Preloader issues (Preloder...re-load isn't working)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by rutny, Jun 7, 2009.

1. rutny
    OP

Member rutny GBAtemp Regular

United States
    did the banner bomb/preloader deal and now the system menus is corrupted.. ok so I am in the beginning stages of panic because I have read up and it seems as those this issue is fairly common....however...in rebooting the Wii with the reset button pushed...I get into the homebrew channel...reload the preloader...and...DAMN! Right back to the corrupted message. I am praying here that someone has an idea of how I can fix this!!
    Thanks in advance!
    EDIT:
    Ok so I am about to go into full panic mode (I dont wanna have to give up MY Wii to this due) I have tried reloading the peloader oh about 5-10 times...same problem...something also is weird...My Wiimote became disconnect with the system a couple of times too. I had to boot up into the error screen whilst pressing the link buttons quickly to get it to link back up. Also, here were the directions I used for this:

Still panicking....I did notice a few more things

1) There was a game in the system the entire time (what a dumb#*& for not checking)

Took it out, tried booting up, went into the HBC, reloaded preloader.....corrupted

Also noticed that in the settings, the system menu IOS was not "50"(I think it said like 35)
    Now on the main screen it says:
    IOS v50
    Systemmenu v385

I changed the settings to show "50" as it does on the main preloader screen...then reloaded preloader....corruption!

One last thing..I am not sure what the true system menu version is at this point but originally I believe it was 4.0u (although I could be wrong)

Thanks in advance

2. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    Ohhh your problem is really simple, you are on SysMenu 3.4, and preloader is not compatible with 3.4, so your next step is to use Firmware downgrader and either go to 4.0 (yak what a looser you are [​IMG]) or 3.2 (FTW) and then reinstall preloader, and if you can install bootmii and do a backup (when you have your system working) that will save your @$$ even in major dissasters like this...!! [​IMG]

3. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Yes, you should be using Firmware Upgrader for that!

4. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    As per ollie, use the Waninkoko Firmware upgrader 4.0 for it.

Firmware Downgrader 1.11 doesn't install IOS60 needed by 4.0...Even though you appear to already have it based on those instructions you posted.

You'd be better off reinstalling IOS60 over itself than not having one at all (missing IOS60 on 4.0 causes a full brick).

5. rutny
    OP

United States
    Hark..what is that?? A light at end of the dark tunnel? Ok enough with the theatrics..although I have hope here based on the comments. Needless to say I'm scared to constipation (decided to keep it clean)
    Judging from what I read from above..comments though I am slighty confused.

1) Do I attempt to get this to 3.2 or 4.0 (It was originally 4.something) I will be wanting to set this up with a back-up loader

2) Whichever way I go (downgrader to get to 3.2 or upgrader to 4.0) Can you give me a link to the program (Although with the exact name I could do a google search)

3) As I can get into HBC..could or should I do bootmii now to save what I have (even though it is a partial brick...better than a full one)?

4) Should re-do any part of the above steps by itself or do the above steps and run the downloader/uploader?

Thanks!!

6. SanzioSan

Newcomer SanzioSan Advanced Member

United States
    The same exact thing is happening to my wii. Whenever i installed preloader on my 4.0 wii it gives me a currupt message
    i tried reinstalling it again and get the same message. What i did to fix it is install system menu 4.0 wad and the currupt
    message goes away. But preloader doesnt exsit any more. If i try to install it, the menu gets currupted again. So for now
    im living without preloader :/

7. rutny
    OP

United States
    Sanzio thanks for the tip...if the rest of the crew cannot get to where you are WITH preloader..well, I'll ride in the boat with you! Keep an eye on this thread though..maybe we can both safely get ...with preloader in our pocket (Personally this isnt mine...so I'd rather have it on there..the dude this belongs to..is completely computer illeterate....if he screws something up..I wanna have a chance to try to fix it). Thanks again!!

8. rutny
    OP

United States
    Anyone know the answers to these questions?

