Aperture Science DS
(made by smealum and lobo)​

Screenshots :

scr3.png
scr1.png
scr2.png
levedit.png
Videos :

ok so basically I've been working on this portal adaptation for a few months now. it's coming along quite well I think so I decided it was time to give it its own thread. the game is being programmed by me and the graphics are being made by Lobo.​
the idea is for us to make an original campaign featuring none other than doug rattman as a protagonist. the game will also feature a full-fledged on-board level editor similar to the one found in portal 2's perpetual testing initiative, so my hope is people will make their own puzzles and give the game some replayability.​
features so far :
- working portals (you can place them, look through them, go through them)​
- okay player physics (for instance, momentum is conserved when going through a portal, flinging works great)​
- a full fledged rigid body physics engine for turrets, cubes and stuff (watch the video, I think it's pretty cool for a DS game)​
- mini gravity gun !​
- an on-board and intuitive level editor​
- more or less working puzzle elements (including buttons, dispensers, turrets, energy ball things, doors, emancipation grids...)​
- an entirely new gameplay mechanic ! (not fully implemented yet but I think it's going to be pretty neat)​
the game is still heavily work in progress so no downloads yet ! I'm also not sure when it'll be released. if you've got any ideas for the game's name, let me know. right now one idea I like is Aperture Science DS (shortened to ASDS), but nothing's final at this point. also, if you have ideas for the story, or would like to make levels for the game, let me know here.​

UPDATE (08/08/13) : currently working on a demo I hope to have ready by august 20th. It'll probably be buggy and incomplete but it will include fully playable levels and the level editor. Post in this thread if you want to make maps for the initial release !

my todo list for now :
- add sludge - done
- make turrets shoot you - done
- add level exits - done
- make a nice menu - done (mostly)
- make a subscreen interface - done
- add customizable controls - done
- shitloads of bugfixes

UPDATE : game is now available, see above and read the readme

WoJjTeK

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I pissed.... It looks awesome ! I'd love to be able to play levels from original Portal too, but I don't know if it would be able to handle it :( Are you planning to include some of the features from Portal 2 such as various gels ? Definitely looking forward to being able to play it !

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Congratulations, it looks really good.
I like playing FPS on the DS ( with the stylus ), I always felt it was the most underrated control scheme last gen.

I hope you guys keep up the good work.It loos really promising.

Suikoden77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Man this is the best homebrew i've seen so far away from the others. This game has better appearance than many of the commercial games of this genre, and looks to work very neat. I love the way you prove that the NDS is still not dead. Keep rocking Smealum :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm always amazed at the homebrew quality you can produce !

I wish I knew as much as you do.
I never made anything better than splash screen, animated sprites, and sprite moving with the stylus *go hide somewhere*

Keep working on it, it looks great.
And nice to see you decided to make its own thread.

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Oh my god this is way too awesome. Seriously I entered with no expectations whatsoever but this... this is a masterpiece. Imagine how might homebrew look in the 3DS...

Marik

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That really looks great , better than some actual retail games !
And I also love portal
Keep up with your work ;)

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i have an older build, probably from a month or so ago, and it plays great. the mechanics of the portal work really well. the elements feel like a portal game but a homebrew at the same time. the art has a classic pixel feel to it while running in a 3d environment.

what the game really needs is challenging, well thought out, levels with creative puzzles. my biggest issue with portal 2 was how easy it was. i blew through the game in under 6 hours and that was because i spent a lot of time playing around. the offer has been made for the community to build levels. if you got what it takes step up and get involved. a game like this is only as good as its challenges.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [He will] only make $1.5 million per night after taxes. Poor guy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My stupid computer chair keeps slowly going down, but I don't notice it goes down, until I'm like reaching up to my desk. I just bought this f er last year.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Does Bruno Mars is gay?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    K3nv2 would know...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only for Bakers
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I heard he has a Wario fetish, but only if no Wizards are around.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    jk with you Bakerman, much love. fist bump.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He really knows how to kneed the dough
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Man. I can't wait til CTGP 8 comes out on Switch, been waiting forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Boners Makes me wanna play Duck Hunt NES
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pooping nice
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is a "Poop de Boop"? I've heard it mentioned several times now but have no idea and can't find anything online bout it. Is it a British term for restroom/bathroom or something?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It is a perfume
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why do we have virgin islands if it's populated
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They should change the name to K3Nv2's Mom islands. (Or before he responds, My Wifeys Islands)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah me saying that's more predictable than you talking about my mom
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hence urewifes so predictable she'd buy every man on the virgin islands
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or they buy her
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    true dat, on that note I'ma try go get some myself, peace!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guess she doesn't need to be bought she has your money
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/-GDjDECLDG0?si=MNEjk8rkmioj1xE2