Gaming Pikmin 3 has gone rare!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you were to say you'd want like PS2 and Original Xbox games you could get them without any trouble and for low prices but the thing is that when any game has the Nintendo logo on it it's more than likely bound to be a special case because the quantity wasn't enough and then when someone wants one they'll have to spend some good chunks of money for it.
I would perhaps agree with you if we weren't talking about Pikimin. ;) Not exactly a desired title. :P

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Some if not most Wii U games that have gone up in price aren't really that great and in comparison to the NES carts, they had some pretty terrible which still go for ridiculous prices regardless that the game itself is utter crap.

My niece's been playing Barbie Dreamhouse Party and she seems to like it but it made me laugh as to why there's huge hair brushes, lipsticks and using hair dryers for plastic animals.. they'd melt. lol

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
NES games could be popped out of a studio with just a handful of employees within a month or two, today games are developed over the course of years with staff in the hundreds, of course they're more expensive, they cost much more to make.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
My wind waker HD has been shipped for £25 :D Got pikmin for 30. can shop around and get wonderful 101 for around 22.

The only game which I'm finding hard to get is super mario 3D World. cheapest i can get it is 40.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
My wind waker HD has been shipped for £25 :D Got pikmin for 30. can shop around and get wonderful 101 for around 22.

The only game which I'm finding hard to get is super mario 3D World. cheapest i can get it is 40.

Bummer I was going to sell Wind Waker to you for only £10 but now you don't need it any more... jk. :P

Congrats on getting a copy of WWHD!

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Pikmin 3 was shipped, glyde.com just didn't update their site or the seller didn't. It is in the mailbox at Grandma's house. Will check it tomorrow.

Good price WWHD, i couldn't find it used for more that $5 off Amazons delivered price of $47 so I bought it last night new.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
They do? Which country are they from? The only game with a thick manual like old times is Lego City Undercover because the rest is a pamphlet + Nintendo Club points card or nothing but safety bs.
Man, how could I miss this one? I just went through all my Wii U games. Most of them come with a relatively thick safety manual that's printed in multiple languages. Then there's the quick start guides for the games themselves. Hope this clears up the confusion. :(

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bummer I was going to sell Wind Waker to you for only £10 but now you don't need it any more... jk. :P

Congrats on getting a copy of WWHD!

Thanks man haha. I'm just glad it actually got dispatched. I thought Tescos were going to stall and stall and then refund me. Everywhere else seems to be sold out.

Now Wonderful 101 and Super Mario 3D World and I'm done!

D

Deleted User

Get used to this happening - physical prints of games will become more and more rare in favour of digital distribution. Boxed games will eventually become something only collectors get, limited prints will only become more and more prominent as the generation goes on. If you want a game in box, get it once it's out or you're risking not getting it at all.

Physical media will always prevail when it comes to consoles, big CEO's know this.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Physical media will always prevail when it comes to consoles, big CEO's know this.
Physical distribution is already practically gone in the PC secctor and how exactly is console gaming different than PC gaming aside from the platform? Physical copies will (for the most part) go away and big company CEO's can't wait for that to happen so that their manufacturing and shipping costs melt overnight. If they could have it their way, current gen systems would be Digital Distribution-Only, but there's always going to be a small albeit vocal portion of disc collectors, much like there's a vocal group of CD and vinyl collectors in the music industry. Let's face it - doing your shopping from the comfort of your couch is superior to going on a long trek to the nearest game store for many users, the only boundary right now is the price of digitally-distributed content and that's artificially inflated by game sharing and stores like Gamestop lobbying in vain attempts to remain relevant.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Let's face it - doing your shopping from the comfort of your couch is superior to going on a long trek to the nearest game store for many users, the only boundary right now is the price of digitally-distributed content and that's artificially inflated by game sharing and stores like Gamestop lobbying in vain attempts to remain relevant.

You're forgetting that a large number of retail purchasing happens online nowadays. You're just as comfortable on that couch whether you're ordering from Amazon with overnight shipping to your home or downloading from eShop. The difference is that digital content reaches you faster, but it's still not instant (a full game download can take hours depending on the connection). With a physical disc you have the peace of mind that you can resell/return the game if you don't like it or you complete it. With digital content you currently (and for the foreseeable future) don't have that luxury.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Digital distribution is the future for a very simple reason: it is convenient.

You can argue it's not instant, but what if your nearest game store is 15+ miles away? What if your nearest game store doesn't have the game you want? What if you don't want to wait most of a week for your game to show up in the mail because you chose the lower price in exchange for slower shipping? What if you don't have convenient transportation? What if the store is far enough that the price of gas spent makes your game cost enough that it's no longer worth it?

Digital distribution removes every single one of these roadblocks. You can find the game you want at the retail price you'd be paying anyways, and add it to your console library in a few clicks. Then you may spend four or five hours downloading the title, but you saved money by not physically going to the store and you save time by not waiting on shipping. The only downside is that digital prices don't always match the decline in physical prices, and thus, you end up with a Nintendo situation where their eshop current gen releases will always stay the price the physical item launched at. Steam is probably the only platform that successfully navigates around this issue, and I can only hope that the big three console developers pick up on that and follow a similar pricing model. Discounts on games only really happening during sales on consoles is certainly inconvenient.

