Hacking [Poll] GW versus Pasta, what are you using now? Vote!

Gateway or Pasta, what are you using? Vote!

• GW, i like my .3ds, the ease of use and don't plan to switch

Votes: 113 44.3%
  • Pasta, I don't mind installing .cia and it's 100% free

Votes: 54 21.2%
  • GW currently but if they don't add new features soon I might change my mind..

Votes: 32 12.5%
  • Pasta currently for testing but in the end GW is the way to go..

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Both! the best of both worlds!

Votes: 48 18.8%

• Total voters

bannana2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For real? Are you serious? Between the two you need Gateway to even install a cia manager of any kind in the first place. If you want cfw, first, you will need to suffer through booting into the original unstable version to install FBI or Dev menu. Its ridiculous that we can't just have one CFW where you can do everything gateway can do without a cartridge. It must pain these developers to spend some time developing it properly.

Randomixx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Definitely sticking with Gateway, I prefer using the easily swapped-out .3ds files over waiting around for cias to install, even without accounting for the fact that my main reason for having Gateway in the first place is ROM hacking - not currently (maybe ever) possible with CFW.

While I would like to use Pasta alongside it (specifically for eshop spoofing to get update tickets for use in Classic Mode with my legit games), my only exploitable console is a n3DS and I cannot find my region's Cubic Ninja for a price that doesn't come to something ridiculous (around $120+ after shipping). Honestly, I prefer my chances of waiting for 9.6+ emuNAND to be cracked, as opposed to waiting for both n3DS-compatible Pasta MSET AND a way to obtain n3DS FAT16 xorpads without Ninjhax.

Last edited by Randomixx,

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer CIA's because I don't want to get banned from online; I use both Gateway and Pasta.

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Gateway drains the battery unnecessarily. It's only used as a DRM dongle if you just want emuNAND and CIA. If Pasta CFW (or any other CFW) gets emuNAND support it's all over for Gateway.

Consider this. Gateway added bricking code in their launcher if it's used with a clone of their flashcart. BRICKING code! It bricks your 3DS if you have a clone (where you may not even know it's a clone) and you use their launcher. What the hell!

Gateway can suck it.

Sky3DS isn't any better with their proprietary template file, and let's not forget their initial douchey 10-game limit. I bought one only for Cubic Ninja. CFW is the way to go for the 3DS.

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gateway drains the battery unnecessarily. It's only used as a DRM dongle if you just want emuNAND and CIA. If Pasta CFW (or any other CFW) gets emuNAND support it's all over for Gateway.

Consider this. Gateway added bricking code in their launcher if it's used with a clone of their flashcart. BRICKING code! It bricks your 3DS if you have a clone (where you may not even know it's a clone) and you use their launcher. What the hell!

Gateway can suck it.

Sky3DS isn't any better with their proprietary template file, and let's not forget their initial douchey 10-game limit. I bought one only for Cubic Ninja. CFW is the way to go for the 3DS.

once we get more advanced CFW's I would agree but for now despite everything gateway is still the better AND safer option

Paradox me

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway. I'm pretty sure it's my only option as far as Emunand + region free + retail cartridges go. What I wouldn't give for all of that without needing the actual Gateway card to boot Classic Mode.

Toni456

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Pasta is pretty good but gateway still has the upper hand, unless we get emunand 9.4+ support on cfw i don't think i'll be switching but if that does happen i can see how much potential this CFW would have.

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Screen captures?

Yes screen capture, what I did was installed cubic ninja four times (with edited unique ID with out of region roms and custom banners so I can boot ninjahax on one, NTR on the second and decrypt9 on the third and GW launcher on the fourth) I use the NTR copy once in pasta to boot into pasta NTR where screen shot can be added as a hot key.

You will have to convert the save from the cia or .sav from GW to raw data using SDF then imported it back to the cia or SKY3ds cart in NTR to not lose any progress

Reactions: DarkFlare69

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Here's my take... I have a Gateway already. I only just got Cubic Ninja to boot into emuNAND before installing the NVRAM. Since both Gateway and Pasta require you to have the card inserted to access their respective features, I don't see a reason for me to use Pasta at the moment (unless I guess I wanted to play GBA games).

But yeah, if it ever becomes possible to use the Pasta firmware without having to insert Cubic Ninja every time, that may be enough to encourage me to ditch the Gateway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @a_username_that_is_cool, happy birthdayn't