Please help! My 4gb ram won't work anymore!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by mrissaoussama, Dec 31, 2016.

1. mrissaoussama
    OP

mrissaoussama Hiuhbi32

Nov 23, 2015
    Yesterday I was using my pc normally then I shut it down. The day after that I tried to boot my pc but I couldn't. All I heard was 4 beeps. I understood that one of my rams aren't working. I removed one of my two 4 gb rams and it booted. Then I did the same with the other ram and I heard the beeps again. Is there a way to fix this?

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Knocking out the obvious things first, have you tried re-seating the sticks in different slot configurations?

Or maybe reset the BIOS before adding both, so it's at stock settings. That usually works.

Also, is the BIOS fully up to date?

3. mrissaoussama
    OP

mrissaoussama Hiuhbi32

Nov 23, 2015
    Yes i tried reseating them. i don't know how to reset the bios or update it. it was working normally

4. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Resetting BIOS usually means finding the CLR_CMOS jumper and removing the power and battery for a while, however my experience hasn't seen it fix a dead stick of RAM before. If reseating doesn't work, you can try rubbing the contacts with a clean eraser (to get rid of static) but it could be that the RAM died and all you can do is replace it.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Yeah, it's a good thing DDR3 and 4 is cheap, unlike DDR2...

Vulpes Abnocto likes this.
  6. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    the beeping means overheating or short circuit, look closely on the chip if there's i broken/burned/corroded part is the gold plated contacts stil gold... the gold plated contacts is not repairable as far as i know, and the part... hard to do... i don't think it's worth it since if in total you've got 4 gb, that means these are both 2 gb ram... check the excact part number and check online for a 2 gb with same part no... shouldn't be too expensive

7. mrissaoussama
    OP

mrissaoussama Hiuhbi32

Nov 23, 2015
    My pc has 2 4GB ram DDR2. It's hard to find something like that around here

8. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    ddr2 is hard to find anywhere... if an ic look different on the chip that's broken, check if you can read as much info as you can find written on it (use strong light and alcohol to get the text shown... maybe i can vind that ic for you or a replacement... but i don't know for sure if it'll help since some ic's can't be replaced by hand... if it's thru-hole ic it's possible (just desolder it replace it and resolder it), if it's SMD it's possible (you'll need a heater that can heat a small area of air up to 425°C that shold make the solder soft again after a few seconds, use something to push it gently of the chip desolder it replace it and resolder it)...

9. mrissaoussama
    OP

mrissaoussama Hiuhbi32

Nov 23, 2015
    Turns out the ram needed to be not pushed entirely into the slot. the ram slot was the problem. Thanks everyone.