Hacking Possible stupid question for new 3dsXL

Talfuchre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My son wants to check out the eshop on his 3DSXL - but it is demanding an update in order to get to the shop. Has anyone done this - and does the latest bootloader work with the 3dsXL after updating?

If so, we will not update - but I wanted to check before I did anything.

Thanks for helping a noob.

TF

p.s. How stupid is it that the download of the new Super Mario Bro's 2 game is the SAME price as the cart version? Sheesh...

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately the Acekard team has yet to release their update to the latest bootloader. So for now you can't access the eShop. Hopefully the team should release their update sometime this or next week though.

Chrona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nope, though the Acekard staff said that they would have an update coming out some time next week so you'll be able to soon

Talfuchre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is what I thought - I will just be patient - It isn't like I NEED those games - I want him to be able to play a LOT of games - not the few they have to buy on eshop.

TF

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
p.s. How stupid is it that the download of the new Super Mario Bro's 2 game is the SAME price as the cart version? Sheesh...

what really bugs me about that is that people who bought the cart will still be enjoying it in 30 yrs. people who bought the digital download will probably not be able to download it again in 30 yrs. as more and more systems start to turn to digital content this is a problem we are going to face, and something few seem concerned about.

-another world

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
what really bugs me about that is that people who bought the cart will still be enjoying it in 30 yrs. people who bought the digital download will probably not be able to download it again in 30 yrs. as more and more systems start to turn to digital content this is a problem we are going to face, and something few seem concerned about.

-another world
The fears are imagined.

I'll make a thread about it later, remind me.

Talfuchre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

-another world

I tend to agree with this - although - if they wisen up - get cheaper - and allow us to save all these games to a SD - I can see why they are trying to do it... they are trying to replace karts....

I don't think it will work - and we can always back up our roms - but still - the SAME priceis not going to work.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
no matter what gamers are going to want to game. if the games are only offered as digital content then they are going to make purchases. there are rumors that the ps4 will only offer digital content. what happens when someone buys a ps4 20 yrs later? they will not be able to play anything on it except for what is stored on its 20 yr old HDD. unless, of course, there are some type of backup solution, but we can't buy these systems hoping that the games will be preserved through these methods.

what if the technology gets so good that systems become extremely difficult to hack to the point that no one cares to try? games become much cheaper as there are no more physical copies, no middle men, etc, so again no one cares to hack the system because games are only $10 for a blockbuster title. this software is then all digital and if the original sources go offline the games themselves are lost. for me, the best aspect of piracy is the ability to preserve and enjoy old games. i can boot up an emulator and let a 4yr old enjoy the same games i enjoyed when was 4, only its 2012 now and not 1980. that aspect is amazing and its something we risk losing with digital content.

@[member='Rydian'], time to start a thread on this subject before all the good points get posted here. =P

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I was adding some stuff to my gdevelop project and I couldnt save it cuz there was a power outage and thus no internet
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ have you played super smash flash 2?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Not really.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, ok sorry
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh, no need to apologize. Thanks for asking.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You ever played Super Mario Crossover Flash?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its one of the best Mario games in Flash, where you can choose from a number of different Nintendo characters to play as.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i already told you i did play it
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Oh, I honestly don't remember, it was a long while ago I imagine.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, it was like a couple months ago
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Man, the new art of Callie from Splatoon's Twitter account looks so amazing and cute
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, any other nostalgic flash games you played?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sweet new south parks out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol 5GB for one episode
    Lol I can watch it free
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, from the shows website?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, from the shows website?