Hacking *poll* wbfs, wbfs with fat32 partition, fat32, or ntfs.

what filesystem does your wii hdd use?

• WBFS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mostly WBFS with Fat32 partition

• FAT32

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • NTFS

• Total voters

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
ive got a 320 WD, entirely set to FAT32.

i used to have it split to mostly WBFS, w/15gigs FAT for triiforce, and 40gigs NTFS for misc.

eventually/inevitably i ran out of room on the wbfs, and started having to put games on the NTFS, but that got super annoying having two separate archives for wii games, so i switched it up to just one FAT partition for everything.
i seems like my stuff takes up less room now than it did w/separate partitions =)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
30Gb FAT32 + 200Gb WBFS (seagate freeagent 250)
I would like a new one now, it's full
tongue.gif

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Seagate Portable 250GB FAT32, just 1 partition.

Used to watch AVCHD movies @ PS3 too.

terminal_illness

Dark Hadou Master
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
because i dont have to convert to .wbfs. the manager automatically scrubs them. its completly noob proof(once partitioned properly and if your using wbfs manager 1.2 for mac like me.) theres no filesize limit. and i have a partition for homebrew. also much less time to transfer games.

better question is how is fat32 better than my configuration?

Ninn

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
2TB Iomega , 500GB Fat32 for wii games...and the rest (1.5TB NTFS) for all the other stuff.

works great, havent had any problems so far.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
before I get started, I just wanna say that I'm not trying to start an arguement, just a healthy debate
biggrin.gif

#1, u ALWAYS need to use a program to manage games on a wbfs partition... with FAT32, u only need to do so ONCE to convert them to *.wbfs files, then u can straight copy the files to another drive without needing to use a program (and it will work on any OS).

#2, wbfs file on FAT32 are also scrubbed... and while the handful of games larger than 4GBs need to be split into parts, it can still store ANY Wii game of ANY size (no limit!). However, a WBFS partition can only store wii games. And WiiBackupManager makes this process easy as hell regardless of what format the hard drive is.

#3, With FAT32, I don't need to worry about repartitioning my drive to allocate more space to a WBFS partition to store more games. All homebrew and apps are on the same partition, so its not even an issue

#4, When inserting a HDD with a WBFS partition on it into a windows machine, u always get that annoying pop-up asking if u want to format the drive now... and a lot of ppl have accidentally/stupidly said yes

#5, in case of dataloss, its easier to recover files off of a FAT32 partition over a WBFS partition

Honestly... there is nothing u can say to convince me that 100% FAT32 is not the best set-up. There is only ONE good arguement (in my opinion) against FAT32... and that is that it cannot store files larger than 4GBs (this does not affect Wii games, since they can be split). However, unless the hard drive is intended to be used to store Hi-Def videos... there are no wii files that are that large. And even still, that is an arguement for 50/50 FAT32/NTFS not for WBFS.

edit: not to mention the 500 game limit on WBFS partitions (not that that'll be a problem for me or anyone else who isn't a pirate)

terminal_illness

Dark Hadou Master
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
touché
wink.gif
however i was talking about my setup, not wbfs vs fat32.

im using a mac tho so for me its the best setup. there is no program to make .wbfs files for me, or splitt them into two parts.

also its one progress bar to add a wii game instead of two, and its faster.

also i can also store any files on it because i have a fat32 partition...

and i dont need dataloss recovery because i have a 2 tb drive in my computer that i keep the full unscrubbed iso's on

guinness

Trophies
XP
Country
1TB. Used to be 50/50 FAT32/WBFS, now 100% FAT32, except for a 10GB NTFS partition which I use to extract ISOs to before converting to .wbfs.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
terminal_illness said:
touché
wink.gif

I know, but u use 75/25 WBFS/FAT32, so the only difference between our setups is the WBFS partition, so thats what I focused on

im using a mac tho so for me its the best setup. there is no program to make .wbfs files for me, or splitt them into two parts.

I think WiiJ Manager Works on all platforms... not 100% sure on that... but anyways, presumably you're not a pirate... so any backups u would make to a FAT32 partition using your Wii would already be in wbfs format and not need to be converted... then u can just straight copy and paste them

what r u talking about progress bars for? What does that have to do with anything? And it is NOT faster, they both play/transfer at the same speeds (which has more to do with the HDD itself than the format)

yea, but what if u ever need more space on one partition??? It will be impossible to resize it without backing up your shit on another drive first

and i dont need dataloss recovery because i have a 2 tb drive in my computer that i keep the full unscrubbed iso's on
but not everyone has that luxury... besides, u could have the games on FAT32 and still keep unscrubbed backups on another drive... so this is a moot point if u ask me

terminal_illness

Dark Hadou Master
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
XFlak said:
terminal_illness said:
touché
wink.gif

I know, but u use 75/25 WBFS/FAT32, so the only difference between our setups is the WBFS partition, so thats what I focused on

I think WiiJ Manager Works on all platforms... not 100% sure on that... but anyways, presumably you're not a pirate... so any backups u would make to a FAT32 partition using your Wii would already be in wbfs format and not need to be converted... then u can just straight copy and paste them

what r u talking about progress bars for? What does that have to do with anything? And it is NOT faster, they both play/transfer at the same speeds (which has more to do with the HDD itself than the format)

yea, but what if u ever need more space on one partition??? It will be impossible to resize it without backing up your shit on another drive first

but not everyone has that luxury... besides, u could have the games on FAT32 and still keep unscrubbed backups on another drive... so this is a moot point if u ask me

ok lol
biggrin.gif
you win.. im still not changing tho lol! thx for the peaceful debate xflak, i always like your posts..

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
350GB for WBFS and 150GB for NTFS, never liked FAT32 and its stupid restriction in file size, when I first bought the HDD the only possible was WBFS now that is almost full I'm not gonna delte everything, reformat and then reinstall the games, if some trouble that deletes my games happens I'll just get rid of everything and sell my Wii...!!
smile.gif

tommy1981

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone had any problem with adding Super Smash Brothers Brawl (6.9gb) to a NTFS formated drive.I use 2tb 100% NTFS for wii games and another 100% fat32 drive never really use the fat32 much though. And i still use a 2gb SD card to load my drives with through homebrew. Never installed many channels.

tommy1981

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with wii backup manager newest one. going from wbfs to ntsc. I'm thinking i should of formated my hhd to fat32. I didnt even know about game splitting to make it fit on a fat32. This was the only reason i went with ntfs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +1