PPSSPP Switch Beta Release

1.jpg

PPSSPP/Libretro Switch Public Beta by m4xw
==========================================

After a lot of work, I am very happy to share this with all of you.
Audio & Video support works, many core options cause Issues tho.

It is mandatory to "Close Content" after changing any Core option and restarting RetroArch, else it will potentially crash, don't close the RetroArch menu!

Special thanks to hrydgard for everything he has done for the PPSSPP Project.
If you want to support his work, consider buying PPSSPP Gold https://central.ppsspp.org/buygold even if you don't use it!

I will PR it once the libretro port is finished, also implemented half of what's needed for a Standalone port ;)
Source is on my Github, but it's highly WIP and needs a custom RA and a custom ffmpeg, so you should just wait if you want to build it yourself ;)

Libretro Docs (important informations for this core):
https://docs.libretro.com/library/ppsspp/
Official Game Compatibility Tracker (your mileage might vary): https://report.ppsspp.org/games

GitHub (WIP Switch): https://github.com/m4xw/ppsspp/
GitHub (Official): https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp

Installation Instructions

Drag & Drop the "retroarch" folder to the root of your SD, overwriting any file (it will not touch any options).
Assets are bundled, so you don't have to bother with that.

Notes

If you are using ANY method of loading RetroArch OTHER than Atmosphere's title redirection feature, DO NOT report issues that you encounter.
These issues can skew testing and could very well be caused by loading through an unsupported method.

Video slowdowns are related to missing hardware accelerated decoding (nvdec), it's not a libretro/PPSSPP Issue.
FMV cut-scenes will be fine.

Updates

Added JIT and JIT Vertex Decoder Support
- When loading Savestates with JIT, make sure to instantly open the RetroArch Menu again and wait for it to complete loading
- This is a libretro specific bug (not switch port related) and will be fixed later on

-Added Vertex JIT Core option (turning it off fixes some games currently)
-Added Disable slow Framebuffer effects Core option (Speedhack)
-Increased Savestate Chunk size to 4MB (speeds up savestate load, ~2sec)
-Band-Aid for Savestate load + Save (no more opening menu for them to work)
-Renamed "IR JIT" to "IR Interpreter"
-Removed Threaded IO Core option (non-functional)
-Removed Non-Buffered Rendering Core option (non-functional)
-General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

Download Link: <Please use the RetroArch Core updater>

Last edited by m4xw,

stellarr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You don't even need that max overclock for it to run with no problems. Make sure you are on JIT and if it still bothers you reinstall retroarch

I did update to the latest nightly and I'm using JIT. Also making sure to boot by pressing R on a switch game. So really I don't know what's giving me a black screen because Dissidia won't boot at all, straight to black screen. Also found that it's most likely saving states what gives black screens. Kind of annoying tho.

stellarr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont know what region you're using but get the USA Iso of Dissidia 012.
That's the one I'm using. It won't even boot. Makes me think my cores for ppspp might not be the right ones but after all it's the one that comes with the nightly I'm guessing? Idk, I do think I've tried everything but psp games just won't work properly for me.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the one I'm using. It won't even boot. Makes me think my cores for ppspp might not be the right ones but after all it's the one that comes with the nightly I'm guessing? Idk, I do think I've tried everything but psp games just won't work properly for me.

When's the last time you updated the PPSSPP core? You might have to try what aishill said and reinstall Retroarch. But I also don't think it's a bad idea to try overclocking Retroarch as I said before. I have kept Retroarch overclocked since January and not had an issue. I believe overclocking is completely safe the devs know what they're doing. Even Nintendo is starting to tinker with overclocking certain games.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

stellarr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When's the last time you updated the PPSSPP core? You might have to try what aishill said and reinstall Retroarch. But I also don't think it's a bad idea to try overclocking Retroarch as I said before. I have kept Retroarch overclocked since January and not had an issue. I believe overclocking is completely safe the devs know what they're doing. Even Nintendo is starting to tinker with overclocking certain games.
I updated it just today using the online updater inside Retroarch and I did reinstall it as well today. I also always run overclocked Retroarch so it's not that either. Don't really know why it's not running on my switch specifically.

stellarr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You could try to turn off the speedhacks in the options. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

Tried that as you said and still won't boot, I do hope to find a solution eventually. I am running SX OS with 8.0 firmware, don't know if that has any effect on it. Can run pretty much anything but psp games.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried that as you said and still won't boot, I do hope to find a solution eventually. I am running SX OS with 8.0 firmware, don't know if that has any effect on it. Can run pretty much anything but psp games.

