ROM Hack Pokemon distro carts "hacking"

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just in case anyone reading didnt know, I made a GUI tool for this purpose here

The dual wondercards is interesting though...
And I think if the values are set correctly, its region free? Correct me if im wrong, just not sure whats being said here

Poryhack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MicShadow said:
Just in case anyone reading didnt know, I made a GUI tool for this purpose here

The dual wondercards is interesting though...
And I think if the values are set correctly, its region free? Correct me if im wrong, just not sure whats being said here
There's no way to make it region-free as far as I know. You can change the GGID (basically the language) to any region/language you want and distribute, but there isn't a way to set it to all languages at once.

Morfeo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
pokefan92 said:
It would be a good Idea Morfeo, but I think it is part of the structure of the rom and It can't be changed... It's like we wanted to make the previous years, making it region free... I think we should have to wait... But there is one thing I think it could be interesting. Shaymin Distribution Cart has 5 WCD... What if we put it 6? (The Japanese one). Between every GGID there are unknown values:
C0 76 02 02 24 74 02 02
2C 74 02 02
34 74 02 02
3C 74 02 02
44 74 02 02

So, i Think that if we put here the japanese GGID and then we add 4C 74 02 02, it should recognise japanese versions! Then, we only have to put the jp.bin, and that's all! What do you have to say? Do you think it is possible? Thanks in advance

Español [Para ti, Morfeo xD]
Lo que dices seria buena idea, pero creo que, al formar parte de la estructura del juego, es como el Region Free en lo del Deoxys, habria que esperar a que saliera una nueva Rom cuya estructura este preparada para ello... Aun asi tengo una idea.... ¿Porque no le metemos la sexta wondercard a la japonesa? Si fijas, hay una similitud entre esos valores desconocidos que hay entre cada uno de los GGID del arm9.bin

C0 76 02 02 24 74 02 02
2C 74 02 02
34 74 02 02
3C 74 02 02
44 74 02 02

Pues he pensado, que si despues de esto le metemos la GGID japonesa y le ponemos 4C 74 02 02, reconoceria juegos japoneses sin tener que quitar el italiano!!!! Despues habria que crear uno que fuera el jp.bin, y listo
tongue.gif
. Bueno, dime, como lo ves tu?

[english]
Your proposal is interesting, in fact I had previously thought about that, but then I thought it could not be possible that one would have to completely change the structure of the ARM9 to add the 6th language. In addition, the values you mentioned are the addresses on the same arm9.bin indicating each GGID the name of file .bin to be used, as Poryhack said:
2C 74 02 02 = 02 02 74 2C = File "02" (arm9.bin) Offset: 0x "02742C" (fr.bin)

But if it is actually possible what you mentioned and could do it, it would be a great option.

[spanish]
Tú propuesta es interesante, de hecho anteriormente se me había ocurrido hacer eso, pero después creí que no podía ser posible por que se tendría que cambiar por completo la estructura del arm9 para añadir el 6to idioma. Además, los valores que tú mencionaste son las direcciones en el mismo arm9.bin para indicar a cada GGID el nombre del archivo .bin que usará, tal como dijo Poryhack:
2C 74 02 02 = 02 02 74 2C = Archivo "02"(arm9.bin) Offset:0x"02742C"(fr.bin)

Pero si en realidad es posible lo que mencionaste y pudieras hacerlo, seria una gran opción.

QUOTE(Poryhack @ May 22 2010, 11:37 AM) Those "unknown values" seem to be some kind of offset for the wondercard files (en.bin, etc). When I messed with them and went to download the wondercard onto Diamond I saw that it was trying to retrieve the wondercard title from somewhere that there wasn't one (it appeared on diamond as a bunch of garbled characters).

I have a feeling there's more to it then this anyway. Everything about this ROM is pretty much hard-coded; you'd have to also find and edit the part that loads the bin files, and probably the part that reads the language settings from the DS's firmware (I'm pretty sure this isn't it).

I did notice one interesting and potentially useful thing when I was messing around though. When the ROM peeks at the DS's language settings it's looking for either French, German, Italian, Spanish, or English. When it doesn't find any of those (aka when it's set to Japanese) it falls back to English. What this means is that you can replace the English GGID with the Japanese one and you will be able to distribute to Japanese clients with the DS language set to Japanese. The only downside to this is that you lose functionality with English clients. Morfeo was willing to lose functionality with Italian clients, so I can't imagine English would be much worse.

[english]
On the proposal to eliminate the distribution of English language, I had thought, but I use American versions (although we speak Spanish in Mexico), so I could not delete the language of their use in distributions, which use a bit. But anyway thank you very much.

Anyway, as I have explained that to accomplish what I had thought, would need to have extensive knowledge of ARM assembler code, so you may not be achieved, but if someone could get either adding an extra language or a language replacing another (less English) they are grateful.

[spanish]
Sobre la propuesta de eliminar la distribución a idioma Ingles, ya lo había pensado, pero yo uso versiones Americanas (aunque hablamos Español en México), así que no podría eliminar el idioma que mas uso en distribuciones, por el que uso un poco. Pero de todas formas muchas gracias.

