing, and likely the larger factor, so yeah stick something on the calendar to say "time to charge the switch".

Reactions: JGSM and binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disconnecting is not going to do too much for you here -- if it is still in the case it still risks going puffy and blowing out the case/screen.
The reason for disconnecting anything is to avoid something called quiescent current which is current drawn from the battery to power clocks, standby LEDs and whatever else, which the Switch has minimal of really. If you had a standalone charger then that would be fine as well.
On top of that basic chemistry means self discharge will still be a thing, and likely the larger factor, so yeah stick something on the calendar to say "time to charge the switch".

Absolutely correct.

It’s good to take it out and actually play it for a bit. Storing it fully charged or fully depleted is bad too.

bottom Line: LiPos hate to be ignored.

https://www.rotor.sg/blog/1_tips-to-avoid-a-swollen-battery.html

Reactions: JGSM and BigOnYa

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
realistically regardless of scare tactics the battery will hold its charge for years in storage typically you want to have the battery around 75% or so for best results and is exactly why you get most devices you buy charged around that range. what you never want to do though is leave a battery "dead" for too long

Last edited by deathblade200,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-