Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Switxh

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm trying to mod my oled switch, I finished the mod and I'm getting this error *==, then the switch boots into OFW and everything is working fine.
Where do I start on troubleshooting this?
I had this error once. It's something usually associated with a bad connection between the modchip and the dat0 line. Those Hwfly chips make it harder to diagnose because the issue can be between the ribbon ZIF connectors or the ribbons on the board. Or even just a bad board altogether. Check every area between modchip and dat0 point to ensure there is no flux or residue or cold solder joints. If you used dat0 adapter under EMMC it could also be poor connection there.

Viktorsilva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Another Oled Mod i just did today. This time i chose to use my usual drill tip on my dremel :

image5 (2).jpeg

and the result was mutch better them the last one.
image0 (3).jpeg

Solder mask to protect from ground bridges and a bigger solder via to Dat0 :
image4 (2).jpeg

Allways a single Mosfet (irfhs8342 smd) direct to cpu capacitor (dont know way people still chose to install double mosfet) and the result is allways instant boot :

image2 (3).jpeg

Since i started to use the kamikaze mod i dont use the Dat0 adapter anymore. And dont have to remove the motherboard to acess Nand or RST point. Mutch better this way :)

This time i used Picofly rp2040 but chose to use 100hom resistor on Dat0 and CMD point. Still maintaining the 47hom on CLK . Tested to boot on OFW and format system (usually get some errors on performing this action with 47R in OFW) and everything work like a charm :D. Watch the video and check the boot times with this configuration.

If someone needs a Modchip installation Service in Portugal, please send me a PM.

Cheers to all

Attachments

• IMG_5381.MOV
    5.2 MB

harpin14789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please measure the individual points in diode mode. And a few pictures are always very helpful ;)
Thank you for your reply :). It's a messy job I know.
I measured point C (Dat0) and getting 0.755 which is within range.
Point 3v3 is getting 1.030
Point A is getting 0.745
Point D(CLK) is getting zero on the modchip, but on flex cable it's connecting on and off, directly at the soldering joint CLK it's getting about 0.645.
RST is getting ~ 1.8

I think CLK is the problem, it seems soldering correctly, especially since I'm measuring something when I measure at the solder point.

How do I go about fixing this?

Attached some pictures
Post automatically merged:

I had this error once. It's something usually associated with a bad connection between the modchip and the dat0 line. Those Hwfly chips make it harder to diagnose because the issue can be between the ribbon ZIF connectors or the ribbons on the board. Or even just a bad board altogether. Check every area between modchip and dat0 point to ensure there is no flux or residue or cold solder joints. If you used dat0 adapter under EMMC it could also be poor connection there.
See my message with the diode measurements.
I get 0.755 at the dat0 adapter, same thing at point C solder joint on flex cable and same thing at point C gold contact on modchip. That means Dat0/point C is good right?

In my post above, I found that CLK/point D isn't getting any readings on board, maybe that's the issue, not sure on how to go about fixing that

Point A is getting 0.745
Point D(CLK) is getting zero on the modchip, but on flex cable it's connecting on and off, directly at the soldering joint CLK it's getting about 0.645.
RST is getting ~ 1.8

I think CLK is the problem, it seems soldering correctly, especially since I'm measuring something when I measure at the solder point.

Attached some pictures

I get 0.755 at the dat0 adapter, same thing at point C solder joint on flex cable and same thing at point C gold contact on modchip. That means Dat0/point C is good right?

In my post above, I found that CLK/point D isn't getting any readings on board, maybe that's the issue, not sure on how to go about fixing that
Added a video measuring CLK/point d

Attachments

• PXL_20240204_235107564.jpg
    PXL_20240204_235107564.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20240204_235245374.jpg
    PXL_20240204_235245374.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20240204_234030996.jpg
    PXL_20240204_234030996.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240204_234058955.jpg
    PXL_20240204_234058955.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240205_000336447.TS~2.mp4
    37.7 MB
Last edited by harpin14789,

Switxh

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Point A is getting 0.745
RST is getting ~ 1.8

Attached some pictures

Added a video measuring CLK/point d
For a start the connection for the wire to the dat0 adapter is definitely a cold joint. Which can definitely prevent the chip from glitching. Also you should be using solid core wires and not stranded ones. The stranded wires can cause problems with the glitch also.

You could be getting a measurement from the CLK point on the flex because the act of measuring the point applies pressure and makes the connection temporarily. I don't like those flex cables because you can't really see whats going on under them but I would definitely reflow the joint on the dat0 adapter with some flux and same for the CLK point, while applying some light pressure to the flex to make sure it is not going to break the connection as soon as you remove the iron.

Seems there is more than one problem area so start with those, test it out and go from there.

