1. 2,894

Front-page
    426968_GDC20_Thumbnails_1200x600_0.png

Yesterday, Sony announced that they would be canceling their plans for PAX East, due to the ongoing Coronavirus outbreak. Today, the company has announced they will be skipping yet another public event, the Game Developers Conference, due to the same concerns. Not only that, but Facebook Gaming and Oculus have also withdrawn from GDC 2020 because of the virus. PlayStation has entirely pulled out of the event, though Facebook will still make announcements and reveals during GDC, by releasing videos and online Q&A's, instead of live ones, at the event. GDC 2020 will take place from March 16 to March 20.

:arrow: Source

HylianBran and Mr. Looigi like this.
  2. Discussion (25 replies)

3. supergamer368

supergamer368 this isn’t bookworm adventures deluxe

United States
    I doubt they'd skip EVERYTHING over coronavirus fears. I think they're just using it as an excuse to do something of their own.

MadMakuFuuma and IncredulousP like this.
  4. dude1

dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    there goes the hope they'd just wear inflatable costumes so the conferences look like some kind of bizarro world Halloween.

Veho likes this.
  5. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware
    Developer

Micronesia, Federated States of
    Coronavirus is the most convenient call-in card ever devised.

6. SilverWah

SilverWah GG Xrd Rev 2 best game period.

Netherlands
    At this point the excuse itself is a virus.

IncredulousP and zoogie like this.
  7. banjo2

banjo2 little man

United States
    Tomorrow: Sony dissolved over even more Coronavirus fears

IncredulousP likes this.
  8. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    I mean, you don't want to be the company known for spreading this, so i suspect it's got a lot of checks in the "reasons to do this" pile, and it's not just one thing. This virus is pretty nasty, so it'll be interesting to see what other problems it'll cause.

Pipistrele likes this.
  9. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

As a guy who used to work in this industry,these expos are a waste of money.

Theyll soon be phased out

osaka35 and Uiaad like this.
  10. pop13_13

pop13_13 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Slovakia
    Reminds me of the BOFH...

11. diggeloid

diggeloid Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I've heard that about E3 and other consumer shows, but GDC always has useful and interesting stuff for developers. I doubt that one is going anywhere.

Pipistrele likes this.
  12. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

It will eventually, it all depends on if the digital tech guy can convince spending thousands.

Exhibitions are a soon to be dead market, it os a waste of monry because we can already find what we need to know before the event.

Id rather these people see sense and save money and put back into production.

13. diggeloid

diggeloid Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    GDC isn't an exhibition though, it's a conference for networking, attending lectures, presenting research, etc. There's some fluff like award shows, but the main draw is the conference.

Pipistrele likes this.
  14. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp's Resident Bastard

United States
    You and I both know that any money saved is just going to be shoved into some higher-ups' pockets.

15. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    Not gonna lie, seeing so many people on GBATemp prioritizing vidjagame info over well-being of employees isn't a good look on tempers. Occasional xenophobic comments about Chinese people don't help the matters.

osaka35 likes this.
  16. James_

James_ pretty much the only Meowstic on GBAtemp

United Kingdom
    At this point PlayStation won't be at any public events ever again

17. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".
    Former Staff

Croatia
    The coronavirus might be a convenient excuse to cover a lack of stuff to show, but it's true that expos and trade shows are a breeding ground for every disease out there (except STDs LOL NERD JOKE). No better way to spread disease than to cram 50,000 people into one conference room and then have them shake hands and all touch one demo unit you brought to the show. And then take the germs home to their friends and family.

banjo2, FEF1, Flame and 1 other person like this.
  18. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    Wait a damn minute...
    Is Corona Virus in the list of attendees? How the hell did that happen?

I swear, they let anyone and anything in, these days.

19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Uhh... Nah. Sony and Oculus are corporations, from a consumer standpoint they're staffed entirely by robots and exist solely to serve their customers. There's no point in humanising the corporation, GDC is taking place in California, not in the middle of China. You know who hasn't cancelled or rescheduled? The organisers. Clearly the risk isn't as high as you're led to believe, at least at that location. While I agree with @Veho that a conference is the best spot to catch a new and exotic disease for the collection, I simultaneously doubt that this is anything other than a PR stunt along the lines of "look, we're responsible, we care".

Skelletonike likes this.
  20. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    There's a point in humanizing the employees who work at corporations, because not every single one of them is some nasty executive/PR manager who's out for our money - most of them are white collar folks, assistants, backstage workers, security guards, and other kind of employees who are frankly just like you and me, only happen to work for a big company instead of smaller one. I'm not siding myself with any big corporation, and I dislike their shady practices as much as any other guy, but if someone goes into extreme of "screw every Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo worker, they should serve us", then I don't have much respect for those people either.

Same goes for situation with events being canceled. Was it a calculated move on Sony that comes from lucky timing? Probably. Should anyone berate them for going with it? Not really, because in the end result it benefits aforementioned workers, and if that means less videogames for a month or two, then so be it. Well-being of people is more important than videogames in my book.

Last edited by Pipistrele, Feb 21, 2020
  21. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    I don't see it that way at all. As a paying customer I expect the corporation, which ultimately is a collection of all the people that work under its umbrella, from top to bottom, to jump into fire if I find that amusing. I've always been a "consumer first" person, but I can understand where you're coming from. With that said, I can humanise them after work, at work I expect them to perform.

Skelletonike likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlayStation, Coronavirus, further