• Replies 89
  • Likes 5

Moondrag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, since I have been playing Summon Night 3 (and Summon Night 1 but holy hell, that game has not aged well. I'm also planning on playing though Summon Night 2 since SN3's gaiden chapter has you controlling the PC from SN2) and I like the story for SN3 so far, I kinda want to see people translate SN3 first for the PSP. (Just in case for people who don't know, the SN3 PC, you can choose which one, appears in SN5. Plus having SN3 system data for SN4 unlocks all the usable units for the puppet system)

Then again, I'm all for any game in main Summon Night series getting translated, since the Summon Night series have good stories.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Personally, since I have been playing Summon Night 3 (and Summon Night 1 but holy hell, that game has not aged well. I'm also planning on playing though Summon Night 2 since SN3's gaiden chapter has you controlling the PC from SN2) and I like the story for SN3 so far, I kinda want to see people translate SN3 first for the PSP. (Just in case for people who don't know, the SN3 PC, you can choose which one, appears in SN5. Plus having SN3 system data for SN4 unlocks all the usable units for the puppet system)

Then again, I'm all for any game in main Summon Night series getting translated, since the Summon Night series have good stories.
I heard the DS versions of 1 and 2, though not having op or image gallery, is a very nice remake which polish some of the problems it had.

In other news I managed to get the script for those games, woohoo! .. well, it's a start I guess :D

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually found the inclusion of Rexx and Aty as significant to the plot rather irritating. If you're going through the trouble of ~building a new era~ with even the summoning component getting a total rehaul due to cultural change, then it's a bit counterproductive to include the most popular main characters from the previous era, presenting them as some kind of superhuman hero (which, admittedly, they are) the whole time. It really makes Folth and Arca look particularly underpowered, despite them being some of the most talented protagonists in the entire Summon Night series.

The significant role Rexx and Aty play alienates people who haven't played SN3, but SN5's system alienates people who have played SN3. It reads at pandering to fans who were already side-eying the game while leaving newcomers confused. The cast is tiny, and the game short, meaning less night conversations. If Savorle is SN3's island like dialogue implies, where are the guardians? Where is the other Saver? In comparison, references to other Summon Nights are light: the stars from SN4, the Lail clan from SN2, the Afran and Noiram families. When the fan favorite plays such a big part in such a halfhearted way in a game that's set a good deal of time, a cataclysmic war, and a paradigm shift after the previous entries? Comes across as ham-fisted fanservice. A lot like the kind you see in SN4. Not cool.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I guess I could take a look, I like the Summon Night series too, but I can see the first problem here:
- The font.
probably nothing to deal with english in there so forgot any variable-width letters. It'll look horrible if you just change the text...

I can already see the english script being larger than the jap one (thinking about it, it'd be triple the size if it was translated in Spanish shudders*) so a VWF may be necessary.

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can already see the english script being larger than the jap one (thinking about it, it'd be triple the size if it was translated in Spanish shudders*) so a VWF may be necessary.
It's not relevant to that. the variable-width font is purely esthetical. What matters in that case is the files, if the game can support them being larger or not (talking about it without any pointers issue of course.)

Reactions: Pablitox

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It's not relevant to that. the variable-width font is purely esthetical. What matters in that case is the files, if the game can support them being larger or not (talking about it without any pointers issue of course.)

Oh I see it now, thanks for correcting me :).

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The freeze only occurs right when Beast Emperor shows up. If you skip those few lines, you're safe. It doesn't always happen though. It didn't happen that last time I played, and so I'd actually completely forgotten about it. I've never encountered a freeze during SN5, so it's either the ISO or the emulator you're playing with.

SN3 system data not only unlocks all the SN3 puppets from the beginning, but it also unlocks all the summon beasts SN3 and 4 have in common as well as the four student-exclusive summons (which are only available if you have SN3 system data). Of course, since only the students can get any decent mileage out of them, they only come in useful for free battles and the infinite corridor. But SN3 surprisingly fails to include one of its illustrations in the gallery. The one with the volcano is not in the gallery and therefore can only viewed in-story. There's also an unbelievably annoying infinite corridor bug, which SN4 thankfully doesn't have.

Swordcraft Story 2 should have the official localization of 派閥 since Nina is the blue one, just like Mint, but hell if I know what it is.