De todas formas ya me habían explicado que para realizar lo que tenia yo pensado, necesitaría tener amplios conocimientos de código ensamblador ARM, así que tal vez no se pueda lograr, pero si alguien pudiera conseguirlo ya sea añadiendo un idioma extra o reemplazando un idioma por otro (menos Ingles) se los agradecería mucho.

Poryhack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8BitWalugi said:
Wait, why do we need this? I've got a program that I DL'd when the Deoxys Distro Card was dumped that automatically does it for you.
There are other ROMs with different functionality that I'm guessing aren't supported by whatever program you're using.

Jran Sakarra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggest this be taken down.
The last time something like this was up the Platinum event was ruined with a racist gengar and also a fake events at Nats that had Nintendo on a witch hunt.
The last two guides where deleted, because it is illegal to even have this ROM cause it is not for sale in the first place, so a legal copy can not be owned.

Poryhack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jran Sakarra said:
The last time something like this was up the Platinum event was ruined with a racist gengar and also a fake events at Nats that had Nintendo on a witch hunt.
The last two guides where deleted, because it is illegal to even have this ROM cause it is not for sale in the first place, so a legal copy can not be owned.
Oh please... The information needed to edit a distribution ROM is freely available on the internet and even elsewhere on GBAtemp. Last I checked the other guides on GBAtemp were simply edited to remove some byte strings that were copy/pasted from the ROM (essentially the same as uploading a piece of the ROM).

It's really pretty questionable as to whether your claim that "it is illegal to even have this ROM cause it is not for sale" is valid too. I have handled and used a "retail" version of these gamecards and there is no copyright notice on the card itself or in the software.

Yes it's unfortunate that somebody did that racist distribution, but that doesn't mean this information has no legitimate uses; so please stop your cries for censorship.

sinbad.the.saile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jran Sakarra said:

The "black" gengar was pretty dumb but the nazi probopass was pretty funny, nintendo really set themselves up for that one, lol
rofl.gif

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Kyohack

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pokecheats.net
XP
Country
United States
Don't take this the wrong way, but, I would appreciate it if you would mention my name somewhere in that guide for the following reasons:

I was the original researcher the European Arceus ROM, and teamed up Julian_89 to create a program to edit all 5 PCDs and all 5 GGIDs, as well as the dates of distribution. The program can be found here: http://pokemonhackingclub.webs.com/apps/fo...-july-16th-2010
I released that program on July 16th, 2010

My research leading to the creation of the program can be found here: http://pokemonhackingclub.webs.com/apps/fo...tribution-roms-
I released that research on June 14th, 2010

I also discovered that the decchi.bin file contained in ALL distribution ROMs is useless, and turned out to be a small Japanese Game Boy Advance demo of the original Pokemon Ranger game. My research for that can be located here: http://pokemonhackingclub.webs.com/apps/fo...stribution-rom-
I released that research on June 19th, 2010

Notice that my research documents were published many months before you modified your original guide to include such information. No offense, but you may also notice that my research documents are more in-depth than yours.

I only wish to receive credit for what research is mine.

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Kyohack said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but, I would appreciate it if you would mention my name somewhere in that guide for the following reasons:

I was the original researcher the European Arceus ROM, and teamed up Julian_89 to create a program to edit all 5 PCDs and all 5 GGIDs, as well as the dates of distribution. The program can be found here: http://pokemonhackingclub.webs.com/apps/fo...-july-16th-2010
I released that program on July 16th, 2010

My research leading to the creation of the program can be found here: http://pokemonhackingclub.webs.com/apps/fo...tribution-roms-
I released that research on June 14th, 2010

I also discovered that the decchi.bin file contained in ALL distribution ROMs is useless, and turned out to be a small Japanese Game Boy Advance demo of the original Pokemon Ranger game. My research for that can be located here: http://pokemonhackingclub.webs.com/apps/fo...stribution-rom-
I released that research on June 19th, 2010

Notice that my research documents were published many months before you modified your original guide to include such information. No offense, but you may also notice that my research documents are more in-depth than yours.

I only wish to receive credit for what research is mine.
I assure you, I didn't copy anything from your guide. Why would I need to do that? The Arceus ROM is one of the easiest, it was way more difficult to find the date limit in the Shaymin and Pichu + Jirachi ones, and the European and Japanese GGIDs when the Deoxys ROM was the only one available (Chamillionaire knows about that)
tongue.gif
As per the used/unused files, I check for them by just doing a search in the code (arm9.bin).
Honestly, the only reason I didn't update the guide before is that I couldn't find the ROM itself
smile.gif

Kyohack

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pokecheats.net
XP
Country
United States
Davi92:
I never said you stole my work. I am just pointing out that some information in your guide was already previously published by me. Can you please include my name in your guide, just like you have included Chamillionaire's name in your guide?

Chamillionaire:
If you change .bin file extension to .GBA, and open it in a GBA emulator, then you will see this:
pokemon20ranger.png

Moderators, please let me know if this image is not allowed.

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Kyohack said:
Davi92:
I never said you stole my work. I am just pointing out that some information in your guide was already previously published by me. Can you please include my name in your guide, just like you have included Chamillionaire's name in your guide?
Done, I also linked to your automatic editor, it's really useful
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...