9. powser

Newcomer powser Advanced Member

It's already been answered. Preloader is not compatible with your current system menu. Go check out the "Ultimate System Menu 4.0 guide" in the first few pages of this forum and follow the steps.

And yes, doing a bootmii install and nand backup now is a good idea as it ensures u can still get into HBC. If whatever u do screws up the systemmenu AND preloader (which you currently have), you can say hello to a new oversized paper weight.

10. rutny
    OP

United States
    [​IMG]

Um already can get in to HBC as it is.... again above

11. powser

Newcomer powser Advanced Member

1. Sorry I wasn't clear enough, the "System 4.0 ultimate guide" includes 3.2 in it's guide (in the offline version anyway).

2. If u uninstall IOS or generally install a 3.2 or 4.0 system menu and somehow errored out, only bootmii will be able to save you. So you should get bootmii asap. A failed system menu install will most probably mean u can't load HBC anymore

12. rutny
    OP

United States
    [​IMG]
    That makes better sense...and thanks for re-explaining for me. There some questionable things on that guide...and sadkly I dont have time to surf through 60 odd pages hunting for an answer that might not be there:
    Is that a question or a statement? I certainly wouldnt wanna install that if it won't work?
    When exactly...if I did install it...would I? NOW, while I can get into HBC?

Thanks again for clarification!

13. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Well For
    He is saying that if your wii doesn't work with Bootmii follow the guide at your own risk since even if all the wads are clean and you follow the guide there is a small chance to brick your wii if you cut the power from your wii while installing system menu so just try installing bootmii and make a NAND backup before you start if it doent work just make sure not to close your wii when you are installing the system menu and IOS and install preloader before rebooting

14. rutny
    OP

United States
    ok so I try to load bootmii first...and well there was nothing I could find ....google..youtube...that really showed you how to install bootmii....I unpacked the folder and had another folder named hackmii_installer_beta2 ...open that and four files credit installer.elf license and readme.

First, do I need to install Hackmii...to be able to install Bootmii?
    Second what files go where?
    what a mess...and thanks for reading [​IMG])

15. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    First hackmii is not a program it just contain dvdx new homebrewchannel and bootmii you can chose which to install and for the files just rename installer.elf to boot.elf and but the folder in the apps folder in you memory card

16. rutny
    OP

United States
    Well, that is not going to work. It said something about not having a vulnerable IOS. This is getting a little too complicated.

To run Bootmii I have to mess with some IOS's....doing that may brick my Wii...as when done..I lose the preloader.

I think I am really stuck here

17. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    guessing you have installed cioscorp that causes problems with beta 2 installer, hmm maybe try hackmii beta 1 if you can find it that should work for ya.

18. xlqdmagikx

Newcomer xlqdmagikx Newbie

United States
    You do not need to update downgrade or change anything on your wii if it is version 3.1U v3.0 3.0, or earlier

all you need to use is the CIOSCORP installer from the homebrew channel.

The directions I am using tell me to do quite a few things before these steps, but I had an issue with "IOSdowngrader" that I solved

My softmod instructions tell me to:

- install IOS60patched.wad than restart wii

- Launch Homebrew Channel again and run cios rev10 installer (funky music
    ! choose network install!) It may freeze, restart wii

- Launch Homebrew channel again and run IOSdowngrader:

When I pressed A, to agree and continue nothing happened, it just prompted me to hit A immediately to restart the wii

It seemed like it did nothing, nothing installed, nothing changed

I learned that there was nothing for IOSdowngrader to do b/c i was at 3.1u which is OLD

-run cioscorp was the next step, I did it, and it worked, it installed everything fine.

that was the last step for my instructions but i was nervous to do it since ios downgrader did nothing

All my games play fine via usb drive (usb loader gx) that are supposed to work at this stage.

I will be upgrading it to 4.1u in ten minutes from now for all the new games, so if I do not post again, that means everything worked perfect for me though IOSdowngrader did nothing but prompt me to restart, OK to continue