The difference between 竜 and 龍 pops up in SN4. Since Silturn is some weird fantasy mash-up of Japan and China from what we see, using 'long' or 'lóng' for 龍 might work (especially since the two 龍 we see in the series of Chinese-styled names: Seilong and Mei-Mei [Xiao-Mei] and Ouleng), but it gets kiiinda awkward in some lines, like when Seilong declares he's 龍人族の次期族長 when he first shows up. There's also the case of stuff like when it's pronounced 'Elgo' (officially, according to SN3, 'Erugo,' but that's just ugly) but written 'will of the world', as well as Kentarou's... uh, I forgot the way it's pronounced, but I think it was written as some variation of 'beloved'. But just including the written version as a parenthetical should be fine.

Another issue is that a lot (all? probably all) of the endings include lines that are pure audio. You'll need to include some kind of subtitle system to translate those lines. And if you're going to do that far, you might as well subtitle battle chatter as well if you've got the time; some of the lines for support skills are legitimately hilarious. You might end up having to use something like L, Sa, Si, M, N for certain screens having to do with summons. Also certain skill names, especially for battle pop-ups, might require shortening or the box lengthening.

If you want to keep the spoiler located in the main characters' default names, it's probably best to go with 'Rye' or 'Rie,' but expect bread jokes, especially since the kid's good at cooking, if you go with the former. The 越響者 class has an official localization, on the same lines as as Linker for 誓約者, Lawler for 超律者, and Saver for 抜剣者. It's クロスレイヤー, mostly likely 'Crosslayer,' as nonsensical as that is.

Apset's usage of four kanji combinations + English will probably become idioms/sayings with the English staying in all caps? Will the Loreilal kids having their uppercases and lowercases flipped to simulate the katakana/hiragana flip? It's pure favoritism on my part that makes me say 'there's no way to localize the way Corlal speaks that keeps how cute it is in Japanese'. Probably lots of 'i believe's and colons. Also Cassus ending his sentences with katakana, I think? Follow Umineko and put the last world in all caps? But considering his backstory, it sounds more like unusual inflection or a speech impediment. He's got that halting way of speaking.

Reactions: Pablitox and GHANMI

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Swordcraft Story 2 should have the official localization of 派閥 since Nina is the blue one, just like Mint, but hell if I know what it is.

I could look for that term , I don't mind playing it again.

The difference between 竜 and 龍 pops up in SN4. Since Silturn is some weird fantasy mash-up of Japan and China from what we see, using 'long' or 'lóng' for 龍 might work (especially since the two 龍 we see in the series of Chinese-styled names: Seilong and Mei-Mei [Xiao-Mei] and Ouleng), but it gets kiiinda awkward in some lines, like when Seilong declares he's 龍人族の次期族長 when he first shows up. There's also the case of stuff like when it's pronounced 'Elgo' (officially, according to SN3, 'Erugo,' but that's just ugly) but written 'will of the world', as well as Kentarou's... uh, I forgot the way it's pronounced, but I think it was written as some variation of 'beloved'. But just including the written version as a parenthetical should be fine.

In swordcraft story 1 the protagonist of the first game called it Elgo though. And they used the term linker as you say

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In swordcraft story 1 the protagonist of the first game called it Elgo though. And they used the term linker as you say

Oh? So that's where 'Elgo' comes from. Altus is weird. They kept Linker but changed the SN2 protagonist's last name... But Linker, Lawler, and Saber can all be found in their original games, which is why we know 'Saver' is correct and not 'Saber,' though when the Japanese is 抜剣者, 'Saber' is probably the the one you expect. 'Crosslayer' only shows us in the U:X novels. Those are the official localizations though, being localizations, they're not really translations of the titles in question.

Are all summon night games linked

Short answer: Yes. Except Twin Age and X, probably. And the second Theses game, maybe. I know the first gets referenced in SN4. For main Summon Nights, the chronology is 3 -> 1 -> 2 -> 4 -> 5. Swordcraft takes place after 1, 2 after 2. No one cares about Hajimari no Ishi's place in the timeline because there's no cameo to help place it anywhere.

Long answer: Yes, but you can play basically everything except the afterstories and still reasonably enjoy yourself with no knowledge of other Summon Nights. Wouldn't recommend it. Especially not for 4 which features a lot of characters from previous Summon Nights swinging in to show you how they're doing. But basically each game has something that loses a lot of its meaning if you haven't played the previous games. 4 and 5 have it the worst. Afterstories tend to be full of spoilers so don't bother with them if you havent played the precious game or don't want to be spoiled.

