Hardware [PPOTW #31] 2 years later, have you got a Vita?

2 years later, have you got a Vita?

• Yes - Original

Votes: 233 34.5%
  • Yes - Slim

Votes: 13 1.9%
  • Yes - Vita TV (import)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • No - Waiting for Slim model

Votes: 44 6.5%
  • No - Waiting for Vita TV

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • No - No intention of buying any model

Votes: 331 49.0%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 45 6.7%

• Total voters

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No... received one as a gift and traded it in for a classic PSP and for a DS Lite to replace my broken one. But at some point far down the road, when it's nearing the end of its lifecycle, I'll pick one up to play the Personas and some other stray good game that pops up along the wayl.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fun as crap. Its really a great system. My only real complaint are the analog sticks. Im actually curious what others feel about them? After playing with the buttery smooth 3DS circle pad, I might be a bit biased against the Vita's convex sticks.
Better than the circle pad that's for sure.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surely Vita's sticks are better... I mean they have to be.. it's like the system's main feature in my view. Take them away and you're left with dpad and buttons which imo are not as good as PSP's.
When I felt a Vita at the store, I thought the sticks were excellent.
Plus they are in the place where they're supposed to be. I am kinda miffed about 3DS/2DS having the dpad and slider switched. I do appreciate the system at least has a slider, but still.

I don't have a Vita yet. I want a Vita, a 2DS, and a Samsung Galaxy Note 8... or 10. I will get one of those things when I sell my PS3. But I don't know which. Maybe I will get two of those things. Or all three. On top of that I kinda wanna get into PSP again, but then I'd be spread thin across multiple systems.

When on the internet, I keep talking about things which I don't have, but want. Sorry about that.
Who would want to board a sinking ship?
oh heeeeelll no

Cyberdrive

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
No - No intention of buying any model
...until it's hacked.

I already have PSP on CFW and 3DS with flashcarts which cover PS1+PSP+NDS+3DS games and emulation of older handhelds;
my softmodded PS2 and PS3 on CFW cover PS1+PS2 +PS3+ Vita libraries either partially or completely;
PC emulation makes up for the rest, excluding Xboxes, PS4 and Vita.

I'm not interested in MS consoles to begin with, and there's a fat chance that Xbone will be emulated due to its architecture.
PS4 may or may not be emulated, but it's too young to justify a purchase either way (unless it's softmodded).
Not to mention that due to current gen being x86-compatible, most its AAA games will have PC versions sooner or later.

This limits my choice of the next gaming machine to Vita with its exclusives and Shield with its superior hardware running Android.
I think I'll end up buying one or both of them, but I have no plans to do so in the near future. Yes, I'm ignoring tablets, Wii U, Ouya and so on.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm really tempted to trade in my 3ds towards a vita slim.

ResleyZ

Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It has already been two years since it released? Anyway, I bought a Vita 1000 model quite a while ago, about half a year ago I think, and enjoyed the (few) games I have for it. I got PS+ since January so that's nice to have, and bought Spyro 1, 2 and 3 on PSN as well as all the non-vita Disgaea games. I got Disgaea 3 and Persona 4 as card, and want to buy Project Diva F and Disgaea 4 when they get released. Most games don't seem that interesting to me, but I was glad that Blazblue was a PS+ game, which I have played for quite some time.

I also play 101-in-1 Megamix a lot, but not because it's a fun game.

Apart from the games, I really like the multimedia features they added, like wireless streaming from PC to Vita. The OLED screen makes my animu looks great, and the sound is pretty awesome too. Just a shame it doesn't natively support .mkv files

The one thing I really 'hate' from the Vita, are of course the way-too-expensive memory cards. I currently have a 2GB and a 8GB memory card, but with PS+ I don't have enough space for them, especially since 101-in-1 Megamix takes 7GB for storage.

oodhfshdfbs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am waiting for the vita tv to come to europe before making a decision, I like the idea of it and I hope sony bring it to the west. I have a 3ds but sort of wish that I had something similar with that, I don't play games while i'm on the move but a lot of titles that came out for mobile consoles have interested me.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
in 2015 some Games gonna get released that I'm actually looking forward to.
Until then I am semi interested in it. I didn't have a PSP and with Vita I could buy PSP Titles so that's definitely a plus.

Punkonjunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I've seriously thought about it. Was really digging in tonight, la-mulana portable would be amazing... spelunky, bordlerlands 2 bundle is kinda neat, too.

Then I googled up the memory cards. Expensive! No 64gb option for the hoarder yet. No MicroSD adapters, huh....

Google up sony's reasoning. "Bullshit antipiracy bs waaaaah" and "hurpadurp so they can be real fast and everyone will be the same fastness so no one loads faster or slower!"

Yeah, OK sony. So I google up a nice speedtest, measuring xfer out of known filesizes.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-how-fast-are-vita-memory-cards

Roughly class 4. Roughly 70 dollars above a microSD of the same speed for a 32gb.

Then I recalled this article; http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sony_bullshit

I might buy a vita.... but I doubt it. I could burn my cash and play almost everything I want to play on it with my PC. If sony would pick up a novel IP, or shit, sequel patapon or loco roco, I'd buy it instantly, foaming at the mouth, screaming out the door.... but they're doing what the 3ds is doing (sucking at first party) and doing it worse.

I don't know how, and I don't know why, but I'm starting to feel like my gigantic love for handhelds will mostly die with this generation.
At least my PSPGO is still an amazing emulation tank. And hopefully ninty keeps up with the indie love on the 3ds.

EDIT
Dev consoles have HDMI out, apparently. The 2000 it was apparently planned in development, but scrapped to plug vita TV. Goddamnit sony. God fucking damnit.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
I've seriously thought about it. Was really digging in tonight, la-mulana portable would be amazing... spelunky, bordlerlands 2 bundle is kinda neat, too.

Then I googled up the memory cards. Expensive! No 64gb option for the hoarder yet. No MicroSD adapters, huh....

Google up sony's reasoning. "Bullshit antipiracy bs waaaaah" and "hurpadurp so they can be real fast and everyone will be the same fastness so no one loads faster or slower!"

Yeah, OK sony. So I google up a nice speedtest, measuring xfer out of known filesizes.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-how-fast-are-vita-memory-cards

Roughly class 4. Roughly 70 dollars above a microSD of the same speed for a 32gb.

Then I recalled this article; http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sony_bullshit

I might buy a vita.... but I doubt it. I could burn my cash and play almost everything I want to play on it with my PC. If sony would pick up a novel IP, or shit, sequel patapon or loco roco, I'd buy it instantly, foaming at the mouth, screaming out the door.... but they're doing what the 3ds is doing (sucking at first party) and doing it worse.

I don't know how, and I don't know why, but I'm starting to feel like my gigantic love for handhelds will mostly die with this generation.
At least my PSPGO is still an amazing emulation tank. And hopefully ninty keeps up with the indie love on the 3ds.

EDIT
Dev consoles have HDMI out, apparently. The 2000 it was apparently planned in development, but scrapped to plug vita TV. Goddamnit sony. God fucking damnit.
The memory card thing is to prevent piracy and to make up for selling the console at loss.

Edit: also there are 64gb cards that you can import from Japan.

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
got the OLED model but might get a slim. but i still hate where sony put the start/select buttons, they should have put them in the same place that they had the psp's start/select buttons.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If sony would pick up a novel IP, or shit, sequel patapon or loco roco, I'd buy it instantly, foaming at the mouth, screaming out the door.... but they're doing what the 3ds is doing (sucking at first party) and doing it worse. (...) hopefully ninty keeps up with the indie love on the 3ds.
Honestly, I don't see why one would accuse Sony of "sucking at first party" on the PSVita when they've released games from most of their big name franchises on it - there's KillZone: Mercenary, LittleBigPlanet Vita, ModNation Racers: Road Trip, Everybody's Golf, Invizimals, Jak & Daxter Collection, Motorstorm RC, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Ratchet & Clank: QForce/Full Frontal Assault, Resistance: Burning Skies, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, WipeOut 2048, MLB: The Show 12, 13 and 14. On top of that, there's a slew of new IP's like Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, Escape Plan, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Tearaway and so on. There's more Sony first-party on the way - Freedom Wars, God of War Collection, PSVita Pets, Sly Trilogy, Soul Sacrifice Delta and more. If there's one thing you can't say about the PSVita then it's that it lacks first party content.

As far as the Indies are concerned, I'm pretty sure that the PSVita has a better offering of those than the 3DS - there's Hotline Miami, Limbo, Thomas Was Alone, Spelunky, Stealth Inc.: A Clone in the Dark, Velocity Ultra and so on with more on the way, like Hohokum, Fez, Rogue Legacy, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Switch Galaxy or Minecraft. Indies are another area where the PSVita excells.

I'm not one for list wars, believe me, I just wanted to point these two things out. :P

Reactions: TripleSMoon

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point in time, the only legitimate game I want for the Vita is its build of Katamari. I have yet to be disappointed with the franchise. At least its graphics don't offend my eyes like Minecraft does.

Seeing borderlands 2 coming with the new slim is a plus, and the changes to improve the slim actually seem like a net upgrade, instead of how nearly every Sony attempt at 'slimming' anything has almost always been a downgrade. But again, that's only maybe two games at most... Not enough to warrant a purchase, still. Especially when Sony is actively trying to block all the cool stuff such a handheld could be able to do via home-brew. Home-brew and the quality of the emulators is what got me interested in a PSP in the first place. As it is now, both my go and my repaired PSP 2000 are far more practical and usable than any version of the Vita at this time. Now, can that change? Absolutely. Do I hope it will change? Sure.

But yea, my biggest hangups against the Vita are mostly to do with:
  • Its price
  • Lack of games I would buy for it, and the scarcity of the titles in question (Katamari now is damn near impossible to find)
  • Price of required storage needed
  • Absolute lack of Homebrew unless you happened to luck out and buy a vulnerable game before it was pulled
Neither option is really all that appealing regarding the Vita. Honestly, it was more appealing to hunt down the vulnerable 3DS XL than it was to get a Vita of any flavor, or price.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got the original in February 2012; I think it might actually have been release day. I should check if it was.

I should play it more...I still have the 4 GB card; perhaps if I had a larger storage card that would be better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SMG4 @ SMG4: hi