Reactions: harpin14789

harpin14789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a start the connection for the wire to the dat0 adapter is definitely a cold joint. Which can definitely prevent the chip from glitching. Also you should be using solid core wires and not stranded ones. The stranded wires can cause problems with the glitch also.

You could be getting a measurement from the CLK point on the flex because the act of measuring the point applies pressure and makes the connection temporarily. I don't like those flex cables because you can't really see whats going on under them but I would definitely reflow the joint on the dat0 adapter with some flux and same for the CLK point, while applying some light pressure to the flex to make sure it is not going to break the connection as soon as you remove the iron.

Seems there is more than one problem area so start with those, test it out and go from there.
Thanks for the explanation. I'll reflow dat0 but for CLK, I had a thought, can I just run a wire from CLK to point d on modchip instead of soldering to flex cable? Just for the CLK, because I have a suspicion that the CLK links on the flex cable might be bad.

What do you think?

harpin14789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also make direct connections. That's what the individual points on the chip are for (A,B,C,D,3V3,GND).
Flex cables must not be soldered too hot.
Ok, I've refried the CLK and Dat0 points and I detect something in all the pins. Now when I turn on switch, the modchip flashing blue, and nothing is happening, it just keeps flashes blue. What does that mean?

I did it! The mosfet wasn't tucked under shield. Tucked under and I see picofly!! Thanks for the help everyone.

Attachments

• PXL_20240205_052442223.TS.mp4
    4.8 MB
  • PXL_20240205_055401163.jpg
    PXL_20240205_055401163.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20240205_055408033.jpg
    PXL_20240205_055408033.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
Last edited by harpin14789,

MoeXzl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Congratulations. Then I hope that you can also start the OFW properly. If not, you can solder a 100 ohm resistor to the CMD & DAT0 points.

Or an additional 47 ohm resistance.

Last edited by MoeXzl,

psycho-neon

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
i thing i kill my oled board. can someone help with D0 point
Holy smoke! >.< you have to expose dat1 line, it will be difficult but you have to be careful. I suggest if you are doing kamikaze do it with a 0.2mm dremel tip. It is risky doing this job to be honest.

Try to post a photo of it with IPA on the lines to see it clearly which lines are cut or not.

1707152406482.png

Viktorsilva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ok, I've refried the CLK and Dat0 points and I detect something in all the pins. Now when I turn on switch, the modchip flashing blue, and nothing is happening, it just keeps flashes blue. What does that mean?

I did it! The mosfet wasn't tucked under shield. Tucked under and I see picofly!! Thanks for the help everyone.
i was about to tell you that your Mosfet was on the up cpu shield and it needs to be under.I bet it was grounding anywhere. Happy that you already realize it .

harpin14789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was about to tell you that your Mosfet was on the up cpu shield and it needs to be under.I bet it was grounding anywhere. Happy that you already realize it .
It took a couple of tries lol. I could glitch without the CPU shield but failed with shield on. That's when it hit me that mosfets were grounding.

It was surprisingly not as difficult to solder and mod as others made it out to be, just had to take my time and be careful. Having a microscope was the key, I didn't realize how tiny everything was from pics and videos

I'm curious, what made you go kamakazi vs the dat0 adapter, dat0 adapter is much easier and safer

Reactions: impeeza

Viktorsilva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Dat1 via is gone ? At leat it looks like yes. All ready reply to you PM. You can bring your switch to me and maybe i can save it. I advise you not to do anything else. I live next to Parque das Nações .

i did successfully rebuild 2 vias on a nintendo switch oled in a very similar disaster. You can check it on this thread :

https://gbatemp.net/threads/picofly-a-hwfly-switch-modchip.622701/post-10349793

It took a couple of tries lol. I could glitch without the CPU shield but failed with shield on. That's when it hit me that mosfets were grounding.

It was surprisingly not as difficult to solder and mod as others made it out to be, just had to take my time and be careful. Having a microscope was the key, I didn't realize how tiny everything was from pics and videos

I'm curious, what made you go kamakazi vs the dat0 adapter, dat0 adapter is much easier and safer
Dont forget to isolate the cpu solder points with kapton tape. Clean all the area with IPA solution first.

Kamikaze mod is risky but provides a solid connection to Dat0. Yes, you can reball the EMMC and make it solid too, but you will create thermal stress on solder joint and if i can remember problems like RSOD on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 , etc....they all where created by the thermal stress (composition of lead-rich tin with low temperature melt point) even with professional welding done on a factory production line.That´s why i prefer the kamikaze too. Dat0 adapter could bend after some weeks (caused by heat).

Last edited by Viktorsilva,
  • Love
Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol +1