Hacking Preloader or StarPatch?

dacore84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everybody.

Been reading some threads but before I proceed I would like to be a 100% sure of what I´m doing.

I got a PAL Wii with SM 3.2E and a Wiikey chip on 1.9g.

Have installed hbc and bootmii on boot2 (yay). Also made a NAND dump and saved it on like 4 different locations.

So here are the noob questions:

1. For some reason I´d like to stay on 3.2E if possible and as far as I know the game Punch Out (and other new games) is updating the SM to 3.4E or similar (or even 4.1). Is that correct?

2. What can I do to prevent that? Should I use Preloader or StarPatch? I´ve heard these programs has a update blocker option. They won´t intervene with bootmii?

3. Can I even use StarPatch on 3.2E or is it called StarFall for that SM? And StarPatch for newer SM?

4. Are there any disadvantages to go from 3.2 to 4.1?

5. Should I use the wireless update function or Waninkokos 4.1 updater?

6. I´ve installed USB Loader 1.5. Should/could I also install USB Loader GX? Is the later one a better choice?

Thanks in advance!

/dacore

computerboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
dacore84 said:
Hi everybody.

Been reading some threads but before I proceed I would like to be a 100% sure of what I´m doing.

I got a PAL Wii with SM 3.2E and a Wiikey chip on 1.9g.

Have installed hbc and bootmii on boot2 (yay). Also made a NAND dump and saved it on like 4 different locations.

So here are the noob questions:

1. For some reason I´d like to stay on 3.2E if possible and as far as I know the game Punch Out (and other new games) is updating the SM to 3.4E or similar (or even 4.1). Is that correct? Yes, most likely

2. What can I do to prevent that? Should I use Preloader or StarPatch? Your choice really but if you want just update blocking go with Startpatch (don't think it works on 3.2) I´ve heard these programs has a update blocker option. They won´t intervene with bootmii? No, not in the slightest

3. Can I even use StarPatch on 3.2E or is it called StarFall for that SM? And StarPatch for newer SM? Yes, use Starfall for 3.2 and StartPatch for 4.0 and 4.1

4. Are there any disadvantages to go from 3.2 to 4.1? No, apart if you update through Nintendo your IOSs won't have the thrucha bug anymore

5. Should I use the wireless update function or Waninkokos 4.1 updater? Waninkokos keeps the trucha bug in your IOSs

6. I´ve installed USB Loader 1.5. Should/could I also install USB Loader GX? Is the later one a better choice? USB Loader GX does the same as USB Loader 1.5 but with more features

Thanks in advance!

/dacore

kama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If staying on 3.2, you use Starfall.

The only advantages as far as I know for going to 4.1 are:

Playing channels from the SD card
Being able to go to the Shop Channel to purchase games legally
Not having to worry about a game forcing an update on you.

If you do decide to update, Preloader gives you some more options for the System Menu. (Like being able to move unmovable saves)

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Preloader/hacks

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I like preloader because you can set up an autobooting dol file. That can be an USB-loader, or CrazyIntro for example which lets you define buttons on the wiimote to boot directly to a channel

nicksasa

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
install bootmii as boot2 first, then use startpatch and then install preloader
smile.gif
if you load sysmenu from preloader then, your loadign the startpatched sysmenu
wink.gif
so you have it both

dacore84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you SO MUCH guys for your great answers! That made it a lot more clear.

Just one thing kama, you said:

"Not having to worry about a game forcing an update on you."

What do you mean by that? Can I refuse to update and still play the games?

Oh and one more thing. I´ve just put Punch Out on the usb-stick. If I´m about to try the game out now (through USB Loader) could it update to 3.4/4.1 or whatever without my knowledge? Or do I have to accept any updates? It won´t do anything automatically?