The other big issue with digital distribution is that sometimes, like with the Vita, games may become a store exclusive, thus, they are never available for digital purchase, and you are completely confined to physical copies that weren't plentiful to begin with and quickly go up in price as the low stock declines. This one doesn't happen often at least, but as physical game stores continue to decline, I could see situations like that becoming more common so that places like Gamestop can generate more business for themselves.

All in all, digital distribution on consoles is still highly imperfect. PSN is probably the closest we've gotten to something like Steam, and PSN still has a long way to go before it is a truly effective digital distribution platform.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Digital distribution removes every single one of these roadblocks. You can find the game you want at the retail price you'd be paying anyways, and add it to your console library in a few clicks.

If you are in the US.

EU you can expect to get price gouged for that convenience. It's not even, not matching retail price decline, you are getting the shaft from day 1.

You can expect to pay at minimum £15 more for digital copy day 1, that's before retail even starts to drop, then it only gets bigger. Digital is far from the future in EU until they sort out the ridiculous pricing.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Rare concept here... eShop... cheaper than physical copy... redownloadable to any Wii U...

Let's take NBA 2K13 for an instance, on the UK eShop do you know how much it costs? £49.99 that's $78 for you. Watch Dogs is the same price as well as others.

Most Wii U retail games on the UK eShop are overpriced and no one wants to pay absurd amounts of money for games that aren't worth that much or even more due to the fact it's just a digital copy.

D

Deleted User

Physical distribution is already practically gone in the PC secctor and how exactly is console gaming different than PC gaming aside from the platform? Physical copies will (for the most part) go away and big company CEO's can't wait for that to happen so that their manufacturing and shipping costs melt overnight. If they could have it their way, current gen systems would be Digital Distribution-Only, but there's always going to be a small albeit vocal portion of disc collectors, much like there's a vocal group of CD and vinyl collectors in the music industry. Let's face it - doing your shopping from the comfort of your couch is superior to going on a long trek to the nearest game store for many users, the only boundary right now is the price of digitally-distributed content and that's artificially inflated by game sharing and stores like Gamestop lobbying in vain attempts to remain relevant.

PC gaming? PC gaming does not compare to console gaming, it's not direct competition. PC games have always been full of DRM anyway so having a physical disc is pointless plus computers change and so do specs i can't play my copy of fallout 1 on my new windows 7 pc but I can play the steam version. Console gamers like to collect,trade and swap out their games as they see fit who knows but personally the day when the console market is digital only will be the day i'm done with gaming.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
PC gaming? PC gaming does not compare to console gaming, it's not direct competition. PC games have always been full of DRM anyway so having a physical disc is pointless plus computers change and so do specs i can't play my copy of fallout 1 on my new windows 7 pc but I can play the steam version. Console gamers like to collect,trade and swap out their games as they see fit who knows but personally the day when the console market is digital only will be the day i'm done with gaming.
What are you on about, mate? You're arguing that paperback books are better than hardcover books - I've got a newsflash for you, they're all books. PC gaming and console gaming absolutely is in direct competition, it always has been and it especially is today in the age of HTPC's and SteamOS - don't think you're elitist just because your platform of choice is different. There's plenty of PC game collectors, I suggest Googling Lazy Game Reviews for a very good example. Digital distribution will steamroll over physical distribution in the foreseeable future and there's nothing you can do about it, you might as well be done with gaming in advance.

As for your Fallout 1 comment, I have Fallout 1 on CD (because I collect PC games too, ha!) and it works perfectly fine on my PC with no shenanigans involved. If you have problems with old games, I suggest using Dos Box or compatibility mode. You don't have to "re-buy" games, in the vast majority of cases you just have to boot them the right way. Yes, PC's are subject to constant upgrades and compatibility problems might pop up later down the road - guess what, you can't run NES software on a SNES either, so it's the exact same problem. Had you not upgraded, you could play the software just fine.
Let's take NBA 2K13 for an instance, on the UK eShop do you know how much it costs? £49.99 that's $78 for you. Watch Dogs is the same price as well as others.

Most Wii U retail games on the UK eShop are overpriced and no one wants to pay absurd amounts of money for games that aren't worth that much or even more due to the fact it's just a digital copy.
When we're talking about tracking down rare games you have to consider the additional expenses - buying petrol or train/bus tickets, calling around stores, wasting time (for time is money) etc. for some all of this may exceed the $20 price offset anyways.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Traded in 2x Barbie Wii U copies (£4.96) that I bought from Toys R Us for Pac-Man Gostly Adventures (£20 credit for a £20 game) at CeX so now once I acquire Ghostly Adventures 2 and Watch Dogs I'll call it a day.

On Amazon UK Pac-Man's Ghostly Adventures is going for £29.99 or so, similar prices on eBay too.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
You mean like real ones? The real deal?

All I have are some software instructions with 2 pages. The real instructions are only found online. I think I never saw a real WiiU game booklet. :mellow:

Well, Nintendo STILL refuses to localize their OS, games and electronic manuals outside few most major languages, so if you are playing Nintendo games without english knowledge then they basically have to print manual with localization. Simple as that.
All games that I have bought within country has at least few pages explaining controls and story in finnish, with best cases there's more pages and even whole cover is translated. Sad part is that many stores buy games cheaply from all around the europe so many my games are in swedish, spanish, etc. and even though game is identical they never tell you this stuff before buying because they don't have to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended