Hacking Post the model of HDD's you've used with Dios-Mios

Did the FIRST hard drive you tried to use with Dios-Mios work for you?

• Yes.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • No.

Votes: 29 29.0%

• Total voters

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Internal Toshiba 500 gb HDD connected via USB to SATA/IDE cable, mounted on a NES cartridge (kind of an USB enclosure)
External source power
FAT32 - 32kb cluster size
Works fine on DIOS MIOS, Devolution, Sneek+Di, Any USB loader loader from HBC, Wiiware, VC, emulators, etc

Recently I made a more customizable enclosure using an old famicom clone to mount the NES cartridge, now all the SATA cables and source power are inside the console, the HDD still inside the cartridge. Here's a pic.

P.S. That Zanac cover on the cart is going to be modified to something more related to Wii

b9IxurG.jpg
WDys7fb.jpg

andalù 69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello .. I have read your post on gbatemp.net on the Hdd with Dios Mios and I thank you ... you still use the hdd wd passport or purchased for the best S / N is wdbacy5000abk-01 and the storage capacity of 500gb hdd? Which vers of Dios Mios you have installed on the wii?? your hdd it works ok? No freeze or spinning down or sleep mode? So you advise me to buy this hdd .. Sorry for my questions, and if I take the liberty to write to you without knowing you .. but I hope for your help! Thanks for your response! Hello and goodbye USA

andalù 69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hdd Samsung M3 portable
1 Tb
Mod:HX-M101TCB/G
USB Powered
USB:3.0
It's Working for you with Dios Mios: YES!!!
Dios Mios Used: 2.10
To format this hdd I used Easeus partition manager Fat 32 and 32 k clusters and active primary and everything works fine Both iso iso wii gamecube that everything on a disk and partition only
Here in Italy I bought this on ebay.it hdd for only 64 €! And I'm very happy!

Reactions: MassiveRican

bridabom73

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Western Digital/WD
500 GB
My Passport Ultra (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EAS8AA0/)
WDBPGC5000ABK-NESN
USB Power
External Hard Drive
DOES NOT WORK!
USB 3.0 compatable with 2.0

It usually goes to a black screen before the Dios Mios splash and freezes there. I have to reset the Wii and then load the game a couple more times until it'll load into the game. After a while of playing, the Wii just turns itself off. I'm returning this and getting the previous model (My Passport, not the Ultra; WDBKXH5000ABK-NESN; http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Y5UV4U/). It's basically the same, except someone already posted on here saying that it works. The only difference is that it doesn't have cloud backup. As an HDD for the Wii, that's not really necessary or even really usable. I will edit this after I receive it to confirm that it does actually work.

Right now, I'm using this adapter:
USB 2.0 to IDE & SATA Cable (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006597TYK/)
I don't know what brand it might be. There are a lot like it, and I'm sure they'll all work equally as well. The link is for one I found that looks like it, but the box doesn't look the same. It's probably not the exact same one I have, but it's really close.
External Power
IDE/SATA Adapter
Works!
USB 2.0

With this hard drive:
Western Digital/WD
60 GB
Caviar WD600AB-22CBA1
External Power
IDE Hard Drive
It's relatively old as far as I know, and it doesn't hold a lot. For the purposes of seeing if my Wii is fine and it's just my other drive that doesn't work, it's great. It works, but I wouldn't recommend it as there are better options. If you have one laying around like I did, though, it'll definitely work for you.
IDE to USB 2.0

EDIT:
I just got it today, and it's working perfectly. For anyone who wants to get the newest WD My Passport, make sure you don't get the Ultra, and you'll be fine!

Western Digital/WD
500 GB
My Passport (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Y5UV4U/)
WDBKXH5000ABK-NESN
USB Power
External Hard Drive
It DOES work!

N00B_IN_N33D

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brand: Seagate
Size: 500GB (1st partition: FAT32 - 32KB cluster size, 100GB / 2nd partition: NTFS, 400GB)
Model Name: FreeAgent Go
Model Number: 9KW2AH-502
Power Source: USB
HDD Type: External & Portable
USB: 2.0
Dios-Mios Compatible: ...
Yes_yes_yes.gif

Leo Alves

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Brand: Sony
Size: 1TB (931MB) (1st partition: FAT32 - 32KB cluster size, 780GB / 2nd partition: NTFS, 151GB)
Model Name: Sony HD-E1
Model Number: MQ01ABD100 (Crystal Disk Info says it's Toshiba O.o)
Power Source: USB
HDD Type: External & Portable
USB: 3.0

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Media-2-...SJQW2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_1/181-8814689-4849069

(I Bought in Brazil, it's easy to find in almost every store)

Compatible with Wii Games = YES
Compatible with Dios Mios = YES (Dios Mios 2.10)
Compatible with Homebrews and movies WiiMC = YES

Works great with all my backups
The only issue i have is when i use Sneek on SD card, everytime i load the System Menu or a channel, the HDD turns off and make a click noise, then start again, but this only happens on Sneek not on Real Nand so i do not worry too much, on real nand the only problem is if i Run Syscheck, uLoader or WiiXplorer with cIOS 222 the same click noise happens, but again, as i rarely use uLoader and Syscheck and prefer to load WiiXplorer with cIOS 202 i still do not worry about.

It's a good HDD, nice design, a little heavy but small and very portable, it's smaller than my 3DS XL. I recommend to who wants a good HDD with 3 year warranty and which works fine with Wii.

diesal11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Seagate Expansion
- size: 2TB
- model name: Expansion
- model number: STBV20003000
- Wall Socket Powered
- Stand Alone
- 3.5#
- Is it working for you with Dios-Mios? No
- USB 3.0
Never gets to loading screen, going to try WD My Passport tomorrow.

pBullet

SHSL Idol
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Western Digital/WD
500 GB
My Passport Ultra (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EAS8AA0/)
WDBPGC5000ABK-NESN
USB Power
External Hard Drive
DOES NOT WORK!

It usually goes to a black screen before the Dios Mios splash and freezes there. I have to reset the Wii and then load the game a couple more times until it'll load into the game. After a while of playing, the Wii just turns itself off. I'm returning this and getting the previous model (My Passport, not the Ultra; WDBKXH5000ABK-NESN; http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Y5UV4U/). It's basically the same, except someone already posted on here saying that it works. The only difference is that it doesn't have cloud backup. As an HDD for the Wii, that's not really necessary or even really usable. I will edit this after I receive it to confirm that it does actually work.

I actually just purchased this HDD:

O6nlYhh.png

I had similar issues that you described. When I partitioned the HDD, it defaulted to 64 bit clusters for FAT32. DIOS-MIOS wants 32 bit clusters for better compatibility. I went back and reformatted it to 32 bit clusters and now DIOS-MIOS works perfectly fine. Haven't had a single problem yet, and I'm in the middle of playing Kirby Air Ride

Reactions: masterpad

nonsensemejia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TOSHIBA CANVIO CONNECT PORTABLE EXTERNAL HDD
http://www.toshiba.com/us/accessories/Storage/Canvio-Connect-Portable-Hard-Drive/2TB/HDTC720XS3C1
2TB
MODEL: CANVIO
PRODUCT NUMBER: HDTC720XS3C1
USB POWERED
EXTERNAL HDD
IS IT WORKING WITH DIOS MIOS? -NO
USB 3.0/2.0 COMPATIBLE

I tested Dios Mios with a usb stick and it worked with the games I testing. Tried out the external drive in several ways:

1. Whole 2TB formatted to FAT32 with 32k clusters loaded Dios Mios just got the black screen no splash screen on both usb loader gx/cfg loader.
2. Partitioned the drive to have a 500gb for gamecube games as primary left the rest unallocated just to test. same as with #1
3. Then I tried with a mini usb cable 2.0 with the same results as #1.
4. Ran out of ideas gave up!

Gonna try to get a Western Digital HDD and see if that works.

portugeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Brand: Western Digital
- Capacity: 1TB
- Model Name: My Passport
- Model Number: WDBBEP0010BBK
- Power: USB powered
- HDD Type: Stand-Alone External
- Dimensions: (H = 1.78cm) x (W = 8.13cm) x (D = 11.18cm)
- Appearance: Black with graphical dot pattern.
- Is it working for you with Dios-Mios? YES
- USB: 3.0/2.0

Side note.. I love this thing. Before I bought this one I had a 500GB IDE drive that was inside of an external enclosure. And it worked just fine, but having to get up every time just to turn it on, whenever I wanted to play the Wii, defeated the purpose of having a console that turned on via wireless remote.

