Homebrew PokEngine DS WIP

Dr.Razor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hi,
I've working for a couple week on a pokemon engine for DS. I'm planning to make everything open source, with a map editor and a script editor.
I've created a little exemple( with kymotonian graphics:http://kymotonian.deviantart.com/ ). It's like a R/S/E remake :)

Features:
  • 16x16 Tile engine / colisions
  • Scripts ( npc, warp)
  • map Layer / sprit priority
  • map data on extern file
To be done:
  • 5th gen pokemon data
  • Pokedex
  • Battle systeme ( port of Shoddy Battle)
How to play:

-Press A to talk to a npc and B to close the dialog box =)

The game works on emulators but not on my ez-flash Vi , can you tell me if it works on your flashcard ? Thanks

Screenshots:
Create_Sprite_42_24779.png
Create_Sprite_28_24733.png
Create_Sprite_59_24638.png

Download link:

http://bayfiles.com/...pokengineDS.rar

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This looks quite promising, actually. Are you using any established graphics library or is this all libnds? Also, what kind of graphics file format are you using? GRIT tiled formats? How's the sound handled, via MODule music?

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That looks really interesting and could turn out to be a very great thing. Really looking forward to what you'll achieve. :)

Dr.Razor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I'm using Palib with EFS for filesystem but i'm thinking to rewrite with pure libnd as palib is dead :-(
I haven't think about the music yet , wht do you suggest to use?

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd suggest Importing the soundtracks from all the modern pokemon games:

- Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
- Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen
- Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
- Pokemon SoulSilver/HeartGold
- Pokemon Black/White

As well as, any soundtracks from any other games or something completely custom.

Edit: Other than that, it looks promising.

Dr.Razor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Tested on r4 with last wood firmware, it works! I guess the fat system on ez-flash doesn't work.
Thanks for music ripping tips, but I was thinking what kind of lib should I use to be more efficient?

corenting

Trophies
Website
www.corenting.fr
XP
Country
France
It looks promising but I hope you will switch to pure libnds or others libraries as PAlib is dead.
It wil be great for people wanting to do their Pokemon games without having to do some rom hacking.

For the "only working in emulator" bug, I had the same. And it was because PAlib wasn't compatible with latest devkitARM/libnds.

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
By the way... I've edited my previous post, as I think having both modern and chip tune versions would be too much work to include.

I would suggest, if it's possible to include every single pokemon, gym leader and trainer type from all generations into the game. Not to mention every single move and their different versions or variations as well.

That's if you're willing to cover all regions from the series. But, isn't this just a custom creator/editor though?

LeRodeur

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm using Palib with EFS for filesystem but i'm thinking to rewrite with pure libnd as palib is dead :-(
I haven't think about the music yet , wht do you suggest to use?
You could use NFlib (though i don't really like it) or Ulibrary (great library, uses 3d engine to display 2d).
If you want to use Ulibrary you can download a modified and fixed version that I made on my svn here
If you need some help with it just ask me.
I made a small engine for the ulibrary that works the same way as palib did, just ask in case you want to take a look or use it.

You could easily switch to nitroFS, it uses standard I/O functions and is included with latest devkitpro (plus you can easily port code that uses nitroFS to libfat, anyway libfat is included with it)

Good luck on this project ;)

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
oh, you've got your work cut out for you, if you get this to the point of a pokemon game maker, you'll have so many demands to look after, like ev system, iv system, breeding etc etc xD

but for the moment, i'd be happy just to get a few custom pokemon games

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just tested it today and looks alright. I would add walking animation's though and make the pokeball do something.

I doubt, there is a gui so I didn't try start or select.

Dr.Razor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Good news, a basic battle system is working( by basic I mean a dommage is calculated with a factor for the attack times the factor of type ( water against fire has a 2 factor). I won't insert evs and complex stats for the moment because there're things more important to do. I planned to release a kind of remake of R/S/E up to the first badge as a proof of concept and I' ll releaae the source code at that time so people can develop their own pokemon game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill