[Poll/Question] Decisions in Games

Decisions in Games

• Do a search to see what the average person did, and choose based on popular vote

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jonthedit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Game System: All Platforms
When you are playing a game and encounter a decision, what do you do?
Example:
In BioShock Infinite... (Be warned, spoilers)
You have the choice to either kill or spare a man named slate. If you thoroughly visit the level, you will find blood on wall which say "We deserve a soldier's death," and find recordings of him speaking of wanting to die before the main villain gets to him.

Notice : This will be used for research in behavior towards games. By voting you agree to allow your vote to be used as research.

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I take a little time thinking about, usually less than a minute. Then I'll research what could have happened.

The exception being games like Animal Crossing. I'll just look up a face or hair guide so I get what I want

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just do it. If something bad happens, then I'll do it again with the knowledge of what not to do. It took me a long time to finish the first S.H.I.E.L.D level in the 2005 Fantastic Four game in the allotted time, but I did it. The same went for the third space level and the first museum level.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I hate decisions.......I just worry too much about consequences, if there are any.
Like in Deus X I constantly had to decide what to upgrade and what not, how to talk to people and which path to take.
It was all wonderful and exciting but so darn time consuming ( if you are the type that thinks before making decisions ) !

At the end of the day, I'm relieved to play "linear"games, as they get straight to the point and I kind of get more instant gratification out of it.

By the way, I voted " Think about it, decide, then do a search to see what would've been different ", because that's what I do to make sure I didn't screw up the ending of the game ( where it applies ).

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
'Quickly choose without much thought' is my vote, though to be honest, there should have been a "pick random, don't care much for results" option. THAT would have been my vote.

I'm not much into roleplaying elements (let alone actual roleplaying GAMES), so I have the tendency to just practice my 'A'-mashing abilities when someone keeps blabbering on about something. I would've been some hero if I was the same person in real life as I was in video games.

NPC: oh, glorious traveller, I hereby bid you welcome in this noble...
me: yeah, yeah...speed things up, okay. You want something from me?
NPC: erm...well...there is this hugely dangerous issue I'm tackling with that...
me: blah, blah, blah...where is it?
NPC: what?
me: *sigh* YES I'LL DO IT. NOW FUCKING TELL ME WHERE, MHKAY?
NPC: thank you, o glorious....
me: *leaves in mid-conversation*

or

narrator: do you wish to salvage this village and come to their aid, or rather reign hell and fire upon them and establish a notorious reputation of dark evilness?
me: yes
narrator: ...erm...and which one would that be?
me: I'll just do what I feel like. If I don't accidentally complete either of them at random, I'll just check my quest log if I get bored

or

narrator: you have now reached the end of the game. You have the medium-good level. Do your best and you'll be rewarded with...
me: *while installing another game* just...gimme the freakin' ending credits, okay?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It depends which game I'm playing.
Some games which decisions are important to unlock the "best ending" for example, I check first because I don't have time to restart the same game few times to see all different endings.

Other games where it only affects the story flow/characters stats, I think then choose then check what would have happened if I chose differently.
I'm more "choosing what I think is best answer" for these games (for example Mass Effect).

Sometime, I save before choosing, or even reload a previous save if It's too late and I can't save.
I keep a lot of saves (when possible) after each important decisions, just in case I want to go back and try another scenario and play/see the different stories.
I don't do it in order to "choose the best", but only to see all possible outcomes. I feel like I completed the game in a single play, and I don't need to replay it from the beginning to see other possibilities.
(For example Xenoblade, I watched all possible private actions : 7 x 63)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the choice. Some actually require thought, and others are just shallow, black-or-white "Save the orphans or Murder them and make towels from their flesh" type situations.

I choose the towels, by the way. A man's gotta dry off somehow!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Upgrading ye olde PC lol