Activision Blizzard lays off 800 employees, Blizzard to not release any major titles this year

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Feb 9, 2019.

1. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Zzzz

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Regardless of who created the problem, the existence of workers who now aren't necessary doesn't make sense. You can absolutely blame the higher ups for the problem, and I would concur in this case. Most of those higher ups have left the company. There was a mass executive exodus at Activison, the CEO was ousted, and the company's CFO was fired. So, the higher ups that made this mess are gone. You mentioned EA, and a similar executive exodus happened there.

Looking back at Activison, the company is undergoing a restructuring. That means some jobs will no longer be necessary. If we get into supply and demand, and if we take supply to mean the company's level of output, they lost a big series in Destiny, and have scaled back other series in light of demand (for series like Skylanders) dropping. With a cut in their ability to supply content, and with a drop in demand for some of their other content, the equilibrium of supply drops, and you now have a surplus of labor within the company. The more employees you have, the less efficient each employee is on average, as you hire the best talent first and then every consecutive hire is, on average, a decrease in talent. If your company is scaling back, the output falls under the bottom line efficiency when you have too many resources (in this case, workers) applied to too little production for the new equilibrium supply. And thus, inefficient resources need to be jettissoned. A round of layoffs is necessary to offset the decrease and buoy the company. It's basic economics that apply to all companies, regardless of size. You're hired for your labor and are let go if your labor is no longer needed.

On a more personal note, since it's easy to get too impersonal when examining economics, a CEO or executive team can lift a company into the sky or drive them into the dirt. It's unfortunate when the latter occurs, and unfortunate for the layoffs that typically follow. The ebb and flow of hiring and layoffs is an immutable fact of economics in a capitalist society, not just because of executive failures, but also because of market forces beyond the control of any one company. I believe companies that have cash should provide severance to ease the transition of laid-off workers into a new job. Activision, from what I hear, is offering 6 months of payment as severence. Hopefully that is enough for those laid off workers to find new work. We have labor laws to account for this, and I believe it's in the interest of game industry workers to unionize, given the volatility of the industry and its resultant conditions for worker exploitation.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Are you sure?
    When learning about project design I was told always always always have a specification... and they were right. The one time, of many occasions I forwent this wisdom, that it did not come back to bite me in the arse was when I was doing work for reasonable people (something of a rarity in some of my circles).
    Part of that is a timeframe/schedule of works. They then either failed to do a proper estimate, failed to work at the required/stated rate or encountered some unexpected troubles (and failed to allow some flexibility to fix it). Given the nature of their development this last few years I am not inclined to believe the latter is too troubling. I will have to look at how many of their games came in over budget but if that is the case then the execs were still prepared to stump up some more cash as well.

Similarly they are the ones that made the games that did not sell. It could be that some moron marketing department decided that the kids were into [this] and did them in that way, or it could have been directed from on high by the execs (rare as I imagine it is more of a pitch and sequel type affair). Similarly given that we have had fantastic games come out of rather dysfunctional environments, seemingly for far lower budgets (how many a late PS2/early 360 era dev would have loved to have even half of what a potentially flagship title would get today?) and far more restricted hardware then.

It could be that there is a single location to lay blame but from where I sit there looks to be lots to go around everywhere. If I am going to absolve the low level workers of anything then I am going to need something more.

Have you seen Pantheon? I have never been one for MMOs (much much prefer local co-op here) but that actually has me excited for something for the first time in a very long time.

3. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Blizzard needs to cut their losses at this point, and leave Activision to die.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  4. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    Last edited by Joe88, Feb 9, 2019
  5. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    the overwatch has a lot of potential to become a major E-sport game, the goal was selling interval spots and get as much sponsors as possible, since overwatch user base has reached a saturate point and it's so hard to gain more new players.

p.s. can 't go further 2900, but making a smurf and entertain on golds and silvers is priceless xD

6. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    Well it's not so much about gaining more players, its more about keeping the player base steady which has been rapidly been dwindling for a while now. You can also see it on twitch and other streaming platforms and ow is not in a good place anymore.

7. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

Aug 2, 2014
    United States
    [fate6@Canterlot ~]$
    1)ActiBlizz can't sell what they never owned, Bungie always had ownership of the Destiny IP while ActiBlizz had a 10 year contract to publish and market the series.

Said contract was close to ending and Bungie having new funds from tencent wanted out while actiblizz also wanting out due to "low sales"

2)Activition and Blizzard are a single company

8. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Why are they losing their jobs? Do they not have phones?

IncredulousP, brickmii82 and DarthDub like this.
  9. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Activision Blizzard now hiring:
    Required skills: having a phone

Bladexdsl likes this.
  10. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Advanced Maniac | Dev | Trap

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    In your fridge
    I'm just glad Bungie got their IP back from those shitheads at Activision. Good on them, but this seems all too suspicious for them to be firing employees for "restructuring."

11. drazenm

drazenm Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2008
    United States
    Time to finally finish up and release Diablo 4? It's about time.

12. DavidKang

DavidKang GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2012
    Seoul
    I guess they couldn't play the new Diablo game because they didn't have phones...

Bladexdsl likes this.
  13. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    This is the truth here, they will likely be able to easily get a new job with much higher pay.

14. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Don't think Blizzard is planning new IPs anytime soon (maybe they'll come with a battle royale of their own in a few years if the trend persists).

As for Activision, not sure if they're planning anything other than milking call of duty (which development is outsourced if I'm not mistaken) and crash bandicoot franchises.

Makes sense.

15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Proof that mergers typically end up sucking royally.

16. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Canada
    Heroes of the Storm Remastered with KOTOR DLC

17. Maximilious

Maximilious *whistles his distinct tune*

GBAtemp Patron
    Maximilious is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Happy to say I contributed to those declining micro-transactions. Fuck Activision and what they've done to Blizzard. I've boycotted them along with EA - Always vote with your wallet! On to greener pastures (and better developers).

18. I pwned U!

I pwned U! GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    I pwned U! is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2013
    United States
    I have been hearing about this on local radio station business reports lately, but the guy keeps calling it "Activation" Blizzaard.

Chary likes this.
  19. IncredulousP

IncredulousP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2012
    United States
    Important distinction: Blizzard is not firing employees, they are laying off employees. Those employees will receive unemployment until their next jobs (or the unemployment time limit), and won't have their work record tainted with a firing.

20. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I suppose in a way that's nice of them, but really the employees shouldn't be getting fired at all. The people at the top should be taking pay cuts and re-thinking the shitty direction they've been taking the company in recently. Instead they'll just release some low-level employees and remain entirely tone-deaf to their own fan base.

Captain_N likes this.