ROM Hack Pokemon B/W Inserting new music

Sonicmfc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm making a pokemon emerald remake out of pokemon black and white and I'm having some trouble with inserting the new music files into the rom, I'm using VGMTRANS and since the game supports "midi" format files I downloaded some music files in midi format (eg.: Emerald Rival battle music) but I don't know how to import the new midi file into VGMtrans in order to replace the old Black/white rival battle midi file.

Anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance.

GuardianSoul

Translator
Trophies
Website
www.guardiansoul.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
It isn't possible to insert your own music using VGMTrans, it only converts .sseq files to .midi's, not the way back.

If you want to insert your own music you will need to use midi2sseq, CrystalTile 2, FL Studio (recommended, you could use the free demo version) and a hex editor. I warn you though; it's a bit tricky to make your own custom music looping.

1) Make sure your midi file has 14 channels or less (edit the file using FL Studio).
2) Go to File -> Export -> MIDI File in FL Studio to export you file as a MIDI.
3) Open the MIDI file you just created using you hex editor.
4) Search for the first "60" byte using CTRL + F.
5) Change that byte to C0, and press CTRL + S.
6) Import the edited MIDI file using FL Studio, the tempo should be twice as fast. This is normal, do not change the tempo.
7) Repeat step three and four.
8) Search for the first "60" byte and change it to "30", and save the file.
9) Drag and drop the edited midi file to the midi2sseq executable, it should create a new .sseq file.
10) Open the newly created .sseq file using your hex editor.
11) Press CTRL + F, enter "FF C0".
12) Replace the C0 byte with C7, and ADD (not replace) a 00 byte behind it.
13) Repeat step 12 and 13 (if your midi file has, for example, 13 channels, you must do these steps 13 times).
14) Save your file and import it using CrystalTile.

Some notes:
- The steps I gave above might seem unnecessary, but they really are because there are some problems with midi2sseq.
- Your edited file must be smaller than the original .sseq file.
- To make your music loop, take a look at this tutorial (tip: VGMTrans could help you for sorting out all the bytes).
- SSEQ's are Sound Sequences, SBNK's are like Sound Fonts.
- For more details I refer you to my guide.

Good luck!
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: