Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

psycho-neon

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Do you know what's the diode reading when dat0 and dat1 are shorted??

How do you guys remove the shield barrier around the nand on oleds?? I normally break it apart carefully, but a lot of time it takes the the ground pads with it, which I absolutely hate.

Shorted dat0/1 reads about 1.1 black probe on ground from my experience

For shield barrier, I usually use mini grinder to cut it. Another thing is to use a very sharp pointed cutter and cut into small pieces.

Last edited by psycho-neon,

Phantomas77

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
2. Mix low melt solder on pads of mainboard and chip then wick off. I find it helps remove all the solder from the pads.
Why are you using low melt? Could it still leave traces after cleaning and cause future damage after mix with Sn63/Pb37?

I'm no reball expert, but here's how I approach it: after detaching the eMMC, I apply directly (a good amount) of Sn63/Pb37 paste on top of PCB and eMMC surface, mix it well through all the points with solder iron, and then wick-off everything. That way I can ensure that whatever is still left on top of the contacts, it should mostly be Sn63/Pb37 that I'll use in the next step for eMMC reballing with stencil.

Would like to hear how the experienced guys are handeling this step

karatefeet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why are you using low melt? Could it still leave traces after cleaning and cause future damage after mix with Sn63/Pb37?

I'm no reball expert, but here's how I approach it: after detaching the eMMC, I apply directly (a good amount) of Sn63/Pb37 paste on top of PCB and eMMC surface, mix it well through all the points with solder iron, and then wick-off everything. That way I can ensure that whatever is still left on top of the contacts, it should mostly be Sn63/Pb37 that I'll use in the next step for eMMC reballing with stencil.

Would like to hear how the experienced guys are handeling this step
I like this approach better and will try this. I was using the low melt as I found it helped to wick away the old solder more cleanly but you're right about the mixing with sn63/pb37. Thank you.

Reactions: Phantomas77

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
Mechanic 138* solder. Same stuff I apply to the USB port anchor holes before wicking them clean.

Aha, I think this explains your problem. It consists of 50% bismuth, and solder with traces of both bismuth and lead mixed in becomes unstable. You can either switch to a bismuth-based paste, or to a leaded solder wire for preconditioning the balls... or just use the paste for that too.

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
Aha, I think this explains your problem. It consists of 50% bismuth, and solder with traces of both bismuth and lead mixed in becomes unstable. You can either switch to a bismuth-based paste, or to a leaded solder wire for preconditioning the balls... or just use the paste for that too.
Bismuth+ Pb/lead become extreme low melt join, solder joint liquefied less than 100C

karatefeet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah thank you for that info, I had no idea. Will stop using the low melt.
Post automatically merged:

Bismuth+ Pb/lead become extreme low melt join, solder joint liquefied less than 100C
Thank you for this info!

superxoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Weird. I have been using this chinese low melt (even doesn't have a brand) for all my bga reballing even on SoCs . It helps me wick off the residual leadfree quickly and clearly before applying 63/37 solder paste. But i haven't had any issue yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20240112_073205.jpg
    IMG_20240112_073205.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
Weird. I have been using this chinese low melt (even doesn't have a brand) for all my bga reballing even on SoCs . It helps me wick off the residual leadfree quickly and clearly before applying 63/37 solder paste. But i haven't had any issue yet.

perhaps your solder wick is better and gets rid of almost all of the bismuth residue... there are many variables

Reactions: superxoi

eddz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Do you know what's the diode reading when dat0 and dat1 are shorted??

How do you guys remove the shield barrier around the nand on oleds?? I normally break it apart carefully, but a lot of time it takes the the ground pads with it, which I absolutely hate.
I just jimmy it back and forth until it fatigues the metal and breaks off on its own. Don't pull up (away from the board) at all whilst doing this. It might take a few back-and-forths.

My 8th kamikaze. 😄 im loving this method more than anything else right now. Gives me thrill and challenge. 🎉
So envious. I've put in an order for a grinder from AliExpress to try this method out.

ThiagoDaruma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hi guys, i saw in the guide that there are new points for installing the mosfet, without removing the APU cover. are they reliable? i'm thinking of testing on an oled and a lite today.

superxoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
perhaps your solder wick is better and gets rid of almost all of the bismuth residue... there are many variables
Yes. I always double check the surface making sure all the pins are being flattened before applying new solder paste.

hi guys, i saw in the guide that there are new points for installing the mosfet, without removing the APU cover. are they reliable? i'm thinking of testing on an oled and a lite today.
if you are not comfortable with the front one then you can do it at the back one. recently i always do back mosfet because my new mosfet is a big fat boy instead of the tiny irh8342. but i find that the big boy is more reliable(has not had any faulty) than the tiny one.

Last edited by superxoi,

ThiagoDaruma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes. I always double check the surface making sure all the pins are being flattened before applying new solder paste.

if you are not comfortable with the front one then you can do it at the back one. recently i always do back mosfet because my new mosfet is a big fat boy instead of the tiny irh8342. but i find that the big boy is more reliable(has not had any faulty) than the tiny one.
I don't have a problem with doing it on the front. but if I can do it without cutting the Apu shield and without leaving the mosfet inside, it seems safer to me, or am I wrong? I think I'm going to test this new method, I found it very interesting, I would just like to know if anyone has already done the possible cons of this method

bvang913

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only recently started modding, but every install I've done was on the back. And they've all worked, normal switches, lites, and OLED.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries