ROM Hack Pokemon Black (Creepy Pokemon Red Hack)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I found a rom hack for red called pokemon black. I doubt it's the very one since I don't seem to be killing pokemon and it's only some sprite edits, text edits, and the boarder when you play it on lame boy just says pokemon black instead of red.

Lunatics

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4chan may be a complete shit hole full of trolls but I must say, sometimes there's some pretty damn good story tellers on there. Would love to play this.

Kekkon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just going to say, if you're going to do it at least do it right, none of this FireRed version crap.

I don't see why there's a size limit when working on a ROM file, there would only be size limits if you're planning on flashing it to an actual cartridge, and even then there are expanded memory cartridges available, which is why you can get those bootleg 100-in-1 carts.

I don't know much about programming, but as long as the added code interacts correctly with the original code then there shouldn't be any sort of check procedure for file-size, right?

I'm pretty sure I've seen ROM hacks up to double the original size before, but I could be wrong.

Sarvesh50

Aye!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So many pussys on gbatemp.

Also great story.
But its fake.
And it kinda funny to see that some people want to make a hoax real.

And i am also gonna wait for Pokemon Black.
The Gen 5 version......
What kind of bullshit is this if your safe will be delete and the end.

Also i think these hacks are too much for a GB Cartridge....
what does the unow say at 9:00 ????

Good luck with the project many people seems hyped about this....

Personally i think its crap.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sarvesh50 said:
So many pussys on gbatemp.

Also great story.
But its fake.
And it kinda funny to see that some people want to make a hoax real.

And i am also gonna wait for Pokemon Black.
The Gen 5 version......

Also i think these hacks are too much for a GB Cartridge....
what does the unow say at 9:00 ????

Good luck with the project many people seems hyped about this....

Personally i think its crap.
Your opinion is a valued part in this community, and we all thrive upon it.

Please, tell us about other things we should hate because you do, oh great one!

Sarvesh50

Aye!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
its a personal opinion

maybe i will play this a day.....

but i think getting this project finsihed....
Isnt realistic

The story is great

I got a theory why such a cartridge doesnt exist any more.

After your kid got scared to crap the parents smashed it on the floor and destroyed it.

I really doubt this existed but great story...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Sarvesh50 said:
Well, earthbound did it.
http://starmen.net/mother2/gameinfo/antipiracy/
QUOTEAt $C3FDC5 is another checksum routine that goes through $C0A11C-$C0A150. This one is called after (spoiler, but it's at the end of the game before you see the ending). If any data in that range has been changed, the checksum fails, the game deletes all your saved games (seriously) and then it crashes/freezes up. Neat. You can see it in action here:

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kekkon said:
I'm just going to say, if you're going to do it at least do it right, none of this FireRed version crap.

I don't see why there's a size limit when working on a ROM file, there would only be size limits if you're planning on flashing it to an actual cartridge, and even then there are expanded memory cartridges available, which is why you can get those bootleg 100-in-1 carts.

I don't know much about programming, but as long as the added code interacts correctly with the original code then there shouldn't be any sort of check procedure for file-size, right?

I'm pretty sure I've seen ROM hacks up to double the original size before, but I could be wrong.

Just the standard Red's engine can't do anything as the story said it can. I'm part of the team and we are trying not to leak as much as we can. All I can say is when the Standard release is out you'd be surprised how far we went for authenticity.

Reidd (the maker of Lost Silver which is another well known pokemon creepypasta) is working on recreating the engine (which will take months) for the original red for his own release after Lost Silver is done, so if you aren't satisfied with our hack you can move onto his.

And also size of the rom isn't part of the problem, it's the engine.

lars131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK GUYS, i Registrered just to say this
i have seen that cartridge in the blog link BEFORE, its a black cart with only "Pokemon" written on it, for not so many years ago i visited my friend, he had been to America and bought some "fake" Pokemon games, he laughed at the fake titles, and the obvious fake on the cart of the "Black" one.

He got it in a beaten down box and i remember he showing me it. NOW it went like this that when he played the game it was not as described in the story, it was alot weirder, when u started the game up it booted up normally, but when u came into the Oak screen it skipped his speech and just jumped to the name input and all, BUT THE GHOST STARTER IS 100% TRUE!! when you start the game as normal you can get "Bulbasaur, Charmander, GHOST" there is no Squirtle. GHOST has only the move "CURSE" and it does THE SAME THING, it kills off the trainer AND all his Pokemon.

When u comes to the over-world you only see a sprite of a rock (not a tombstone) NOW The thing at the end Hall of fame stuff, I honestly (sadly) dont know, i tought i remembered it but had to edit because i am not sure if my friend told me he even COMPLETED the game, big let down i know but the other GHOST killing stuff, 100% true!

For fun we tried to trade the Pokemon over to a real RED Game, which caused the game to freeze (the red) in the middle of the trade, also i couldn't start a new game or continue on the red afterwards this trade. now that is creepy, i thought, that was the only interaction with BLACK i had, but my friend told me this. My friend moved to another city and who knows where this cartridge lies now? Maybe its broken, or maybe another guy have it. Who Knows
frown.gif

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the guys denying this are either real pussies they won't even consider the story might be real. Or they could be common trolls who think that because it appeared on one site (didn't ORIGINATE there, just appeared there) it's officially tosh.

frankly, i think it is possible such a hack existed. we can't even say for sure that the hacker didn't expand upon the limitations of the original pokemon red, coz the cartridge itself could have been modified to handle the changes in the code. (the people who say they owned a copy didn't open the cartridges and check it's innards, right?)

as for the crazy stories... well, i've been in hospital beds way too much to be creeped out by characters dying in video games, but it certainly highlights the fact that, if you changed one small thing you barely notice in the most innocent of games (like the unspoken rule that nothing dies in pokemon, except for that poor marowak, that is) then it really changes your perspective.

PS
HAPPY FRIDAY THE 13TH, YO!

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
D34DL1N3R said:
How old are the majority of you? Getting scared by any of these stories is absolutely ridiculous.
It's not the story, it's the fact that they could very well exist and are actually getting passed from person to person.

And lars131, pics or it didn't happen. Seriously. If you think we'd believe that without pictures to prove it............

Revolution [9]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how these stories begin with "I had this one game, but then I lost it... but I remember it very clearly!". Odds are, any stories like this are completely false. It originated on fucking 4chan; of course it's fake. And that Pokemon Black cartridge in that article: could have easily been painted and the label scribbled over with some permanent marker.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The chances of it existing are very, very, VERY slim. If it was passed around from person to person to person to person... it would be all over the place and pretty easy to find.

Everyone go play Nanashi no Geemu and forget about this silliness.

lars131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, let me just get a time machine and travel back in time to take a pic of the cartdrige and play it.
rolleyes.gif
This is all about beliving, the thing i said, i have seen the black cartdrige before, in real life, and my friend told me you could catch/have ghost in it, and i took 2 and 2 toghether and mixed it

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
lars131 said:
Okay, let me just get a time machine and travel back in time to take a pic of the cartdrige and play it.
rolleyes.gif
This is all about beliving, the thing i said, i have seen the black cartdrige before, in real life, and my friend told me you could catch/have ghost in it, and i took 2 and 2 toghether and mixed it

Well then, you can prove as much as possible by getting in contact with your mate, showing him this thread and asking for details. Of course, the best proof would be a video of gameplay with the cartridge being inserted, a clear picture of the cartridge and a clear still of gameplay. Assuming you're lying, you can get out of this thread. Assuming your mate is lying, the hack should get continued and not dumped. Assuming it's all true, and the hack is still in his possession, dump the ROM, send it to some hacker, and try and get said hacker to make an IPS patch.

Doesn't seem too hard; we've got enough hackers in here for that
tongue.gif

I'd like to say this is quite an interesting prject the GBATemp community has set itself up for; making a creepypasta true. This is extremely peculiar, and worth mention that I recall reading it on /x/ some time ago. Obviously, it convinces me it's not true, but we might never know if the hack doesn't already exist.

A suggestion I had in mind: Place mortality into the game. Let the player be able to use "Cut" on living things like Pokémon's and NPC's (except important ones maybe). If you'd use it maybe Elite Four, it'd allow you to pass without battle? Same with gym leaders? Of course, I consider that it might kill the creepiness of using GHOST, but should be an alternative if GHOST isn't used, for fun. It gives the player a sort of freedom, perhaps.
Another thing: Instead of having GHOST's CURSE just pop to black, maybe the screen fading (if possible) to black should be done, and perhaps have some sort of attack sound, perhaps made by some user here on GBATemp. The impact of hearing and not seeing what KILLS a Pokémon is deafeningly creepy. It puts the player into thought of what happens.
Final thing: At the end, where the screen turns black; have the Lavender Town music keep on going. It makes itself more apparent that the game has a message of remembering our mortality. Lavender Town will always remind us.
If this ever gets enough publicity, bootlegs should be made, guys. I'm telling you, this'd be a VERY interesting play on a real GameBoy, and not an emulator.

D

Deleted User

We've now ported all 151 sprites into the game from the original Pokemon Red GB ROM Image.

Check it out.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ace Faith said:
If this ever gets enough publicity, bootlegs should be made, guys. I'm telling you, this'd be a VERY interesting play on a real GameBoy, and not an emulator.
NO!

Just get a flash cart. Why should Chinese bootleggers make money off of these guy's hard work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/gnXkwfS got this because it shows v draws also