(sry for bad English, I´m just a stupid Swed ^^)

jakejm79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With Preloader there is a hack to block updates, so if you are on 3.2 and you play Punchout it wont ask you to update if you have that hack enabled. When you rip games to a USB device the update is removed from the game so you don't need to worry about it when playing games from USB.

dacore84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
jakejm79 said:
With Preloader there is a hack to block updates, so if you are on 3.2 and you play Punchout it wont ask you to update if you have that hack enabled. When you rip games to a USB device the update is removed from the game so you don't need to worry about it when playing games from USB.

Oh, so you mean if I play games through my USB stick I don´t have to worry about any updates since they aren´t even on the stick?

It´s only if I burn the game to a DVD I should be alert about any updates?

If that´s the case then it´s great.

Thnx!

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
dacore84 said:
jakejm79 said:

Oh, so you mean if I play games through my USB stick I don´t have to worry about any updates since they aren´t even on the stick?

It´s only if I burn the game to a DVD I should be alert about any updates?

If that´s the case then it´s great.

Thnx!

yes, usb loaders ignore the updates in the iso

dacore84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thnx everyone for all fast replies. It has really helped me out.

ATM I´m satisfied just to be able to play games from the usb stick. So if the USB loader automatically ignores all updates I maybe don´t even have to install Preloader/StarPatch or similar?

I got bootmii installed as boot2 so I guess that´s the safest thing to achieve with a Wii (yeah I have made the NAND dump)? So I shouldn´t really have to use preloader as any safety reason either, or?

Thanks again everyone!

Edit: So if I´m about to run a game from a DVD I got the choice to brickblock it or install preloader and activate the update block option? It will be the same result?

LufianGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to add in my two cents USB Loader 1.5 Config is way better than USB Loader GX. At the very least on my wii it has performed way better.

Bootmii as Boot2 with a good NAND dump is as safe as a wii can get, I don't think you need more than that, but I could be wrong.

dacore84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
LufianGuy said:
Just to add in my two cents USB Loader 1.5 Config is way better than USB Loader GX. At the very least on my wii it has performed way better.

Bootmii as Boot2 with a good NAND dump is as safe as a wii can get, I don't think you need more than that, but I could be wrong.

Ok thnx. So no reason to try out USB Loader GX then huh?

Are there any "big" differences between the programs or just small ones? I suppose I can have them both installed at the same time otherwise to try them out (or if one Loader gives me problem with a game, maybe the other Loader can handle it)?

Are there any games that has problems with any of the Loaders? Heard something about Pikmin and Wii Sport Resorts and so on.

Edit: And also. Are there anyway to send the .png covers wireless to the SD card in the Wii? Or do I have to plug it into my PC card reader everytime I exchange the games on the usb stick to get the covers?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
dacore84 said:
Ok thnx. So no reason to try out USB Loader GX then huh?just try usbloader GX and see by yourself which one you want to use.
You can have all the loader in your apps folder and launch the one you want.

QUOTE(dacore84 @ Aug 21 2009, 04:52 PM) Edit: And also. Are there anyway to send the .png covers wireless to the SD card in the Wii? Or do I have to plug it into my PC card reader everytime I exchange the games on the usb stick to get the covers?
The advantage of GX over official 1.5 is it will download the cover over wifi automaticaly (when wiitdb.com will be up again, in few days).
the covers can be saved on SD, or on a FAT32 partition on your usb.

Else, you can always use ftpii to transfer files from/to your computer from/to your wii without removing the SD or USB.
(Attention, some ftp client seems to be buggy with ftpii. Filezilla is recommanded)

About games with problems :
pikmin is working fine.
Wii Sports Resort just need to run a file (the wii motion plus video explanation) to activate the game. (GX can do it, when 1.5 can't)
all other problematic games have their solving process explained everywhere on gbatemp or the wiki

Just for you to know, you don't need starfall or a preloader to play games with updates if you use an USB loader.
if you run them on the channel, you can patch them with WUM before burning to remove the update partition, and patch the IOS (with IOS patcher) to an IOS your wii has.
for example, if games is trying to run on IOS53, you can patch it to run on IOS36 present in 3.2E, and the game will work the same way. (or use dop-IOS to install individual IOS without updating the wii)
You can patch video mode, IOS, languages, country, etc.
all the patching can be done before burning with Generic Wii Patcher (except fix 002b like Wii sports Resort, but usbloaders can fix it)

if you wish to copy a protected save file, you can use menuloader to reboot the wii in nocopy flag removed. it's like a starfall but in memory until reboot.
same for Channel region free.

I'm a hardcore to make all this stuff manually as I like to know what I'm doing, but you can install starfall and make it automatically for you.

dacore84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyan said:
dacore84 said:
Ok thnx. So no reason to try out USB Loader GX then huh?just try usbloader GX and see by yourself which one you want to use.
You can have all the loader in your apps folder and launch the one you want.

QUOTE(dacore84 @ Aug 21 2009, 04:52 PM) Edit: And also. Are there anyway to send the .png covers wireless to the SD card in the Wii? Or do I have to plug it into my PC card reader everytime I exchange the games on the usb stick to get the covers?
The advantage of GX over official 1.5 is it will download the cover over wifi automaticaly (when wiitdb.com will be up again, in few days).
the covers can be saved on SD, or on a FAT32 partition on your usb.

Else, you can always use ftpii to transfer files from/to your computer from/to your wii without removing the SD or USB.
(Attention, some ftp client seems to be buggy with ftpii. Filezilla is recommanded)

About games with problems :
pikmin is working fine.
Wii Sports Resort just need to run a file (the wii motion plus video explanation) to activate the game. (GX can do it, when 1.5 can't)
all other problematic games have their solving process explained everywhere on gbatemp or the wiki

Just for you to know, you don't need starfall or a preloader to play games with updates if you use an USB loader.
if you run them on the channel, you can patch them with WUM before burning to remove the update partition, and patch the IOS (with IOS patcher) to an IOS your wii has.
for example, if games is trying to run on IOS53, you can patch it to run on IOS36 present in 3.2E, and the game will work the same way. (or use dop-IOS to install individual IOS without updating the wii)
You can patch video mode, IOS, languages, country, etc.
all the patching can be done before burning with Generic Wii Patcher (except fix 002b like Wii sports Resort, but usbloaders can fix it)

if you wish to copy a protected save file, you can use menuloader to reboot the wii in nocopy flag removed. it's like a starfall but in memory until reboot.
same for Channel region free.

I'm a hardcore to make all this stuff manually as I like to know what I'm doing, but you can install starfall and make it automatically for you.

Thank you very much for your well written answer. That also explains a lot. I´ve learned more today about Wii and homebrew then I have for the last two years all together.

dacore84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyan said:
You are welcome ^^
I like explaining and giving links to all the apps I'm talking about.
But sometime I will explain a lot more than asked, sorry
wink.gif

Nah that´s allright. Better to get more than less info
smile.gif

Hope you can bare with me but new questions pop up all the time.
The USB Loader 1.5 is working perfectly but as everyone else has evolved I´d like that also.

Read some in the USB Loader GX thread, but there´s almost 700 pages so it´s taking forever.
A n00b as myself can´t understand half of it.

Hopefully someone can answer this questions also?:

1. Gecko OS is also a kind of USB Loader to boot games from USB devices?

2. Ocarina is a cheat application? Can I use it separetly from Gecko OS or is it _only_ implemented in Gecko?

3. SDUSB-Loader and NeoGamma is also Loaders?

4. Is it correct that a dol forwarder is just like a shortcut to run applications from your SD card?

5. I saw that USB Loader GX could be installed as both "channel" and "forwarder". I got HBC and USB Loader 1.5 as icons on the SM. I´m pretty sure that´s channel installations and they are working fine. Any mening to install as "forwarder"?

