Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon will be the last 3DS Pokemon mainline games

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This will be the slow transition from 3DS to Switch. It served its purpose, reached its lifespan, now time to move on or at least save money for the Switch. I still wonder if we will see a dual screen lineup or we will be getting a Switch 2nd gen. This thought excites me. :rofl2:

Last edited by ov3rkill,
D

Deleted User

This will be the slow transition from 3DS to Switch. It served its purpose, reached its lifespan, now time to move on or at least save money for the Switch. I still wonder if we will see a dual screen lineup or we will be getting a Switch 2nd gen. This thought excites me. :rofl2:
No. If I paid $300 for a Switch I will not be paying $500 for a Switch-3DS crossover

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Other than the Rotom-dex, the current games leaned so little on the second screen experience, at least compared to the previous main series titles. The fact alone most bottom screen actions, if not all, advertise a button instruction more clearly than touching the screen, it's like they were shedding some 3DS gimmicks. More obvious is the lack of 3D playability. So, the transition to Switch will not be rough.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The console its self may been but do remember the first main core 3DS title in 2013 being XY

You mean main core POKEMON game?
Cuz OOT3D came out in 2011.
I'm not sure what point you're even trying to make. The 3DS is old. It's old tech. They'll be moving to the next handheld soon, and that's likely where the next pokemon will be.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
people have had there heads up thier asses or what? They announced at E3 2017, the next main title coming to the Nintendo Switch. Expecting another gen on the 3ds is plan stupid. Are people real expecting nintendo to regular support the nintendo 2/3ds in 2018 with extensive titles? If they are, they shouldnt be. All models of the 3ds are about to be shovelware and maybe VC collectors. We should be expecting a portalble with the same internal specs as the switch in another year or two. a system playing the exact same games as the switch. To have needed comfirmeration pokemon sm 2.0 are the last titles on the 3ds is delusional and sad.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You mean like how B/W2 were the last main series Pokémon games for the DS or Emerald was the last main series game for the GBA? Or even how Crystal was the last one for the GBC? This isn’t new, they’ve been doing this the entire time.

Last edited by The Catboy,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't think this was unexpected to anyone. I was actually kind of surprised when they announced US/UM for 3DS, I expected it to maybe get a 3rd entry (Stars?) but not entirely new games using the same region a la B2/W2.
And I don't mind to be honest. Can't wait to see what the next generation of Pokemon games will look like on the Switch.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You talking about the Switch or something else....?
IMHO it would be stupid for Nintendo to release a new dedicated handheld now.

Actually it'd be stupid if they didn't.
The Switch isn't a handheld. It's PORTABLE, but that doesn't make it a handheld. It doesn't serve that function, and while phones have taken a chunk out of the handheld market, Nintendo still firmly holds a grasp over it.
I can't put my switch in my pocket and go out, or go to school with it to play on breaks. Or on a bus, etc. You can carry it around in a little case (I have one) but it's still a bit clunky. Like I said, portable not handheld. It doesn't serve the same purpose.

If Nintendo is incompetent (and quite honestly given how they are these days...) they WOULD think the Switch can replace the 3DS. However if they're intelligent, then they've got a new more powerful handheld lined up to begin selling soon.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually it'd be stupid if they didn't.
The Switch isn't a handheld. It's PORTABLE, but that doesn't make it a handheld. It doesn't serve that function, and while phones have taken a chunk out of the handheld market, Nintendo still firmly holds a grasp over it.
I can't put my switch in my pocket and go out, or go to school with it to play on breaks. Or on a bus, etc. You can carry it around in a little case (I have one) but it's still a bit clunky. Like I said, portable not handheld. It doesn't serve the same purpose.

If Nintendo is incompetent (and quite honestly given how they are these days...) they WOULD think the Switch can replace the 3DS. However if they're intelligent, then they've got a new more powerful handheld lined up to begin selling soon.
I just can't see another 3DS-style handheld doing as well as the 3DS. Unless that new handheld was backwards compatible with the existing 3DS library, a new handheld would be stinted right out of the gate. Sure, people said the same thing about the 3DS when it first launched, but back then, Nintendo's home console business was in deep waters and so they threw more of their weight behind the 3DS. It was easy, since the distinction between their home and handheld lines was clear. With the Switch, they're heavily advertising the console's portability. A new handheld would have a hard time gaining traction, I feel, when combined with Switch marketing + smartphone market share + possible lack of games library. Maybe an even stronger 3DS might do, but shy of a mini Switch, a brand new handheld would have a very hard time getting off the ground. Keep in mind, Nintendo's already banking heavily on mobile games. I see the Switch as their only dedicated games machine while they hold the pure mobile market through mobile titles.

Back then, there was a market for their home and handheld spaces. They both catered to two different parts of the game sphere. However, the Switch is trying to cater to both -- moving Pokemon to Switch and making a deal with Tencent to bring a popular mobile title to Switch is highly indicative of that. It's likely better business-wise for Nintendo to throw their weight behind one core device rather than spread their attention, and then create mobile titles to capitalize on the large smartphone market share. I think it'd be dumb of them to not capitalize on the mobile market share they could gobble up with the Switch by throwing yet another handheld into the fray. Investors have already marked up Switch sales estimates due to the larger audience the Switch is able to target. Its versatility in the marketplace is a big draw for the Switch. Sure, some of us like you and I might want a smaller handheld, but the rest of the market may not see it our way. For the adults they are targeting, it'd be easy for them to throw the Switch into their backpack or suitcase. I think they know that adults are likely to use their smartphone as a quick pull-out-of-pocket device while saving the Switch for longer lengths of time, such as morning commutes, flights, or office breaks. Just look at the current 3DS marketing -- it's all geared towards kids. The latest 3DS ad is reminiscent of the "kiddy" Wii U ads. Why? Because 3DS's main sell right now is to kids while Nintendo plans to capture the mature marketplace in the ways I just explained through the Switch. I think it's a justified business decision for them.

P

pasc

Switch will kill off the 3ds.
Well.... as long as the thing is as portable as it seems it can be..

That might be good.

(TBH... the 3DS is the 1st Ninty console I sold several times... I don't even own one at the moment... It's lineup was... sadly lackluster, and if the Switch gets more developer I'd be finde with them *not bringing out a new handheld* and instead getting the Switch right...)

[QUOTE="Can't wait to see what the next generation of Pokemon games will look like on the Switch.[/QUOTE]

The only thing that'd pull me back in would be if they *finally* added the "pkmn follows you around" from HG/SS back in...
I'm not even kidding.

Last edited by ,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason why I see them making another handheld device, is to keep all the 3ds games and features going. Still, don't see why they would have to be separated from the Switch. Having the same games play on both, but with just different ways to play.

Otherwise they could just make a Switch Mini and call it day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?