Pokemon GO Sets Century Stock Record

pokemon-go.jpg

The wildly popular mobile phenomenon Pokemon GO has set a new record for Nintendo, and it's a game it (technically speaking) didn't even make!

According to Bloomberg, Nintendo traded 476 billion yen ($4.5 billion) worth of shares on Friday, the biggest daily turnover for any company in the Topix index this century, effectively making history in the Tokyo stock market. The video game company giant surged 71 percent last week after the game became an instant hit, its largest weekly gain ever.

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 14.50.27.png

It seems like the hype for the game is reaping its fruits and it still has to get an official international release!

:arrow:SOURCE

k3rizz3k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sad to say that I\m hooked. Looking at it from an outsiders view it should be boring.. but to me it's not.

D

Deleted User

When somebody says "ughh this game is bad because balhflajhfdfh" has a opinion but this app isn't bad. This app is encouraging people to go outside, socialize, and this app can only be a advantage.

Reactions: DSoryu

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I tried pokemon go, and after 5 minutes of playing, it was off my phone
You literally just walk around, tap a pokemon and throw balls at it
I might have just played it too little, and the game turns a lot better later, but it didn't make a very good first impression

imo, this game's popularity is proof that humanity is going downhill

Really? That's all? The main goal of the game is to met people and go together to catch many as you can. You don't need graphics or wathever because the real world is the main field of the game. I had spent hours playing it with many people, and is amazing the conection you can make, and the feeling of acomplishment when catching rare pokemons is priceless, like I felt when paying the console games but elevated so many levels up.

Also, the pokemon DO REALLY appear always in certain areas of the map, meaning that you MUST go there to catch them, like in the console games.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Waiting for MH Online for the west too? :P
No because there are minor differences due to the engine not being ported properly and it triggers me. I'll just get the NX versions or whatever, they'll surely have an ultra ultimate generation 4 title with all the content plus bonuses so I'm not gonna miss on anything.

Lol pretty standard spec wars style comment. You know, part of the reason 3DS gets not just excellent first-party support but decent third-party as well is because it's not overly complex to program for. Simple hardware isn't bad hardware.

Most japanese developers already abandoned handhelds for shitty P2W phone games, actually. The 3DS's third party line-up compared to that of the DS is embarrassingly poor because of this. Nintendo handhelds are relatively popular because they never had serious competition due to Sony failing hard first and foremost, everything else comes after. Besides, where were all the games during the first year where the 3DS was doing really bad, why did a ton of them get canceled?
Bad hardware is just bad hardware and a different issue in itself. The WiiU notoriously has the worst devkits of its generation making its early development hell (to the point where analysts blame the entire success of the system on the early devkit incident) and it's also the weakest system. Devkits/architecture and specs are mostly unrelated to each other.

If specs are primary concern for gaming it's time to go PC Master Race. After all, the current PS4 and Xbone hardware was, what, equivalent to a mid-range PC from about 2010? By the line of reasoning used in the original post they're not useful and advanced devices and you're better off buying a machine you have to consistently upgrade to play new games if you want maximum graphical fidelity. Lot of people can't be bothered with that...
Actually...
House himself publicly stated they made Scorpio to hope to stop enthusiastic gamers from moving to PC. The Neo is being made for the same reason. Are you sure the numbers are what you think they are? Are two companies spending millions and changing their core release structure for a dozen nerds that care too much? It's not 2003 anymore, most young people know how to use and maintain computers by now.
You could just compare Steam's numbers with console userbase numbers, while keeping in mind that steam is not a proprietary, mandatory OS but merely one third party store. Or the fact that the number of console exclusives is steadily diminishing. It's harder to get exclusivity deals from developers because the market is much wider now.
Individual onsoles perform the best in the "AA" sub-market of games (which happens to be where I find my favourite games in general), but overall, they are actually a minority market today, compared to phones and PCs.

Finally, the great thing about PC is not power, but flexibility. You have the choice to get power, however much fits your needs. You also have the choice to get a computer that's cheaper than consoles that only plays oudated games or 2D indie games. It's what console manufacturers are trying to chase now, after turning their consoles into baby computers since last gen (what with game installs, firmware updates, stores, overlays, complex OSes, etc). The trend in the intended consoles' evolution is very to me.

Kinqdra

GBAtemp's Official T-shirt
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Why have weird connectivity features requiring you to use 2 different handheld devices when you can just port the main games on phones so it's all in one place?
I'm talking about the current generation of smartphones and Pokemon games, so the new speculated Nintendo game/phone hybrid isn't yet an option. That being said, I don't see the main Pokemon game series released on current smartphones any time soon.. Also, I don't see how a simple online connection enabled between the two is considered weird.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
No because there are minor differences due to the engine not being ported properly and it triggers me. I'll just get the NX versions or whatever, they'll surely have an ultra ultimate generation 4 title with all the content plus bonuses so I'm not gonna miss on anything.
Ah, I wasn't aware of these differences. I'll have to check that out because indeed, depending on what changed, this might repel me too.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"Losing" does exist in MMO's - there are penalties for dying or failing quests. You can lose equipment or XP, and at high level play those can be high stakes as gaining good equipment or earning a high level can take months. A Failure State doesn't necessarily mean the game ends, it can also be a severe setback.
And the number of MMOs with death penalties that I'd class as "severe" can be counted on one hand with some missing fingers. The difficulty curve doesn't exist in the vast majority of them. It just goes from easy to very easy. Your progress depends entirely on how much time you sink into it. Exactly like Pokemon Go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative