forkyfork

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In celebration of the upcoming Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Diamond/Pearl, and Ranger... I really want to keep a promise to myself and complete a pokemon game all the way through. I don't want to catch 'em all.. just most of them all.

Which Pokemon game do you recommend? I was looking at Fire Red or Emerald, but I remembered Yellow had the cute little "keep pikachu happy" storyline in it. And then someone said Crystal, since it's uses the real time clock.

Help a sister out. Is there one that's particularly easier over others too?

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would go with either Ruby Red or Saphire. Those were pretty good. They all are about the same in terms of difficulty (read: not hard)

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd probably recommend one of the GBA games like Fire Red, Leaf Green or Emerald since you'll be able to transfer your Pokemon data over to Peal/Diamond. Saying that though Gold/Silver/Crystal are definately better games IMO, the day/night features and breeding aspects etc... make them the most fun games in the series (after the originals of course). =)

forkyfork

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd probably recommend one of the GBA games like Fire Red, Leaf Green or Emerald since you'll be able to transfer your Pokemon data over to Peal/Diamond. Saying that though Gold/Silver/Crystal are definately better games IMO, the day/night features and breeding aspects etc... make them the most fun games in the series (after the originals of course). =)

If I play the game on a ROM, will I still be able to transfer my data over?

forkyfork

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

MAD_BOY

Lazy bum
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
well then obviously no

i''d recommend any of the gb games, they're the best
blue red and yellow are easier though, as you only need 151 pokemon there, which can be gotten by trading with the red/yellow versions and by using the Mew glitch

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
As long as you're playing one of the GBA games you'll be able to play in an emulator and later transfer the save to a GBA flash cart if you ever get one, then if you have diamond/pearl in the future you'll be able to transfer pokemon to those.

If you're going to use emulators exclusively, you can still trade (with VBAlink), but only between GBA versions.

ctunightfall

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to use the same game saves with the different versions, i.e leaf green & fire red, ruby/sapphire/emerald, etc?

With Diamond/Pearl, you'll be able to transfer your gba pokemon to the ds games through the gba link, much like how other special features are unlocked with other gba/ds combos (rockman zx & rockman zero, castlevania AoS & DoS ...)

VBA also has an import/export battery file so you could transfer your save games to and from your flash carts.

Using roms, some flash carts have the gba/ds link feature, m3, supercard, g6 i think.

Anything I missed?

forkyfork

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As long as you're playing one of the GBA games you'll be able to play in an emulator and later transfer the save to a GBA flash cart if you ever get one, then if you have diamond/pearl in the future you'll be able to transfer pokemon to those.

If you're going to use emulators exclusively, you can still trade (with VBAlink), but only between GBA versions.

I do have a GBA flash cart.

Can I use VBALink in conjuction with the flash cart. I have not heard about it.

dew98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am playing Emerald right now but I have only seen season one of the show so I was bummed there is no Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Charmader, ect. Emerald does have some new stuff like 2V2 battles which I am pretty sure is new. And the introduction of Magma/Aqua.....I wish I would have played Leaf/Fire though first.

*edit
Its been confirmed Leaf/Fire will be connectible to the PEarl/Diamond games

inter4ever

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well people said that GBA link feature doesnt work quite well so the best thing is to get an original GBA game and wait for the new DS versions and then buy them!This way you will be ready to transfer with out any problems.Did people forget that those game werern't meant to be played on Flashcarts?

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with VBAlink you have to open two instances of the program and run the game in them. Then when you try to link the games it'll well, link them.
Only trouble is you have to have the ram and CPU to emulate the GBA twice.

You cant really do any links between your PC and your GBA/DS like you may be thinking.

Only thing you can do is transfer the sav file to your GBA flashcart and continue from there.
To do trades and stuff with hardware you'll just need the hardware.
But VBAlink will make trades easier.

Also, when did VBAlink not work with GB/GBC games? It links old GB games that use the link cable only. Ofcourse you cant use the infared functions sadly. Still, I remember linking GB games on VBA link just fine. Do the origonal GB/GBC pokemon games not work or something?

As for the best pokemon game, Id say the Fire red and Leaf green ones are best since it includes everything. Though the Cyrstal and Silver ones and the like were much more fun with the realtime functions.
To be honest the GBA games felt like a downgrade in features just so they can fit more still images of pokemon.
I think it would be best to wait for the next game to come out. Cuase ya know its just upgrades and what not. (hoping for 3D graphics though)

Like inter4ever said, it'll be best to get a more recent one wich will most likely unlock the older pokemon for the newer DS games.

Still, the last GBA one is a nice remake of the first one and worth playing through and completing I think.

I never completed even one Pokemon game. I always got half way and quit as I already saw about everything the game had to offer just about.

Oh and as for pokemon themselves, Evee and its evolutions are my favorite :3
I got started on the game when it was first released xD (GB mono ones)

inter4ever

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If someone wants to play a game i would suggest the Emerald version,it has a lot of improvements and supports alot of features.Also the story was enhanced from the RS versionsand it added features from FR and LG and it also added others taken from pokemon crystal like the phone and the animation of pokemon.
(I ahve finished Blue completely and caught 150 pokemons and i finished yellow,gold,crystal,ruby,fire red,and emerald)

Darksage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
id go for one of the more recent ones on the GBA.They were decent, but if you like old games go for the GBC(they were fast to completly beat) so if your looking for something slow..GBA.

_ORiON_

Trophies
Website
loerion.googlepages.com
XP
Country
if you choose among gb versions: i say YELLOW
if you choose among gbc versions: i say CRYSTAL
if you choose among gba versions: i say EMERALD

gb versions are the easiest and shortest, but i say EMERALD's the most enjoyable and won't bore you until you finish everything (and trying to focus in catching them all, and the Frontier)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk