Pokemon Moon save transfer (JKSM) to new console not working

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by romanaOne, Dec 3, 2016.

1. romanaOne
    OP

romanaOne GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero
    What am I doing wrong? I export the save data from 3ds console #1 to a folder, copy it to the other console #2, use JKSM to import the data from the folder on SD and Moon will not start. It says the save data is corrupted. The only way to get Moon to start after this is to hold down Up+X+B at the N logo screen.

On the old console #1, I have played up to the first gym master, kahuna, whatever.

Immediately before the attempted import, I played the game a little on console #2 and got up to the first opportunity to save, then saved and quit.

After deleting all the save data with Up+X+B, I tried importing again with JKSM. There was no error in JKSM, but Moon will still not start and says the save data is corrupted.

My exported save is a file called "main" and it is 441855 bytes in size. Both consoles are running the latest Luma, and have been A9LHed. Both consoles have the game installed from CIA.

2. the assaf

the assaf GBAtemp Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    I think you should backup the game on console #2 with JKSM once, and then import your save.
    The game also use extdata for several things, so export and import that too.

3. romanaOne
    OP

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    Still does not work. After backing up console #2's save game, I can successfully restore it with JKSM. Restoring console #1's game still results in a corrupted save file.

I tried to export ExtData on Console #1, but JKSM says there is no ExtData.

I notice the save files are not the same size. Console #2's save file is 441856 bytes in size. Console #1's is 441855.

4. azerti1304

azerti1304 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2015
    France
    For transfer save Pokemon, I begin with a new character, save when miaous come in my room.
    Export save with Jksm.
    Go on PC with SD card.
    On my PC ,open the main file of my old save with Pkhex. I click save bak. I select my new save (main file) in Jksm on SD card.
    Boot on 3ds, in jksm import save.

Last edited by azerti1304, Dec 3, 2016
  5. romanaOne
    OP

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    I figured it out. The save file was corrupted. I was running ftpd on the 3ds to copy JKSV/Saves/Pokemon_Moon/main to my computer. Somehow, it corrupted the file. (Maybe ftpd thinks files without an extension are text?)

Removing the SD card and using a card reader to copy the file to console #2, the save was restored by JKSM no problem. No need to play around with pkhex or do anything else special.

6. MisterAlex

MisterAlex Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2006
    United States
    In case anyone else runs into this problem, the fix is to set your FTP client's transfer mode to Binary, not ASCII or Automatic.

Zidapi likes this.
  7. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    If you want an easier way of wirelessly transferring files, use microsd management. If you're on a n3ds, it's built into system settings. If you're on o3ds, search up the cia on that iso site.

DrkBeam likes this.
  8. MisterAlex

MisterAlex Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2006
    United States
    Cool, I'll check that out. How's it easier than FTP, though? FTP's about as simple a file transfer as you can get.
    Does that work for transferring .CIA files to the microSD card, too?

9. ispano

ispano Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2010
    United States
    It shows up on the network as a network drive.

MisterAlex likes this.
  10. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    So like imagine a flash drive but over the network, super simple to use, and has a better gui, since it uses the default file browser.

11. MisterAlex

MisterAlex Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2006
    United States
    I know what a network drive is, thanks. :v

12. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Just makin suuuure. The other day there was a thread about somebody's sd card being full, so you never know what you'll have to explain.

MisterAlex likes this.