Hacking please help me decide!

kofman13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am new to all of this stuff.
I am about to get my first nintendo handheld. trying to choose between DS lite and 3DS. here are my concerns:
today i could get a used working DS Lite with charger for $60 from someone i know, and a cheap flash card ( not sure which one is best actually).
Or... get a 3DS for $150 and a flash card for that and still play DS roms ( dont know how much flash cart for 3ds is)

NOW...

here are more concerns. if and when there is a kart than can play 3ds roms, will it just be a software upgrade to the current 3ds karts? or a new one? and in terms of how long it takes to develop a real 3ds rom playing cart, does it make sense to buy a 3DS for the DS games and then upgrade cards for 3ds roms later?

or if it is going to take years to get an affordable ( under $100) REAL 3DS rom cart, then i should just pay measly $60 for a DS lite and upgrade to 3ds when there is a kart years later

some advice? THANKs

ALSO then there is the fear of nintendo forcing background FW updates? any updates on that issue?

EDIT: if i am going to hold off for the 3DS for a LONG TIME , should i get a DS lite for $65 or a DSi for $90

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
kofman13 said:
I am new to all of this stuff.
I am about to get my first nintendo handheld. trying to choose between DS lite and 3DS. here are my concerns:
today i could get a used working DS Lite with charger for $60 from someone i know, and a cheap flash card ( not sure which one is best actually).
Or... get a 3DS for $150 and a flash card for that and still play DS roms ( dont know how much flash cart for 3ds is)

NOW...

here are more concerns. if and when there is a kart than can play 3ds roms, will it just be a software upgrade to the current 3ds karts? or a new one? and in terms of how long it takes to develop a real 3ds rom playing cart, does it make sense to buy a 3DS for the DS games and then upgrade cards for 3ds roms later?
There's absolutely no way that a current DS flashcart will be able to play 3ds roms, simply because it lacks power. So if you get a ds flashcart, just stick with the ds games. And also, through firmware updates, the dsi/3ds can block flashcarts. If you're going to get one make sure it supports the 3ds firmware. The dsl doesn't have firmware updates, so if you want to be on the safe side, just get the dsl+flashcart.

or if it is going to take years to get an affordable ( under $100) REAL 3DS rom cart, then i should just pay measly $60 for a DS lite and upgrade to 3ds when there is a kart years later

some advice? THANKs

ALSO then there is the fear of nintendo forcing background FW updates? any updates on that issue?
the forced firmware updates don't affect flashcarts. You can also disable background ones, iirc. The ones that affect flashcarts are the big, manual updates. My little bro has a 3ds and iirc, some retail games contains the big firmware updates with the game and says that "it's required to update in order to play this game"-ish stuff. Be careful if you also want to play retail 3ds games.

EDIT: if i am going to hold off for the 3DS for a LONG TIME , should i get a DS lite for $65 or a DSi for $90
If you want to play retail 3ds games, get a 3ds. If you only want ds games for now and want to be on the safe side, get a dsl. If you're getting a dsi, I'd suggest just getting the 3ds instead.

kofman13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont really care what i play now, just want something. i dont mind getting a 3ds and playing DS games on it while waiting for a real 3ds cart (ds games will run better and look better on better screen?) but if the probability is very low for a 3ds rom playing cart soon or affordable, then i should get a DSL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9p0iK877W4