Both SN1+2 have graphics that haven't aged well, but both have some pretty nice twists and large, likeable casts. The PSX lacks some basic quality of life features, while the DS lacks voices, openings, and the gallery, but updates the battle system to include brave clears and party skills. SN1 probably does 'teenager magically brought to another world' better than most other such stories. Lots of racism, classism talk. Though you'll be seeing the same enemies again and again if that's something that bothers you; if you're a certain type of player, you'll probably be thinking, 'hey, isn't it time you killed 'em after beating 'em up?' But that's Summon Night for you.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Oh? So that's where 'Elgo' comes from. Altus is weird. They kept Linker but changed the SN2 protagonist's last name... But Linker, Lawler, and Saber can all be found in their original games, which is why we know 'Saver' is correct and not 'Saber,' though when the Japanese is 抜剣者, 'Saber' is probably the the one you expect. 'Crosslayer' only shows us in the U:X novels. Those are the official localizations though, being localizations, they're not really translations of the titles in question.

Oh so they changed it? Well Colthearts sounded kind of weird, what's the original one?

About 派閥, If I am not mistaken, Nina used to say she was from the Cerulean Society, take it with a grain of salt though, I'll check it out.

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh so they changed it? Well Colthearts sounded kind of weird, what's the original one?

About 派閥, If I am not mistaken, Nina used to say she was from the Cerulean Society, take it with a grain of salt though, I'll check it out.

Boo. Bad reading comprehension. I said SN2, meaning Toris and Magna.

Let's see... Aroeri's use of 'ore' might pose a problem since she's explicitly said to be presenting herself in a masculine manner. It wouldn't matter except for certain events near the end where she switches to something more feminine. Gender markers in English speech aren't as explicit as the ones in Japanese, so it might require exaggerating Aroeri's character, which is already pretty heavy-handed. (And tsundere.)

Oh. Some of the recipes might not fit once they're translated too. Size limits on various menus will probably be the source of a lot of headaches.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Boo. Bad reading comprehension. I said SN2, meaning Toris and Magna.

Let's see... Aroeri's use of 'ore' might pose a problem since she's explicitly said to be presenting herself in a masculine manner. It wouldn't matter except for certain events near the end where she switches to something more feminine. Gender markers in English speech aren't as explicit as the ones in Japanese, so it might require exaggerating Aroeri's character, which is already pretty heavy-handed. (And tsundere.)

Oh. Some of the recipes might not fit once they're translated too. Size limits on various menus will probably be the source of a lot of headaches.

woops, sorry, I was kinda tired, lol.

zero_g_monkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just took a look at the files for something simple to do while my pc updates. The file "02.DAT" is a good place to start with looking for game text. There is some that is not encrypted/compressed (or whatever it may be) and it looks like later on, there is more that uses that method of having a few characters visible... then goes off into gibberish. Hope this may help out some with the project. Those "SV**.DAT" files look like from the header to be wav files or some kind of audio. There may be more stored in there, but I don't really know.

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, one last shitpost.

There's actually an event with Xiao-Mei that'll only happen if you don't use your SN3 system data. I've never played without the SN3 data, so I gotta ask: Do Mei-Mei's sprites look out of place in SN4? They admittedly didn't look that outdated in SN3, but SN4 overall as a cuter, more colorful aesthetic... Even Cunnon looks a bit out of place, though Marurur, being tiny and cute, fits in surprisingly well. (I recently flipped through SN5's tokuten and learned that Cunnon's ears were deliberately drawn the way they are; Radylia's ears are drawn the same way. I never noticed...)

Also, I'm curious: If this project happens, will you manually insert dialogue splits to include 'he' vs 'she' when the line is recycled for both Ray and Fair? Or will you just go with a gender-neutral pronoun like 'they'?

...Actually, depending on how the hacking turns out, it might be possible to just call extra textboxes during the endings... Mm... Though since I'm not a hacker, so I'm really just talking out of my eyes. But using pre-existing resources and routines is probably gonna be easier than tacking on a method to create subtitles... Just don't deprive the world of Enysha's cute 泣き虫の私に勇気をくれた王子さま! Though Enysha's ending does bring up awkward questions like 'where did those clothes come from?'

Also, even less relevant than everything else: Ray being pronounced 'Rai' reminds me of the whole debacle around Fay's name back when. I'm looking forward to how 凸凸コンビ'll get rendered!

Reactions: Deleted User

Kelebek

Trophies
XP
Country
Managed to get the text file decompress working. Here's the first one with the starting story text in: https://www.mediafire.com/?2b5lb1ap43eh6id

Still some problems though. There's a starting value used sometimes in some decompressing, I don't know where that comes from. Also there's no toc within the DAT files themselves as far as I can see. The toc is stored somewhere else, and I have no idea where that is. Need to find that to actually extract the DAT files properly.

No idea how that text/script file works either, looks pretty ridiculous.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0