[POC] Yata online: In-Browser Cross-Platform 3DS theme editor

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by exelix11, Jan 13, 2018.

1. exelix11
    OP

exelix11 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    C:\users\exelix11\
    I was testing a tool to compile C# to javascript, so as a test project i decided to make a web app out of Yata, this was rewritten from scratch the only thing left from the original code is the image encoding algorithm, this whole project was made in about 3 days during the Christmas holidays, i thought someone might find it useful.
    Right now is pretty basic, I don't know if I'm going to further develop it (mainly because of lack of time), I guess if enough people are interested I could.

It's really straightforward, you load or create a theme, load the images and then click save.
    If images are not of the right size they will automatically be stretched.
    I tested it on Firefox, Chrome, Edge and Edge on my phone and it works, it's not compatible with Internet explorer idk about other browsers.

[​IMG]

Theme editing screen

You can also save the web page to use it offline
    Link: https://exelix11.github.io/Yata-online/
    Source code: https://github.com/exelix11/Yata-online

2. tranxuanthang

tranxuanthang GBAtemp Regular

Jul 6, 2015
    Nice work! Looks interesting :yay3ds:
    Is the top and bottom screen size are always 512x256, even if scrollable or fixed?

3. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH Don't mind me

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Hell
    Woooooww, just what I needed! I will try this when I get home.
    One question: What audio files does this support? Does it support BCSTM as input files?

4. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    No, the size depends on the frame type, the page was not automatically updated to refect the size, i just pushed the update to fix the issue, reload deleting cache to see the changes (Shift + reload, you should see Ver 1.1)

It doesn't support any audio format, you can only enable or disable bgm with the flag.
    I don't think it's ever going to be able to convert from an to BCSTM due to the limitation of the browsers, i had to optimize a lot the image encoding to make it quick enough.
    Also, this should work from your phone browser as well

Last edited by exelix11, Jan 13, 2018
    tranxuanthang likes this.
  5. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH Don't mind me

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Hell
    Oh, okay, no problem, thanks!
    I will try to manually add the BCSTM file on the theme folder and see if it works

6. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    It will work, the BCSTM is a separate file from the theme, the theme only needs to have it enabled

THEELEMENTKH likes this.
  7. MallowMadness

MallowMadness Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2017
    Philippines
    does it mean that i can make themes using the browser on my phone? nice work to help people who broke their laptop last new years eve :grog:

edit:sorry didnt read the earlier replies .

Last edited by MallowMadness, Jan 14, 2018
    exelix11 likes this.
  8. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    Ofc you'll have to find a way to put the themes on 3DS' sd card, i guess ftp would work

MallowMadness likes this.
  9. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    Looks like there is a bug with MS Edge, when you upload an image if you try to open the same image for another theme element it won't be loaded, as a workaround open another image and then the image you wanted to open, i'll fix this in the next days

10. MallowMadness

MallowMadness Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2017
    Philippines
    ftp works with this .

11. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    Just fixed the Edge bug and another issue when loading some JPEGs, you should see version 1.2 now, if not clear the cache

THEELEMENTKH likes this.