Pokemon Scarlet / Violet performance issues

Windsall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After playing it a bit more in portable mode, I'm able to tolerate it enough to keep playing. It's far from perfect but I'm a little more over the initial impact and trying to see what I can appreciate of it. I've played imperfect games in the past xD. The new quality of life things make leveling smoother. I used to love the long battles but I've played a lot of pokemons so I don't mind it the fast option. I also like how i can look at the battles (camera angles) though could be even better.

I don't think it's impossible for me to overlook the frame rate and enjoy the game, but I really do hope they keep updating and hopefully making that better too xD.

Last edited by Windsall,
Reactions: Working_Goose

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
keep in mind that everyone is playing a game that is not released and may not yet have all patches that nin/gf have ready for us.
Yes, a game should be playable at release without a massive day one patch but thats not the fault of the developers. they have to meet deadlines and obviosuly the boss'es are pressing the devs to work as much as possible in the shortest amount of time possible.

I dont want to defend a bad game at all, but the devs are under immense pressure and because games have to be ready long before release for physical gamecards, a day one patch is a very obvious and simple solution to keep working on a game before it hits its releasedate.

I dont like the 30fps npc's & pokemons, weird graphical glitches etc either but im going to keep that mostly to myself until release date because we are very obviously not meant to play it yet. They already fixed a lot of things that were bad in the previous game, like missing alpha mats on some trees/leafes, a broken ground parallax that caused the purple'ish shimmer on the ground etc. They introduced a few more issues here and there but like i said, everyone should wait until release before bashing begins.

PS: no, i am not a fanboy, otherwise i would actually pay for this. I am looking at this from a developer point of view.

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Imo the best Pokemon since Sun/Moon, performance is a mess even with the patch but it's really fun to explore and gets actually difficult after the first few main quests.
What really helps is OCing RAM and CPU but the stutters are a optimization problem not an hardware one.

pugdog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get sys-clk and use this settings:

CPU: Do not overide
GPU: 691 Mhz
MEM: 1600 Mhz

That will give you full texture resolution, no frame drops and more overall stability without over-stressing the console
Enjoy! ;)
Im guessing this is limited to the mariko and newer consoles right?

The oc suite says it doesnt allow you to oc anything but ram on erista consoles

I havent oc'd mine yet for this reason. Can anyone clarify and/or suggest a guide for erista models?

Thanks

EDIT: figured it out, HUGE improvement with these settings

Last edited by pugdog,
Reactions: mitrium

Misledz

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Whats crazy is on handheld mode the clk settings make it a breeze to play and no over heating issues, BUT on dock mode the console heats up like crazy even without the clk settings, not sure how bad docked is but it's obvious in a way this was catered more around the handheld than docked.

XVicarious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
keep in mind that everyone is playing a game that is not released and may not yet have all patches that nin/gf have ready for us.
Yes, a game should be playable at release without a massive day one patch but thats not the fault of the developers. they have to meet deadlines and obviosuly the boss'es are pressing the devs to work as much as possible in the shortest amount of time possible.

I dont want to defend a bad game at all, but the devs are under immense pressure and because games have to be ready long before release for physical gamecards, a day one patch is a very obvious and simple solution to keep working on a game before it hits its releasedate.

I dont like the 30fps npc's & pokemons, weird graphical glitches etc either but im going to keep that mostly to myself until release date because we are very obviously not meant to play it yet. They already fixed a lot of things that were bad in the previous game, like missing alpha mats on some trees/leafes, a broken ground parallax that caused the purple'ish shimmer on the ground etc. They introduced a few more issues here and there but like i said, everyone should wait until release before bashing begins.

PS: no, i am not a fanboy, otherwise i would actually pay for this. I am looking at this from a developer point of view.
We have the first, day one, patch. 1.0.1. It did help improve certain things (the legendary stakes took a good 10 seconds to process when you interacted with them, now they're more or less instant). But somewhere mentioned they have two more patches coming. As to when, I don't know anything, though I assume before the end of the year or maybe even the month.

Reactions: Windsall

felixsrg

Temp's Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Im guessing this is limited to the mariko and newer consoles right?

The oc suite says it doesnt allow you to oc anything but ram on erista consoles

I havent oc'd mine yet for this reason. Can anyone clarify and/or suggest a guide for erista models?

Thanks

EDIT: figured it out, HUGE improvement with these settings

Hey there, how did you do to get it working? It seems no matter what I do or change on sys-clk, the GPU seems to not change at all.

Steinyamite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get sys-clk and use this settings:

CPU: Do not overide
GPU: 691 Mhz
MEM: 1600 Mhz

That will give you full texture resolution, no frame drops and more overall stability without over-stressing the console
Enjoy! ;)

I was testing this on docked but didn’t see any improvement. I’m going to guess this is for handheld plugged in?

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Play right now v1.0.1 scarlet docked and almost all fine.
Fps sometimes clearly drops (saw in north forest and in town beside desert. Sometimes lags (always when you go to boxes). That's all
Really enjoy this game, only part annoy me is info panel when you catch same pokemon always showed.

Misledz

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
So this might be an unpopular opinion, if you can't deal with the fps drops from it trying to render everything, tilt your camera to face the floor, your FPS should jump back to the 30's lol. This is how I got around giant areas that suffered terrible performance.

mitrium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was testing this on docked but didn’t see any improvement. I’m going to guess this is for handheld plugged in?
Correct, thats for handheld plugged in; in docked mode you can go CPU 1785 GPU 921 MEM 1600, and from there, start lowering down step by step until it performs as good as possible at the lowest clocks possible :)
Regards!

