ROM Hack Pokémon Zwart & Wit - [Dutch Translation]

Which game title/logo do you prefer most? (Logo previews: http://gbatemp.net/t285229-pokemon-zwart-w

• Pokémon Witte/Zwarte Versie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pokémon Wit/Zwart

• Pokémon Versie Wit/Zwart

• Release two different logo's so people can choose themselves.

• Release three different logo's so people can choose themselves.

• Total voters

Oxnite

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nice video, but I would like to give the translators some tips;

Don't translate too precisely and stay consistent!

I for example have already seen the following wrong or inaccurate sentences in the video:
  • 'Deze wereld wordt wijd bewoond door mysterieuze wezens genaamd Pokémon!'
    'Widely inhabited' cannot be directly translated to 'wijd bewoond.' Therefore, as a translator, you should think of something better, for example 'Deze wereld kent talloze mysterieuze wezens genaamd Pokémon!'
  • 'Een Pokémon gevecht tegen elkaar houden is bijzonder populair' should be something like 'Het is bijzonder populair om Pokémon gevechten te houden.'
  • 'In je reis ontmoet je vele Pokémon en mensen met verschillende karakters en een manier van denken!'
    'In je reis'? Seriously? And read the last part of this sentence again, it doesn't make sense.
  • 'Ik hoop echt dat wat je ontdekt wat belangrijk voor je is door deze reis...'
    This isn't even Dutch anymore... Use this translation instead: 'Als Professor hoop ik dat het je lukt, om een speciale bond met je Pokémon te vormen.'
    You can definitely change some sentences to give the translation a nice and 'real Dutch' feeling.
  • Professor Juniper says 'That's right!' during her introduction, but you cannot translate that to 'Dat klopt!" in that sentence, because it doesn't make sense. You should translate it to something like 'Oké dan!' or 'Ben je er klaar voor?'

Now about the battle system..
  • 'De vijand's Oshawott gebruikt...' that is no Dutch at all. 'Vijand' also has a bad connotation, so you could simply use 'Tegenstander Oshawott gebruikt...'. This implies that Oshawott is the opponent and doesn't say that the Oshawott belongs to the foe, but that doesn't mind because that would give a weird and unneeded translation in Dutch.
  • 'Snivy's Verdediging daalde!' At first you use a present tense, followed by a past tense. Use 'Snivy's Verdediging is verlaagd!' instead.
  • 'Wat zal Snivy doen?' makes you think that Snivy is going to decide what to do next. Instead, 'Wat moet Snivy doen?' is a better translation.
  • 'Vlucht' and 'Vechten' - using two different forms of a verb is inconsistent, therefore use 'Vluchten' and 'Vechten' or 'Vlucht' and 'Vecht.'
  • 'De vijand's Oshawott ging neer!' No no no. Do it this way: 'Tegenstander Oshawott is uitgeschakeld!' The Dutch 'anime translation' and I must say, it's perfect.
  • Keep up the consistency.. Don't use 'Snivy verdiende ... Ervaringspunten,' use 'verdient'.
  • 'Speler versloeg PKMN Trainer Bianca.' You might want to make use of 'PKMN Trainer Bianca is verslagen!' Create passive sentences if the active sounds incorrect or inappropriate.
  • 'Fabio kreeg $500 voor de overwinning' Completely incorrect. 'Fabio krijgt $500 van zijn tegenstander' is better, you don't have to translate everything precisely like I said before.

Oh and, by the way, the video has a black box on it for a couple of minutes.

