PlayStation 3 firmware updated to version 4.88

ps3.png

Happy June 2021, would you like to update your PlayStation 3? Today, a new PS3 firmware was pushed out to consoles, bringing the legacy system to official firmware version 4.88. The patch notes listed on the PlayStation website explain that the update merely improves system performance, but there's usually more than meets the eye when it comes to these random updates. Over on the RPCS3 Twitter account, the emulator team says that 4.88 allows the PS3 to have the latest Blu-Ray keys, and also possibly makes some system fixes. That would make the most sense, given that the last time we saw a PS3 update back in December 2020, it was also for that exact reason.

:arrow: Source

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm saying, why are we still bothering with these keys? It might have made sense once upon a time, but it feels so utterly unnecessary now. That's not a fallacy, that's just reality. We've moved on, continuing to push protection on an outdated format seems so pointless in this day and age. If DVDs had such protection I certainly hope we would have reached the point where we recognize that it'd be OK to just completely open up the medium by now.

I'm not saying let's stop releasing the keys, I'm saying push updates to the blu ready players to no longer need keys so we don't need such ridiculous updates to indefinitely keep needing to be released for the small percentage that still prefer to watch media on blu ray.
It's more of a marketing thing. It's part of convincing clients to have their IPs be released on the platform. It doesn't matter if DRM actually works or not, as long as the client is convinced it's protected long enough to make money.

Leen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and just remember they reversed the store closer for ps3 and vita just psp1 is closing. they just aren't putting anything new out on the stores after aug

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like every update in years it's definitely a BluRay keys thing. It won't be able to play newer BluRay (possibly also HD DVD) titles if they don't update it.
If DVDs had such protection I certainly hope we would have reached the point where we recognize that it'd be OK to just completely open up the medium by now.
Pretty sure HD DVDs are encrypted.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,
Reactions: Codemastershock

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty sure HD DVDs are encrypted.

They are, but the PS3 doesn’t play them anyway. The Xbox 360 had an external drive for them. Sony developed Blu-ray and wasn’t going to support the competing standard. PS3s were the cheapest blu-ray players available initially and Sony was losing money on them in an attempt to increase the user base for the format. It worked as that plus some cash to movie studios caused them to support blu ray and abandon hd dvd.

Reactions: zfreeman

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What exactly is a blu-ray key? Seems weird that a media player would need updates for continued proper functionality with the format it was made to play. I mean it's not like we needed to download update files for our old VCRs to keep playing VHSs.

Where have you been the past 15 or so years?

Reactions: Deleted User

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question - will this also cause the super slim to go into a permanent reboot loop? I usually don’t update (WiFi card is dead and only wanted to update when they threatened shutting down the shop), but don’t want them to effectively brick another one of my systems with their “stability patch”.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They are, but the PS3 doesn’t play them anyway. The Xbox 360 had an external drive for them. Sony developed Blu-ray and wasn’t going to support the competing standard. PS3s were the cheapest blu-ray players available initially and Sony was losing money on them in an attempt to increase the user base for the format. It worked as that plus some cash to movie studios caused them to support blu ray and abandon hd dvd.
Ah, didn't know this since I don't actually own any HD DVDs (unless the DVDs in the BluRay DVD combo releases are HD and I just watch the BluRay anyway). I stream most stuff, but I own some anime sets for stuff I can't stream or I'm just a fan of, like the Evangelion Platinum Collection DVD box set, which is obviously standard definition because it's old.

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How annoying, my pal plays fight night champion on there (he's been world champ a couple times so pretty serious) and I just cfw his PS3 a couple weeks back now this..... Better not be any bans or removal of cfw

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I think a huge part of that was Microsoft offering dev mode on the device out of the box. This allowed the scene to build homebrew and even release emulators on the unhacked Xbone. Meaning the only real reason one would want to hack an Xbone is for full blown piracy of modern games. As such I think it was rather smart of Microsoft in this regard to allow dev mode to be accessible to everyone out of the box.

Granted this solution wouldn't work so great for the likes of Nintendo because they have so many older systems that could easily be emulated and likewise, at the least Sony would be concerned that PS1 and PSP games could easily be emulated on their machine. But what does Microsft have to worry about in regard to emulators in dev mode? MSX emulation?

Not only that but also allowing you to install precompiled .appxbundles in dev mode rather than requiring you to compile it yourself on a computer/compiler that has been "married" to the console in question. That is how dev mode on the Roku works, it is locked down so that you can only sideload things that you compiled yourself from source.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft, the Xbox One is so stable its not been hacked yet.

I mean they pretty much created the consumer software market, back in 1975, unlike Nintendo and Sony, the whole concept of Microsoft was soley based around computers and programming

Microsoft learns from past mistakes, unlike Nintendo and Sony, which seems to always be vulnerable to the same types of attacks, except the switch, but it's effectively a rip of the 360 DRM, that's why each console was much harder to exploit

They know how to write good code, and design cost-effective hardware architectures

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a huge part of that was Microsoft offering dev mode on the device out of the box. This allowed the scene to build homebrew and even release emulators on the unhacked Xbone. Meaning the only real reason one would want to hack an Xbone is for full blown piracy of modern games. As such I think it was rather smart of Microsoft in this regard to allow dev mode to be accessible to everyone out of the box.

Granted this solution wouldn't work so great for the likes of Nintendo because they have so many older systems that could easily be emulated and likewise, at the least Sony would be concerned that PS1 and PSP games could easily be emulated on their machine. But what does Microsft have to worry about in regard to emulators in dev mode? MSX emulation?
While you can technically sideload emulators on XBOX ONE dev move mode, you aren't allowed to distribute them through any official channels, so only people in dev mode can use them (dev mode also cost money to access at one point, something like $100 or more). Every time they get hidden in a retail distributed application, they get removed as soon as it leaks that there's an emulator hidden in it.

Codemastershock

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yup, pretty sure Blu-Ray keys is basically it. Good, though! Keep it a useful blu-ray player. Thanks Sony.

The thing is that the new encryption keys are not made by Sony, they are offered by the BD Association. Sony simply packs them into a new update file and done. HD-DVDs on 360 have encryption keys too but since the format was discontinued and there are no new movies being released it doesnt need to update any further (adding the fact that the HD-DVD player on 360 was not as integrated into the system as on the PS3, relying in a separate app because Microsoft didnt want to pay licenses on HD-DVD for every single unit sold, paying the licenses only from those who purchased the external drive and downloaded the app). The last 360 updates (when it had) were far more substantial than ones from PS3 though, adding fixes for some BC games and lifted the 16GB limit on USB drives.

Last edited by Codemastershock,

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
While you can technically sideload emulators on XBOX ONE dev move mode, you aren't allowed to distribute them through any official channels, so only people in dev mode can use them (dev mode also cost money to access at one point, something like $100 or more). Every time they get hidden in a retail distributed application, they get removed as soon as it leaks that there's an emulator hidden in it.
To access Dev Mode, there's a one-time cost of $20.... so I don't know what you are talking about when you say $100.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again