Possible "breakthrough" in DSiWare becoming "console-fr

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by mkoch227, Jan 2, 2011.

1. mkoch227
    OP

Newcomer mkoch227 Newbie

United States
    This is for educational purposes only. I am not promoting the downloading and/or installation of illegal products.

I was thinking about how when one downloads DSiWare, the file contains the key for the system. This way, it can't be transferred to other systems for *cough* free. If we were able to figure out EXACTLY where this key is written, we could copy "our" key, then place it on the app/game that we want to put on our DSi system.

In order to figure this out, I need two copies of the SAME app from DIFFERENT systems (it's too hard to try to find a similarity between two different apps). I have one copy of Flipnote Studio saved as of now. What I am requesting is for someone to download Flipnote Studio and then either a) upload it to a file sharing service OR b) e-mail it to me at mike[at]mkochcs[dot]co[dot]cc.

This way when I compare HEX values, they should be similar except for a little bit, which should (theoretically) be the key.

2. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    anyone find this familiar? [​IMG]

3. mkoch227
    OP

Newcomer mkoch227 Newbie

United States
    If this was "attempted" before, I was never aware of it. Tried searching forums, but found nothing about it.

4. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I remember a guy having people downloading an app that tried to find keys, not sure about this (though I'm sure someone's tried it before).

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    It's not that the key is stored, it's that the entire download is encrypted with it.

This makes it like 5,000 times harder than simply opening it in a hex editor to look for a key.

6. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Yeah, that's the problem.

BTW, nice "Red" avatar Rydian! Did you draw that? Red is one creepy-ass motherfucker.

7. mkoch227
    OP

Newcomer mkoch227 Newbie

United States
    Well alrighty then...I'll see if I can figure out any other possible ways to get around this encryption

Moderators/Administrators, feel free to delete/lock this topic as deemed necessary.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The problem/strength (depending on if you're the one encrypting or the one trying to break it) is there's no easy way, in fact the most common way is actually social engineering (not even computer hacking). Other than that there's brute-forcing, but with any semi-decent encryption nowadays you'd need 1,000 computers and it'd still take years.

You need a LOT of math to break it. And I mean like people get 6-year degrees to learn how to break encryption.