9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
macgeek417 said:
The 6MB version of Star Ocean works great - the emulator has support for the S-DD1
Oh, huh. I'll have to try it...I just assumed it'd be slow or something.
smile.gif
Cool that it works ok.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Does Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together with the English patch work?

If so, I'm buying this thing.

Please say yes!

campbell00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
YayMii said:
campbell00 said:
Can anyone confirm that the games are ALL running on frameskip? I don't see any options to change it, and yet the games run nowhere NEAR as fluid as they should. It's not lag that's doing it...
What do you have your 'CPU frequency' setting on? Because a lot of my games don't have any frameskip (my CPU frequency is set to 4).

Same here and while the frameskip is much less, it is noticable in some cases such as All-Stars. If there are any games that require precise timing to do certain things (such as Mother 3 combos or other games with timed hits) it will be much harder if not impossible. Keep in mind that almost all emulators have input lag even without frameskip (so good luck with Mother 3 combos on any GBA emulator). Until the emulator gets speedhack support I would stick with slower moving games, such as RPGs. On the bright side, except for Star Ocean (and yes, I tried the 12MB uncompressed version) all of my favorites from Japan work fine, including SMT.

Heh, I beat Mother 3 on my PSP. I was a pro at the battle system!

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Covarr said:
Let me give the world a little lesson about SNES aspect ratio:

The SNES renders at a resolution of 256x224. With square pixels, that would be an 8:7 aspect ratio. The only thing is, the games were never meant to have square pixels. The SNES was designed to output to a television, which would display non-square pixels, stretching the games to fit its 4:3 aspect ratio. Game developers knew this, and so all the art, assets, etc in a game was intended to be stretched in this manner.

The DS renders and displays at a resolution of 256x192. It has square pixels, and an aspect ratio of 4:3, same as a TV. A SNES game has to be squished and lose some pixels to display on a DS, but it's the right aspect ratio. Cropping the top and bottom is a LESS accurate image in that regard.

Any questions?

I'm well aware of aspect ratios and TV output.

I was referring to resizing correctly if the DS' resolution does not match the SNES'. So instead of stretching out of aspect ratio, resize to proper SNES aspect ratio and black bar the side. This was before I tried the emulator myself and knew of the DS' resolution.

After trying the emulator, I have to say it's pretty good. I would give it more of a title of .98 beta but it definitely has promise.

Blackthrone runs almost 100%, Super Punch Out the same. The menu and save states are nice and working accordingly. I've had the emulator lock up a couple times on later stages of Blackthrone once I went into the menu.

I'm still not fond of the resizing methods but I guess due to the DS' limitations we can't have a proper resize or full resolution. The cropping does not work but looks the best and the line skip is playable but makes on screen dialog garbled at times.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Rankio said:
Covarr said:
Let me give the world a little lesson about SNES aspect ratio:

The SNES renders at a resolution of 256x224. With square pixels, that would be an 8:7 aspect ratio. The only thing is, the games were never meant to have square pixels. The SNES was designed to output to a television, which would display non-square pixels, stretching the games to fit its 4:3 aspect ratio. Game developers knew this, and so all the art, assets, etc in a game was intended to be stretched in this manner.

The DS renders and displays at a resolution of 256x192. It has square pixels, and an aspect ratio of 4:3, same as a TV. A SNES game has to be squished and lose some pixels to display on a DS, but it's the right aspect ratio. Cropping the top and bottom is a LESS accurate image in that regard.

Any questions?

I'm well aware of aspect ratios and TV output.

I was referring to resizing correctly if the DS' resolution does not match the SNES'. So instead of stretching out of aspect ratio, resize to proper SNES aspect ratio and black bar the side. This was before I tried the emulator myself and knew of the DS' resolution.
I agree. This mode is also available on the SNES Emu for PSP and I'd really like to see this option for the DS too.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when ever i try to select games on the emulator the emulator frieezes is there a fix for that? also i think it freezes cause of a number of roms i put on there how much is the limit?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
dancemb said:
Anyone tried Secret Of Mana yet??

It runs decently. The only problem you'll really see is within non-ring menus. The mode uses a 512x448 pixel resolution that does not interpret well with the emulator. Prior emulators used to have this problem before, so it isn't something new. As far as naming your characters, input goes from A to Z, so you can figure out how to input a name correctly by just going along with your ABCs.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
found my answer and i've tried a some games and they work so far. i have not run into one that gave me problems yet so far so good!! even through i got one problem with it you can't run over the same save stare with the save option is there going be a fix for that and the gba one aslo?

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SpaceJump said:
I agree. This mode is also available on the SNES Emu for PSP and I'd really like to see this option for the DS too.
It's really unfair to compare the PSP to the DS, especially for this case.
The PSP has a more pixels than a screen on the DS. And this is what allows it to scale more properly.

Also, I put together examples for you who want black bars:

Original=the resolution the SNES renders. 8:7 aspect ratio.
TV=the resolution the SNES is intended to play in. 4:3 aspect ratio.
Scaled=Sized to fit the screen. 16:9~ on PSP, 4:3 on DS.
1:1=resolution that matches the original rendering resolution. 8:7 aspect ratio.
Cropped=maintains the same 8:7 resolution, but sides are cut off to accomodate the smaller pixel count.
Aspect Ratio (the mode you want)=scaled as big as the screen can fit, while still maintaining the original 8:7 aspect ratio.[/p]
The first comparison is of the Super Mario World title screen. There's not really any change except for the copyright text.

The second comparison is of EarthBound (this comparison is better). Note the readability of the speech in the top-right corner of each screenshot.

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
as long as we are "has anyone tried" ing.

has anyone tried secret of evermore?
i forget where donkey kong is at.

i probably get my Supercard tommorow, so I'll be back w/ MY impressions.

YayMii said:
SpaceJump said:
It's really unfair to compare the PSP to the DS, especially for this case.
The PSP has a more pixels than a screen on the DS. And this is what allows it to scale more properly.

Also, I put together examples for you who want black bars:

Original=the resolution the SNES renders. 8:7 aspect ratio.
TV=the resolution the SNES is intended to play in. 4:3 aspect ratio.
Scaled=Sized to fit the screen. 16:9~ on PSP, 4:3 on DS.
1:1=resolution that matches the original rendering resolution. 8:7 aspect ratio.
Cropped=maintains the same 8:7 resolution, but sides are cut off to accomodate the smaller pixel count.
Aspect Ratio (the mode you want)=scaled as big as the screen can fit, while still maintaining the original 8:7 aspect ratio.[/p]
The first comparison is of the Super Mario World title screen. There's not really any change except for the copyright text.

The second comparison is of EarthBound (this comparison is better). Note the readability of the speech in the top-right corner of each screenshot.
major props on the compilation man!!! appreciate the hard work. even though, i'm not really anal enough to care about aspect ratio. no hate.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
DJPlace said:
found my answer and i've tried a some games and they work so far. i have not run into one that gave me problems yet so far so good!! even through i got one problem with it you can't run over the same save stare with the save option is there going be a fix for that and the gba one aslo?

I have run into just one. The uncompressed, noSDD1 (12MB) version of Star Ocean. It crashes the emulator requiring a hard power off. Interestingly, the official SNES Test ROM works fine, and the emulator passes all the hardware tests. That's right, even Nintendo's own troubleshooting ROM can't tell the difference.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
I have run into just one. The uncompressed, noSDD1 (12MB) version of Star Ocean. It crashes the emulator requiring a hard power off. Interestingly, the official SNES Test ROM works fine, and the emulator passes all the hardware tests. That's right, even Nintendo's own troubleshooting ROM can't tell the difference.
I haven't played it a LOT yet, but the regular version of Star Ocean seems to work perfectly well, so the anti-SDD1 version not working isn't a huge deal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.