Remember, I just wanted to give tips to all you translators! I didn't intend to tear the translation apart, my English is far from perfect as well.
But just keep the following thing in mind:

GuardianSoul

Translator
OP
Trophies
Website
www.guardiansoul.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the tips, I'll see what I will change.
wink.gif

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oxnite said:
Nice video, but I would like to give the translators some tips;

I for example have already seen the following wrong or inaccurate sentences in the video:
  • 'Deze wereld wordt wijd bewoond door mysterieuze wezens genaamd Pokémon!'
    'Widely inhabited' cannot be directly translated to 'wijd bewoond.' Therefore, as a translator, you should think of something better, for example 'Deze wereld kent talloze mysterieuze wezens genaamd Pokémon!'
  • 'Een Pokémon gevecht tegen elkaar houden is bijzonder populair' should be something like 'Het is bijzonder populair om Pokémon gevechten te houden.'
  • 'In je reis ontmoet je vele Pokémon en mensen met verschillende karakters en een manier van denken!'
    'In je reis'? Seriously? And read the last part of this sentence again, it doesn't make sense.
  • 'Ik hoop echt dat wat je ontdekt wat belangrijk voor je is door deze reis...'
    This isn't even Dutch anymore... Use this translation instead: 'Als Professor hoop ik dat het je lukt, om een speciale bond met je Pokémon te vormen.'
    You can definitely change some sentences to give the translation a nice and 'real Dutch' feeling.
  • Professor Juniper says 'That's right!' during her introduction, but you cannot translate that to 'Dat klopt!" in that sentence, because it doesn't make sense. You should translate it to something like 'Oké dan!' or 'Ben je er klaar voor?'

Now about the battle system..
  • 'De vijand's Oshawott gebruikt...' that is no Dutch at all. 'Vijand' also has a bad connotation, so you could simply use 'Tegenstander Oshawott gebruikt...'. This implies that Oshawott is the opponent and doesn't say that the Oshawott belongs to the foe, but that doesn't mind because that would give a weird and unneeded translation in Dutch.
  • 'Snivy's Verdediging daalde!' At first you use a present tense, followed by a past tense. Use 'Snivy's Verdediging is verlaagd!' instead.
  • 'Wat zal Snivy doen?' makes you think that Snivy is going to decide what to do next. Instead, 'Wat moet Snivy doen?' is a better translation.
  • 'Vlucht' and 'Vechten' - using two different forms of a verb is inconsistent, therefore use 'Vluchten' and 'Vechten' or 'Vlucht' and 'Vecht.'
  • 'De vijand's Oshawott ging neer!' No no no. Do it this way: 'Tegenstander Oshawott is uitgeschakeld!' The Dutch 'anime translation' and I must say, it's perfect.
  • Keep up the consistency.. Don't use 'Snivy verdiende ... Ervaringspunten,' use 'verdient'.
  • 'Speler versloeg PKMN Trainer Bianca.' You might want to make use of 'PKMN Trainer Bianca is verslagen!' Create passive sentences if the active sounds incorrect or inappropriate.
  • 'Fabio kreeg $500 voor de overwinning' Completely incorrect. 'Fabio krijgt $500 van zijn tegenstander' is better, you don't have to translate everything precisely like I said before.

Oh and, by the way, the video has a black box on it for a couple of minutes.

Remember, I just wanted to give tips to all you translators! I didn't intend to tear the translation apart, my English is far from perfect as well.
But just keep the following thing in mind:

yea i have seen the blackbox
my windows had some errors that i didn`t notice sorry for that

Oxnite

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tanveer said:
Dont they release Dutch version of Pokemon Games?
I thought they do, because of Netherlands and Beligum
mellow.gif

Unfortunately they don't. The Netherlands and Belgium together only have about 20 - 22 million of Dutch speaking people, which is a relative low amount to translate a game for.
Especially a game that can be played in English easily (games like 'The Sims' on the other hand do get translated).

coolness

Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oxnite said:
Tanveer said:
Dont they release Dutch version of Pokemon Games?
I thought they do, because of Netherlands and Beligum
mellow.gif

Unfortunately they don't. The Netherlands and Belgium together only have about 20 - 22 million of Dutch speaking people, which is a relative low amount to translate a game for.
Especially a game that can be played in English easily (games like 'The Sims' on the other hand do get translated).

ah too bad it while be cool if pokemon was dutch
smile.gif

Oxnite

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
coolness said:
smile.gif

Well, that's the purpose of this thread. The translators are doing their best to create a Pokémon Black and White translation. I'll be helping too.

coolness

Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oxnite said:
coolness said:
smile.gif

Well, that's the purpose of this thread. The translators are doing their best to create a Pokémon Black and White translation. I'll be helping too.
ow you where also working on another translation on projectpokemon right?