Reactions: Windsall

MrSandstorm

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Has anyone been trying overclocking while on docked mode? I've been testing on a Lite with ReverseNX and OC-Suite. So far I've had the best results with the following settings:

CPU: 1428MHz
GPU: 768MHz
MEM: 1996MHz (OC-Suite maximum for Mariko)

The setting with the biggest impact seems to be bringing the memory up from 1600. This made the slow-downs from 30fps less frequent. It also doesn't go as far down, the worst I've seen so far was 26-27fps when combined with the GPU and CPU settings. Game still doesn't feel smooth though, just less jittery.

Weirdly enough, bringing the GPU down from 921 to 768 seemed to have helped a bit instead of making things worse, though I haven't tested enough to make this claim. Combined with the CPU bump to 1428 it feels to me as the smoothest I've been able to get this game to run, and has the added benefit of the console no longer doing it's best impression of a jet engine like it did with the GPU at 921.

lezterrnb

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I am playing on Ryujinx, with VSync-OFF, and limiting the FPS on Nvidia Control Panel to just 60 FPS so it does not match my normal refresh rate of 144hz. I am able to play the game buttery smooth at constant 60fps with a little drop to 40-50 fps every now and then. I also used the Game-speed-0.5x cheat so that the game won't feel fast-forward at 60fps but just very smooth gameplay.

I guess it is safe to say that it is a hardware issue already since I can play the game at 60fps and just a few frames drop every now and then while the console itself could barely play the game.

My specs:
CPU: Core i7 9700K
GPU: Geforce 1060 6GB
RAM: 16GB 3200Mhz

Though my CPU is at constant 80%++ most of the time while the GPU is around 60% constantly and my RAM is about 90%. That's a lot of resources in demand for just a Pokemon Switch Game.

IMO, If a PC with better specs can play the game smoothly at 60fps while the console it was released on could barely play the game without the annoying stutters and capped at 30fps, I guess it is safe to say that the issue could be fixed by playing the game on a better hardware, thus they released a game that played poorly on Switch but could be played smoothly and a good gaming pc. Would this not make it a hardware issue? Just my two cents based on my experience
Ryujinx.PNG

Last edited by lezterrnb,
Reactions: Clapmastr

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would this not make it a hardware issue? Just my two cents based on my experience
somebody doesn't understand that poor optimization means stronger hardware would be needed than intended. of course throwing stronger hardware at a poorly coded game will make it run better and has been the case even with pc games forever that doesn't make its original intended hardware inferior it just makes the developers for said game incompetent. a game like Elden ring on PC is a good example of poor optimization with it needing stronger hardware than it should require.

Reactions: XVicarious and k7ra

lezterrnb

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
somebody doesn't understand that poor optimization means stronger hardware would be needed than intended. of course throwing stronger hardware at a poorly coded game will make it run better and has been the case even with pc games forever that doesn't make its original intended hardware inferior it just makes the developers for said game incompetent. a game like Elden ring on PC is a good example of poor optimization with it needing stronger hardware than it should require.
I agree. Even throwing a gaming pc with decent specs still demands a huge amount of resources that require my CPU, GPU, and RAM at almost max at all times really shows how poorly the game was optimized. Compared to the Pokemon Arceus that have a decent performance overall and does not require robust specs and resources. What I am just trying to say is that at the current state of the game at the time of this writing, even a gaming pc would almost overheat just for a mere Pokemon Switch game which was not the case for the Pokemon Arceus before. This just shows how badly Nintendo released this Violet/Scarlett at an almost all-time high trash level.

Reactions: Clapmastr

Clapmastr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am playing on Ryujinx, with VSync-OFF, and limiting the FPS on Nvidia Control Panel to just 60 FPS so it does not match my normal refresh rate of 144hz. I am able to play the game buttery smooth at constant 60fps with a little drop to 40-50 fps every now and then. I also used the Game-speed-0.5x cheat so that the game won't feel fast-forward at 60fps but just very smooth gameplay.

I guess it is safe to say that it is a hardware issue already since I can play the game at 60fps and just a few frames drop every now and then while the console itself could barely play the game.

My specs:
CPU: Core i7 9700K
GPU: Geforce 1060 6GB
RAM: 16GB 3200Mhz

Though my CPU is at constant 80%++ most of the time while the GPU is around 60% constantly and my RAM is about 90%. That's a lot of resources in demand for just a Pokemon Switch Game.

IMO, If a PC with better specs can play the game smoothly at 60fps while the console it was released on could barely play the game without the annoying stutters and capped at 30fps, I guess it is safe to say that the issue could be fixed by playing the game on a better hardware, thus they released a game that played poorly on Switch but could be played smoothly and a good gaming pc. Would this not make it a hardware issue? Just my two cents based on my experienceView attachment 339047
Where can I get the half speed code for Scarlet 1.0.1? It wasn't in the main cheat file.

Edit: Nevermind found it in the cheat thread.

Last edited by Clapmastr,

MrSandstorm

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Does anyone knows some good specs for overclocking docked?
I've been testing this for about 10h of gameplay, even posted some tentative settings a few posts back in this thread. So far my recommendation would be: don't bother. You have to push the console really far, to the point it gets too loud, power draw may or may not be too high for sustained usage (not sure about what the power rails on the Switch are rated for), and there will still be stutters and slow downs. IMO the best (or rather, least annoying) setup is having the console docked or on official charger, use ReverseNX to force handheld graphics and overclock from there.

If you really want the extra eye candy from docked mode graphics your best bet would likely be to set memory as high as you safely can (varies between Erista and Mariko models) and then push the CPU, but again, not recommended. Your console will get LOUD and I can't say anything with certainty regarding possible long term damage from heat and/or high power draw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...