ROM Hack Pokesav.nds

Jran Sakarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have seen homebrew ports for the NDs and some stuff before and I got thinking and I want to know.
Is it possible to make a custom Pokesav port for the NDS?
I mean it would make checking IV's a heck of a lot easiers and for those cheaters it would make it easyier then using a AR.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure.

I was even working on one myself a while back, but trying to make sense of the box algorithms was too time-consuming so I dropped it.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You know, if you do make this, you'll probily be an idol to all the pokemaniacs with a flashcard. There is plenty of documentation online on the save file format, the only hard part really would be the GUI.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
You know, if you do make this, you'll probily be an idol to all the pokemaniacs with a flashcard. There is plenty of documentation online on the save file format, the only hard part really would be the GUI.
If it was easy, it would be done by now.

Language is also a huge barrier. While Google Translate works for some parts, others produce almost indecipherable translations that really leave more questions than they answer.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Narin said:

Language is also a huge barrier. While Google Translate works for some parts, others produce almost indecipherable translations that really leave more questions than they answer.
True, though I have seen some wikis that have an english guide on the pokemon save format, I'll see if I can find them.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
Urza said:
Narin said:

True, though I have seen some wikis that have an english guide on the pokemon save format, I'll see if I can find them.
I've seen English documentation on the GBA save format, but many parts of it are quite different from the algorithm used by D/P.

TSPhoenix

Trophies
XP
Country
Are there any links to go with this? I'd be most appreciative if there was a spec for the Pokemon RBY save format as I've been documenting it little bits at a time, largely fruitlessly.

EDIT: To be more clear this post is more or less an informal request for links to any spec docs on the subject matter.
pokeguide.filb.de
http://www.filbboard.de/showthread.php?t=38975
That about all I know about, someone said Filb published the spec for the GBA formats but I can't seem to find it
Likewise I have a program called bluesave.exe but the source on that is long forgotten
If anyone can help me with some documentation that'd be great

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GUI wouldn't be too hard to do, in fact, the thing in general doesn't seem too bad, as long as there's source-code for PokeSAV so that it can be translated for NDS.

(After further thought, I believe what you mean for the most part, is the fact that it's not as easily traversed as in Windows, so it'll need to be changed to be done easily in NDS :/)

I'll try not to oversimplify it though, because there is stuff to do, it's just heh. GUIs are never really that hard to be honest though, it would just have to be a stand-alone NDS. You'd also probably get rid of a lot of features that PokeSAV has, like AR output and single pokemon save files (Or so would be nice)

The negative in my opinion is that if you don't have a multi-save reading/writing flashcart, you won't be able to fix it up without getting rid of your first one (Unless it auto-backs-up),

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
The GUI wouldn't be too hard to do, in fact, the thing in general doesn't seem too bad, as long as there's source-code for PokeSAV so that it can be translated for NDS
If the source code was available, creating an NDS version would be a no-brainer (and frankly, something to replace Pokesav on the PC).

Unfortunately, it is not.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose I'll never understand why people make freeware like that and don't release the source.

I'm guessing the original version was Japanese so it would take someone messaging them in Japanese to request source code if they're willing, aye?

Too bad my Japanese is crap, I'd consider bothering.

I heard someone earlier mention a Japanese Wiki, anyone got the link to it?

I'll post on the English guide though asking around, doubt I'll get anything, but at least an explanation as to why not would be nice.

There are 2 other ways to get it, but they've been mentioned in other threads here, and would be so friggin' time consuming that they probably wouldn't be worth it.

TSPhoenix

Trophies
XP
Country
Sometimes I can understand. In the case of "Pokemon Reader" it was because they explicity wanted to avoid it being turned into an editor and wanted it to remain a reader. Or so I gather. Plus it helps keep it exclusive in terms of adding a good reason for people to visit their site. However a lot of the time it baffles me too.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to the original creator's website ( http://pokesav.umimi.com/ ) it seems that she/he got THEIR information from @wiki. This leads me to believe that almost all of the information is from there.

The other option of course is to keep changing the values and then checking the .SAV output.

A great translation of http://www19.atwiki.jp/pokemon_nds/pages/54.html would probably help out the most. :S

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
The other option of course is to keep changing the values and then checking the .SAV output.
That will help very little with the box algorithms -which was the only part I couldn't figure out.

I sent COM a handful of human-translated emails months ago, with no response. I'm assuming he has no desire to release the source code.

Maybe I'll just release a version without box functionality.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, and there's no info anywhere on box algorithms? If you're that close to being done, that really does suck that that's the only thing missing ._.;

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
Hmm, and there's no info anywhere on box algorithms? If you're that close to being done, that really does suck that that's the only thing missing ._.;
The Japanese wiki likely has the information I need, but nobody was willing to translate the whole thing (and the parts he tried were quite difficult to decipher, alot of technical and Pokemon-related terms he wasn't familiar with).

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Pyrofyr said:
The Japanese wiki likely has the information I need, but nobody was willing to translate the whole thing (and the parts he tried were quite difficult to decipher, alot of technical and Pokemon-related terms he wasn't familiar with).

Hmm, could make a request topic here seeing is people who can fluently speak japanese can help out. I find people can be rather helpful when it comes to translating things. Never really had a problem with finding people to translate things for me when it comes to the cheat database.

At any rate, mind posting a link to the Japanese wiki? I'll take a look and see what I can decipher.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on the Japanese Wiki and it seems that for the most part the parts that would be necessary are under Admin-Only view. @_@;

Been searching other ways to get the info (Why reinvent the wheel, meh)

It seems that his info came from PokeAnalyze, so I've been going through that, but it suffers from the similar problem, not to mention unless you go through google you just get SQL errors.

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&am...3Den%26hs%3D3na

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&am...3Den%26hs%3D3na

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...3Den%26hs%3D3na

Been searching, I'll be looking through these, and if I find something close enough (I had found one through the second link, but it suffers from the same admin-only problem and if I go in a different way it says it doesn't exist.

The guy who did most of this stuff and made PokeAnalyze has an email on the site "pokeanalyze@gmail.(Something, I think com, might be co.jp)" and he might be more open to this.

I'm sure you've probably tried most of this though, so I'm pretty much probably not helping :S I'll bother looking just in case though. xP

A lot of text seems to relate to "pokemon in the box" as well, which I suppose is important.

Yea, box info is right there, with basic info, value, and flags. The real problem is having a good translator eh? You could probably ask around for a translation, I barely know Japanese, only what I learned from Anime and around a month or so of actual learning.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@