NOW, with this USB powered External drive, all I have to do is press the power button on the Wii remote and the drive starts up with the console.

Newbsauce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can anyone post which SD cards they use? I bought the blue 1TB per someones suggestions (still hasn't arrived yet) but don't want to waste money looking for an SD card too. I'd like to have the option of playing off of an SD card in addition to an HDD.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
- brand - Seagate
- model - ST332041 3CS
- size - 250GB
- separate power or USB powered - Separate power
- Is it a stand-alone hard drive, IDE/SATA adapter, or hard drive enclosure ... or even a flash drive ? - hard drive enclosure
- Physical size - 3'5
- other physical description - 95GB FAT32 partition formatted with 32K clusters and 155GB partition WBFS
- Is it working for you with Dios-Mios? Yes
- USB 2.0

todrick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seagate
1TB
Backup Plus Slim
STDR1000100
4.47"(L) x 2.99"(W) x 0.48"(D) (very small and sleek)
NOT working with DIOS MIOS

Wii games are fine, though.
USB 3.0 - I thought the transfer rate was very fast.
A good drive, too bad it's not compatible.

todrick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PNY
Attaché 2
64 GB
P-FD64GTBAT2-GE
Thumb Drive
NOT working with DIOS MIOS

Got this because I have an older 4GB PNY USB 2.0 drive that works wonderfully. Maybe that's the difference between the Attache and Attache 2.
It can get to DIOS MIOS screen, and sometimes it can get all the way to the memory card check in SSBM, but after choosing "continue without saving," it freezes.

Edit: There's a small chance I forgot to set it as "active," I can't quite remember

todrick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT:
I just got it today, and it's working perfectly. For anyone who wants to get the newest WD My Passport, make sure you don't get the Ultra, and you'll be fine!

Western Digital/WD
500 GB
My Passport (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Y5UV4U/)
WDBKXH5000ABK-NESN
USB Power
External Hard Drive
It DOES work!

I'm happy to confirm that this does work! I got this model refurbished, and it has handled everything I've thrown at it so far in a few hours of testing.

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hey guys what's up?

I recently had my external HDD (WD My Book essentials 750GB) fall down and tumble. As a result it frequently hangs or slows down considerably when playing Wii games. I now use my back up HDD i had for the Wii, a small 2.5'' 750gb Intenso drive ( The HDDs i talk about can be seen at this post).

There is one big big issue though... The Intenso drive does not work with Dios Mios.
As a result i have ''lost'' the ability to play many of GC games in my collection. I can only play the 23 originals i got through Devolution (and some of them have really long loading times due to the 5400rpm drive, like Eternal Darkness). Recently, with Nintendont, i can salvage another 35 additional GC games. There are still 50 more though that are ''lost''.

So now i am thinking about 2 possible solutions. Get a new HDD that works with DM, or get a biigger SD and have the GC games there with DM Lite.
The first option is of course much cheaper, so i'll try to go with that.

There are a couple of drives i have in mind, can anyone give me some feedback for them if he/she has tested any of the below with Dios Mios?
https://www.skroutz.gr/s/445498/Intenso-Memory-Case-2-5-USB-3-0-1TB.html
http://www.plaisio.gr/ypologistes-a...-5inches-WDBUZG0010BBK.htm#tabCharacteristics
http://www.kotsovolos.gr/site/compu...-my-passport-1tb-2.5-usb3-black?cmicc=skroutz
http://www.plaisio.gr/ypologistes-a...TB-Pas-Ultra-Slim-Blue-WDBZFP0010BBL-EESN.htm

I think the third one works with DM but i'd really apreciate some confirmation from anyone having experience with it, before pulling ther trigger. Thanks in advance.

BitBot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Mine is a WD Elements 2TB, externally powered, formatted FAT32 with 32kb clusters, USB 2.0.

Model: WDBAAU0020HBK-01

Has worked fine with Dios Mios, Devolution, Nintendont, backup loaders, and every emulator I've tried which supports USB.
There actually hasn't been anything that hasn't worked with this drive.

I previously used a WD MyPassport 500GB, Model: WDBACY500ABK-01, bus powered and USB 3.0 capable,
and never had any issues with it either, but that was before DM/Devolution/Nintendont; never tried those on the Passport.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/W-jzom3X0QU