6. If I install an application as channel it goes to the NAND memory? How "big" is the NAND memory? Is it ok to install applications as channel or should I sometimes prefer dol forwarder?

7. Is it harder to remove a program if it´s installed as a channel than a forwader? If it´s on the SD Card it´s just to delete it huh and no harm is done to the Wii itself?

8. Right after I installed HBC I made a NAND-backup. Is it ok (even smart) to do a new (a second) NAND backup when all applications is installed? If I should brick my Wii, could i choose which one of those NAND-backups to reinstall with?

9. After reading some about the USB Loader GX the manual says: "You will need to have any 1 or more of cIOS 249rev9 or greater, cIOS222, or cIOS 223.". I kind of know what i cIOS is but how do I check which ones I already got? I got a tool called "title_lister" with a boot.dol. Anyone heard of that one? If anyone have, could I just put that folder in the apps folder on the SD card and run it from HBC? I think that app will create a list of all cIOS currently installed.

10. I know for sure I got "cIOS36 rev10" installed. Can/should I also install "cIOS36 rev11" (or newer)? Will that replace the old one or will they go hand in hand?

11. Is "cIOS 249rev9" actually also called cIOS38 or something?

12. What is the difference between a WAD installation and a Network installation? I thought I should use WAD installation if I got the WAD-files on the SD-card. Is network installation in case I don´t got any SD-card and can install the WAD wireless from my computer?

Wow, really hope I don´t get flamed about this (all n00b questions). Well thanks a million in advance if someone got the time to answer a few or all questions.

Best regards / dacore (sry for bad English)

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
BOTH and bootmii.....I have all 3 JUST IN CASE

"Can never be 2 safe" as they say
tongue.gif

in regard to the MANY pages of GX (only the last few will have any relevence your better following the source link from the front page (cyrex's first post in that thread) and then look at the recent builds change log the fact is Usb Loader GX sometimes gets a few revisions A DAY
ohmy.gif
its a VERY ALIVE project and it is ever innovating
wink.gif
you need not worry about more than say the last dozen pages or so because any issues in the first few HUNDRED have likely been addressed since there posts
wink.gif

dacore84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
vettacossx said:
BOTH and bootmii.....I have all 3 JUST IN CASE

"Can never be 2 safe" as they say
tongue.gif

in regard to the MANY pages of GX (only the last few will have any relevence your better following the source link from the front page (cyrex's first post in that thread) and then look at the recent builds change log the fact is Usb Loader GX sometimes gets a few revisions A DAY
ohmy.gif
its a VERY ALIVE project and it is ever innovating
wink.gif
you need not worry about more than say the last dozen pages or so because any issues in the first few HUNDRED have likely been addressed since there posts
wink.gif

Thank you very much for your answer and sry if I´m a bit slow but which question did you answer? =)

Yes I will off course continue reading as much as possible (about GX and other things) but sometimes you understand 99% of something but not the last 1%
tongue.gif

dacore84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone know a few of them?

Also another one:

13. Could someone explain the difference between "cIOS38 rev 14" (which contains "cIOS38_rev14-Installer.dol") and "IOS38-64-v3610.wad"?

In the readme file for cIOS38rev14 it says:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"[ REQUISITES ]:

- "IOS38-64-v3610.wad" original WAD file (for WAD installation).
- Network connection (for Network installation).

[ HOW TO INSTALL IT ]:

WAD Installation:

- Copy "IOS38-64-v3610.wad" file to the root of a SD card.
- Insert the SD card on your Wii.
- Run the installer and select "WAD Installation".

Network Installation:

- Run the installer and select "Network Installation"."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What to they mean by "installer"? Is that the .dol file which I run from HBC? Is the .dol just a loader and the .wad is the actual cIOS?
blink.gif

Also what is the difference between WAD and Network installation? Could I just copy the .dol file (skip the .WAD file) to the SD card and make a Network installation and download the "IOS38-64-v3610.wad"-file over the net?

Best Regards
/dacore

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.