Aperture Science DS
DOWNLOAD : http://smealum.net/ASDS/ASDS_r1.zip
website : http://smealum.net/ASDS/
source code : https://github.com/smealum/portalDS
ok so basically I've been working on this portal adaptation for a few months now. it's coming along quite well I think so I decided it was time to give it its own thread. the game is being programmed by me and the graphics are being made by Lobo.
the idea is for us to make an original campaign featuring none other than doug rattman as a protagonist. the game will also feature a full-fledged on-board level editor similar to the one found in portal 2's perpetual testing initiative, so my hope is people will make their own puzzles and give the game some replayability.
features so far :
- working portals (you can place them, look through them, go through them)
- okay player physics (for instance, momentum is conserved when going through a portal, flinging works great)
- a full fledged rigid body physics engine for turrets, cubes and stuff (watch the video, I think it's pretty cool for a DS game)
- mini gravity gun !
- an on-board and intuitive level editor
- more or less working puzzle elements (including buttons, dispensers, turrets, energy ball things, doors, emancipation grids...)
- an entirely new gameplay mechanic ! (not fully implemented yet but I think it's going to be pretty neat)
the game is still heavily work in progress so no downloads yet ! I'm also not sure when it'll be released. if you've got any ideas for the game's name, let me know. right now one idea I like is Aperture Science DS (shortened to ASDS), but nothing's final at this point. also, if you have ideas for the story, or would like to make levels for the game, let me know here.
UPDATE (08/08/13) : currently working on a demo I hope to have ready by august 20th. It'll probably be buggy and incomplete but it will include fully playable levels and the level editor. Post in this thread if you want to make maps for the initial release !
my todo list for now :
- add sludge - done
- make turrets shoot you - done
- add level exits - done
- make a nice menu - done (mostly)
- make a subscreen interface - done
- add customizable controls - done
- shitloads of bugfixes
UPDATE : game is now available, see above and read the readme