I'm on SX OS with 8.0.1 firmware and it works for me.

stellarr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm on SX OS with 8.0.1 firmware and it works for me.
Honestly I find it very very weird that we have the same stuff basically and it will work for you and not for me. I honestly believe there must be something wrong with my core or something. Dissidia won't boot at all and I've tried every option possible, don't really know what much to do at this point, hope someone had my problem and somehow fixed it, or that it gets fixed in future updates...

KushAstronaut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know what is causing this message?

K6Z7x8CY.png

This happens as soon as I attempt to load Bleach: Heat the Soul 7. I tried translating it and it says something about an abnormal memory stick. I'm on 8.1.0, using Atmosphere, I've reinstalled both RetroArch and PPSSPP, and other PSP games work fine. I've tried other copies of this game and this is the only one that shows something other than a black screen.

Shismouche

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello.

I was wondering how to apply cheats.

I have codes like :

_S ULES-01044
_G Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII [EU]
_C0 Infinite Gil
_L 0x20244268 0x05F5E0FF

Can I apply them directly ?

Otherwise how should I do it ?

Thank you very much !

stellarr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just a heads up in case someone had my issue. I got a black screen, couldn't save or even boot some games, etc on PPSSPP, turns out all I was missing was the assets! I used the online updater but that didn't actually download them. You need to go over the libreto here and follow the instructions! Once I did that games are running smoothly, Dissidia is working now and I have no problems whatsoever, cheers and hope the emulator only gets better!

dazedandconfused

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im having an issue. PPSSPP core loads fine, followed instructions perfectly. But whenever i try to load a game i get an atmosphere error message each time. I have all the assests in the system folder and i have a gl video driver. Do i need Vulkan to run this emulator? If so how do i download it and add it to retroarch? Am a semi-noob and already proud i was able to get this far with my other emulators(GBA/GBC, DS, PS1). Help much appreciated!

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im having an issue. PPSSPP core loads fine, followed instructions perfectly. But whenever i try to load a game i get an atmosphere error message each time. I have all the assests in the system folder and i have a gl video driver. Do i need Vulkan to run this emulator? If so how do i download it and add it to retroarch? Am a semi-noob and already proud i was able to get this far with my other emulators(GBA/GBC, DS, PS1). Help much appreciated!

Vulkan is only for the Lakka and Linux which you have to boot in to this thread is about PPSSPP on Horizon the main OS. Are you trying to run it on Horizon or Lakka?

If Horizon you need to hold down R on a switch game and access the homebrew menu that way to get the extra ram and then launch Retroarch from there.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Symphony of the night in Dracula X Chronicles isn't running properly, it's slowing down a lot when there's some little 3D effects like the saving room for example, which is strange because the main game in only 3D runs pretty good (a little bit of inputlag, sometimes it's slowed for some micro seconds but overall it's good)

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Symphony of the night in Dracula X Chronicles isn't running properly, it's slowing down a lot when there's some little 3D effects like the saving room for example, which is strange because the main game in only 3D runs pretty good (a little bit of inputlag, sometimes it's slowed for some micro seconds but overall it's good)

That sucks but you could always go for the PS1 version instead with PCSX Rearmed.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yea I tried and it runs better, but I prefer the PSP version, it's superior imo, with french translation and more content. So I guess I'll wait for some updates if there's any ?

kevinbrew

Trophies
XP
Country
Yea I tried and it runs better, but I prefer the PSP version, it's superior imo, with french translation and more content. So I guess I'll wait for some updates if there's any ?
you need to disable speedhacks under the game options settings. it stops the flickering.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"