Hacking Possiable ways to softmod the Wii

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hellfenix said:
Well we can already read from DVD-R's using waninkoko's cIOS no?

I don't know if it's been asked/answered before but is it possible to boot a game from another channel than the disk channel?
Is that what GeckOS does?

If Gecko OS called a specific IOS before launching a game, it might be possible.

Too bad there's no source available.....

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You know, I've done an entire search on the Erant guy, but can't seem to find him... I'm not saying he doesn't exist, I just can't seem to find him...

Can someone get ahold of him, and have him post his findings about the whole Starlet not letting drive command thru... like an actual tech finding, not just "It don't work".

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
zidane_genome said:
You know, I've done an entire search on the Erant guy, but can't seem to find him... I'm not saying he doesn't exist, I just can't seem to find him...

You mean you haven't heard "Erant's DVDTool" before? Why are you even thinking about Wii softmods...

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:

Can someone get ahold of him, and have him post his findings about the whole Starlet not letting drive command thru... like an actual tech finding, not just "It don't work".

He's on Wiidev and Wiibrew.

Apparently those instructions get NOPed, but I don't know about the other ones....

zidane_genome

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
arctic_flame said:
zidane_genome said:

You mean you haven't heard "Erant's DVDTool" before? Why are you even thinking about Wii softmods...

I've heard of the WiiDVDTool... never heard it called Erants before... and all that tool does is allow you to read your Wii DVD drive as a PC drive (when connected properly)

I'm not trying to connect my Wii DVD drive to my PC... I'm trying to find a way around having to do that, and around all physical modification... that's why it's called... wait for it.... waaaaaaait..... SOFTMOD!

EDIT:

After a quick google search for Erants DVD Tool thingy, I come up with this...

Erant's Serial DVD Tool Update for Wii

Erant has released a new build of his serial DVD drive tool for Wii. Currently it will 'regionfree' the Wii as well as boot any media of your choice!

Official readme file

With my project currently being not-so devved on, I've decided to release my most recent work. In it's current state, it will regionfree the Wii, and boot any media of your choice. You might recognize some of the methods from OpenWii (or will, when they finally release the source), that's because I've given them the methods for all-media-booting and regionfree. I'm not releasing this for warez or any kind of illegal practices. I'm mainly releasing this for the potential in the way I've implemented regionfree. Used like this, it can be used to patch any sector to anything you like, making (very slow) streaming from the PC to the Wii DVD drive possible. The source is a complete mess, but I don't see me working on it in the near future, so I'll release it for now, in the hope that someone will fix it up again. I've never merged my sources with groepaz' (thanks!), so maybe someone can do that for me.

(Usage:
./dvdtool -w 0x40C068 dms.bin
./dvdtool -i code.bin

Currently hardwired for a PAL DMS/D2A console, but like I said, this isn't the point, so kindly not use it as such. ta!

So, there IS a softmod out there... and it was done flashing the DVD drive... only he flashed it while it was outside the Wii... we're trying to flash it while it's IN the Wii...

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
So, there IS a softmod out there... and it was done flashing the DVD drive... only he flashed it while it was outside the Wii... we're trying to flash it while it's IN the Wii...

The difference is that he has physical access to the drive.

It doesn't matter where the code originates from, the fact of the matter is, direct access to the drive is what you don't have if you're trying to access it via Starlet.

The only other alternative I can think of is initializing a disc that can access the drive directly without intervention from Starlet... but I don't know how that would work....

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe I'm on to something. This was found in the source of Open Wii:

CODE// 10:37 Anyway, anything above 0xD00000 isn't accessable directly from the
//ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂproc, so what you do is write to 0x40006C
//ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂand it'll mirror that address in 0x430000

Whether or not this will work with Starlet, too, I'm not certain, but my train of thought is as follows:

+Use FFCC's "main_en_us.nut" and replace it with OpenWii code.
+Execute the game via channel.
+Hopefully, it'll patch the drive.
+Exit to Wii Menu.
+Run backup game from Disc Channel or GeckoOS.

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind opening up my wii. I just don't want to have to deal with solder, and buying a mod chip.

Kekkon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
I believe I'm on to something. This was found in the source of Open Wii:

CODE// 10:37 Anyway, anything above 0xD00000 isn't accessable directly from the
//ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂproc, so what you do is write to 0x40006C
//ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂand it'll mirror that address in 0x430000

Whether or not this will work with Starlet, too, I'm not certain, but my train of thought is as follows:

+Use FFCC's "main_en_us.nut" and replace it with OpenWii code.
+Execute the game via channel.
+Hopefully, it'll patch the drive.
+Exit to Wii Menu.
+Run backup game from Disc Channel or GeckoOS.

*gives high-five*
See, this is the kind of thinking we need!
I doubt it'll work (sounds too simple) but worth a try right?

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
if anyone makes an iso loader im willing to test as i already have a load of burned games(no modchip) sorry if that seems a bit "omg thats all you will do" id help in any other way i can aswell

zidane_genome

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, teq, are you able to incorperate that some how? I'm still learning the basic Wii system (for C programming)...

Is there any custom ios source code out there?

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
Well, teq, are you able to incorperate that some how? I'm still learning the basic Wii system (for C programming)...

Is there any custom ios source code out there?

There's a lot I'm missing that I don't have access to. If it were that easy, it would've been done already...

And no, there is no IOS source available, other than incorporating custom code into PatchMii.

Christen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Darn, so many great ideas, but no one with the means to implement them.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