Oxnite

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
coolness said:

I have worked on small projects, but for this translation I'd like to translate more. I wish I had more time on hands though.

coolness

Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oxnite said:
coolness said:

I have worked on small projects, but for this translation I'd like to translate more. I wish I had more time on hands though.

okey i`m now Busy with the pokedex do you want to help me?

Oxnite

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lenoor said:
No
biggrin.gif

I used to play on french games / tried translations, only the dutch ones were perfect.

Besides, witte versie > wit versie, because other languages use adjectives.

True, but it looks kind off in Dutch don't you think? At least, that's my opinion.

QUOTE(coolness @ Mar 26 2011, 09:31 PM) okey i`m now Busy with the pokedex do you want to help me?

Actually, I'm busy with other things at the moment, I only have time check this topic now and then.

GuardianSoul

Translator
OP
Trophies
Website
www.guardiansoul.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, let me try to explain why I used 'Witte' instead of 'Wit':
Pokémon - Witte Versie = Correct way - [example: 'De Witte versie van Pokémon]
Pokémon - Wit versie = Wrong way - [example: 'De Wit versie van Pokémon'. Wit-versie is a possibility, but still... Witte Versie sounds better to me in this case.]
Pokémon - Wit = Correct way - [example: 'Let's play Pokémon Wit!']
Pokémon - Witte = Wrong way - [example: 'Let's play Pokémon Witte!']

You shouldn't read the game title like this:
Pokémon Witte - Versie = Wrong way [Incorrect Translation]
Pokémon Wit - Versie = Wrong way

You must to seperate 'Pokémon' and 'White' from each other, take a look at this example;
Coca Cola Lite, you don't say Coca Cola Lite - Version, but Coca Cola - Lite Version.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though. It's confusing, isn't it?
Other languages are also using 'Witte' in their own language:
6894.png

English: Wit = White, Witte = White
English dude: Hey, wanna play Pokémon White, you know, the White Version?

6896.png

French, Wit = Blanc, Witte = Blanche
French dude: Bonjour, vous voulez jouer Pokémon Blanc, vous le savez, la Version Blanche?

6898.png

German, Wit = Weiss, Witte = Weisse
German dude: Hallo, willst du Pokémon Weiß spielen, wissen Sie, die Weisse Version?

6911.png

Italian, Wit = Bianco, Witte = Bianca
Italian: Ciao, voglio giocare Pokémon Bianco, si sa, la Versione Bianca?

6909.png

Spanish, Wit = Blanco, Witte = Blanca
Spanish: Hola, quiero jugar Pokémon Blanco, ya sabes, la Versión Blanca?

Dutch: White = Wit, White = Witte
Dutch: Hallo, wil je Pokémon Wit spelen, je weet wel, de Witte versie?​

Note: Again, correct me if I'm wrong, some of the sentences may be wrong, thanks to Google Translate...

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd personally say, drop the "versie".
Most children who will play this (because, I think the major part of the players of a dutch edition will be children) will just refer to it as "Pokémon wit, laten we Pokémon wit spelen, heb jij Pokémon zwart al gespeeld?"

Anyway, keep up the good work, if I wasn't so busy Id help you guys. Because I would love it if my 2 little brothers could play this game, while actually understanding what everything says.

coolness

Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wabsta said:
Most children who will play this (because, I think the major part of the players of a dutch edition will be children) will just refer to it as "Pokémon wit, laten we Pokémon wit spelen, heb jij Pokémon zwart al gespeeld?"

Anyway, keep up the good work, if I wasn't so busy Id help you guys. Because I would love it if my 2 little brothers could play this game, while actually understanding what everything says.

you can help me with the pokedex if you want
or pm Guardiansoul or Lolgreatz

Oxnite

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wabsta said:

This is my opinion too.

When do you actually add 'version' to your sentence? Never. You always say Pokémon 'Zwart' or Pokémon 'Wit', so why use the adjectives as main titles?

A poll would be nice indeed! But it's 'your' translation, of course.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock