Hacking Pokemon Bank not working on emunand

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
games that need 7.0 will need time to come out ? since I guess they couldn't change the update they need working in mid development ? or can they?

Reactions: 1 person

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Would it be possible to just change the flag for 7.x keys, if the FW is patched to accept modified files

Or are the 7.x keys actually used to decrypt the game/apps

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
Would it be possible to just change the flag for 7.x keys, if the FW is patched to accept modified files

Or are the 7.x keys actually used to decrypt the game/apps

It's obviously used to decrypt the container, you can't just hope for the NATIVE_FIRM to decrypt content that requires a key it can't access.

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
And now it begins. No flashcard company can do a shit against that. They would need to decap the SoC, which i don't think they will do. The part of the NATIVE_FIRM, which generates the key for that, is in internal memory and therefore not even a RAM dumping setup do a shit here.

Nintendo did his homework this time. As long, as the system is secure against exploits, there is no chance. Currently it doesn't look like there is anything exploitable...

xextil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
And now it begins. No flashcard company can do a shit against that. They would need to decap the SoC, which i don't think they will do. The part of the NATIVE_FIRM, which generates the key for that, is in internal memory and therefore not even a RAM dumping setup do a shit here.

Nintendo did his homework this time. As long, as the system is secure against exploits, there is no chance. Currently it doesn't look like there is anything exploitable...

Why not? They have enough money for that, and if they do it, they could find new exploits and make more money.

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France

Actually, you don't need to dump the generated key from ram, if you can read/write to memory all you need is to gain code execution by patching instructions before the ones that clear the keyslot is executed, then you simply use your own code to generate the key and output it to wherever.

That's assuming you do have a working hardware RAM setup.

Of course it's not as easy as it looks.

Also since you cannot read the initial keyslot set by the bootrom (or the bootrom itself), you will need to keep generating new keys that Nintendo might add through future NATIVE_FIRM.
That doesn't seem much of a showstopper though, assuming you have the right setup to generate one already.

You should keep in mind that as long as you do get ARM9 code execution, you can read/write the content of the internal memory as well and there is code running off the external RAM before NATIVE_FIRM is executed, so it doesn't seem far fetched.

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Actually, you don't need to dump the generated key from ram, if you can read/write to memory all you need is to gain code execution by patching instructions before the ones that clear the keyslot is executed, then you simply use your own code to generate the key and output it to wherever.

That's assuming you do have a working hardware RAM setup.

No, you can do, what you want. You have no access to internal memory and therefore you can not patch anything. The NATIVE_FIRM is running in internal memory. If you have code execution through the RAM haxx, it is already to late.

Why not? They have enough money for that, and if they do it, they could find new exploits and make more money.

^ They don't really care about their customers. I bet they have enough money, so they could run off, if they want.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Given GW's constant delays I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that they won't be able to find a workaround for the aforementioned issue within the month (if ever, according to some of the more negative perspectives), so, for those that care about pokebank and are on emunand, you won't get to use your free month unless you use another 3DS.

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way I can see to get around this problem is for someone to make a CFW (which is far, FAR away). It would need to be based off of 7.X and yet be able to run unsigned code.

Its going to be a LOOOOOONG wait.

That is unless an exploit is found for 7.X+, lol.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
[...] so, for those that care about pokebank and are on emunand, you won't get to use your free month unless you use another 3DS.

or, if someone can confirm that it would work, do the following:

mount the hardware mod;
backup the 4.x realnand;
update realnand to 7.x;
download the pokebank;
transfer the pokes from BW/BW2 to the global link (and I assume we don't need the X/Y cartridge at all to do it);
backup the 7.x realnand for the future;
restore the 4.x realnand;
enter X/Y in emunand and transfer the pokes into the game.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I thought we could do it just with the normal games. I don't know how the pokebank software works, that's the problem.

edit: ok I searched and probably we have to move the pokes from the bank's boxes to the game's ones, so yeah, that method doesn't work...

come onnn pokecheck guyssss!!! >_>

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The only way I can see to get around this problem is for someone to make a CFW (which is far, FAR away). It would need to be based off of 7.X and yet be able to run unsigned code.

Its going to be a LOOOOOONG wait.

That is unless an exploit is found for 7.X+, lol.
And then Nintendo releases 8.x which uses a different key and fixes the exploit :P
Can some one check the us pokebank app now that it's out?
It's almost guaranteed to have the same issue considering it came out after the EU one.
or, if someone can confirm that it would work, do the following:

mount the hardware mod;
backup the 4.x realnand;
update realnand to 7.x;
download the pokebank;
transfer the pokes from BW/BW2 to the global link (and I assume we don't need the X/Y cartridge at all to do it);
backup the 7.x realnand for the future;
restore the 4.x realnand;
enter X/Y in emunand and transfer the pokes into the game.
You would be able to transfer from BW2->Bank yeah, but Bank->XY requires Bank to read the XY save data. If said save data was created with 4.X chances are very high it will read as corrupt on 7.1 realNAND, and even if it doesn't, after you save the save file will be corrupt on 4.X. And then there's the protection that prevents you from messing with save files that may trigger if you restore NAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not sure if that or RC Pro AM was my favorite NES racing game... hmmmm
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I loved the rc pro am games
    @SylverReZ, RC Pro AM was made by Rare, and that explains why I liked it. Just learned the other day about a game I loved that was made by Rare and I was surprised lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was playing need for speed remastered and said to myself this is a nice Forza remaster
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_developed_by_Rare Not all of them are awesome but man the hits on that list.
    Oh snap Super Offroad was by them too? lol damn
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Today I learned that the creators of the Donkey Kong games also made Sea of Thieves
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why do i feel the sudden urge to start singing pirate's scorn from the donkey kong country cartoon?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you being for real, cause that's hard to believe, DK is Nintendo and made in japan, Sea of thieves was from Microsoft, in America. I'm not calling you a liar, just didn't know.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok yes they were both made by Rare, but DK was from Rare back then, Rare now is owned by MS. So makes since.
    +1
    They even developed a LJN game.... lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was pretty rare
    I wonder what deal with Satan LJN worked to get Rare to make that one...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember couple years ago, they announced they were working on a Perfect Dark remake, wonder what ever happen with that?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It went into the darkness
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and buddies used to play the hell out of Perfect Dark on N64, that and Goldeneye, was the first real PvP shooter games I remember
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    4-way split screen on a tiny 19" TV, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you share joysticks also
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh we had the 4 controller add on thingy for n64. Duh I just got your joke, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So you touched ends
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, but being in the boy scouts, they forced us to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chopped down some wood for the scout master
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Big Gay Al was our Scout leader.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Big Gay Al was our Scout leader.