Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Endracion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought from that exact store you linked, they seem legit. Here's how they look like:

Dee's advice is solid though, this is the last time I'm buying these adaptors, I've ordered a full emmc reballing kit and I'm doing it the right way.
So they just sent me shit basically, that's not cool, I was expecting the above adapters too :(
Unless you meant the hwfly one.

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So they just sent me shit basically, that's not cool, I was expecting the above adapters too :(
Unless you meant the hwfly one.
Sadly that's what they do ,don't really care the only thing they care about is the money u send them.
That's why I'm saying get into reballling ull be way happier then before and install the mods properly

Reactions: FreeLander

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my WS2812B-2020's came in finally, and I got a chance to crack open my right joycon to finish the LED mod. It works grand! Currently putting @abal1000x's rear-mounted Mosfet diagrams and @vulp_vibes LED mod diagrams in the next revision of the guide. Should be dropping it here in just a few, just wanted to share a few sneak peek photos and the video proof the working Joycon LED mod.

IMG_20230331_234638.jpg

IMG_20230701_141454.jpg

IMG_20230723_123708.jpg

IMG_20230723_123810.jpg

Post automatically merged:

Update V.6.3 to the Definitive Guide is now live.

Last edited by lightninjay,

vulp_vibes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my WS2812B-2020's came in finally, and I got a chance to crack open my right joycon to finish the LED mod. It works grand! Currently putting @abal1000x's rear-mounted Mosfet diagrams and @vulp_vibes LED mod diagrams in the next revision of the guide. Should be dropping it here in just a few, just wanted to share a few sneak peek photos and the video proof the working Joycon LED mod.
ah, thank you for adding my led mod to the guide, but the issue with the joy-con intermittently not being detected in handheld mode for the non-lite install was never resolved, and as such I would ask that instructions for only the lite install be provided

MrNatto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Help - I’ve had no problem with my picofly’d lite for months. Today I rebooted the console and the screen stays black. The console is charged, the rp2040 goes blue to green, but nothing shows on the screen. What do I do?

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
Help - I’ve had no problem with my picofly’d lite for months. Today I rebooted the console and the screen stays black. The console is charged, the rp2040 goes blue to green, but nothing shows on the screen. What do I do?

start by removing sd card and see if you get the "no sd" screen

Reactions: Switxh

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
dat0 adapter.
thats gonna be ur issue there i would say, homestly try to start doing reballing the risk is pretty much 0 that u run into issue with that.

all the shitty dat0 adapters flowing around these days is cancer, u kann even order the ones that look good on the picture and then u get trash ones

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
thats gonna be ur issue there i would say, homestly try to start doing reballing the risk is pretty much 0 that u run into issue with that.

all the shitty dat0 adapters flowing around these days is cancer, u kann even order the ones that look good on the picture and then u get trash ones
The risk of killing the eMMC from shock is far greater than any harm DAT0 adapter would do. At least the harm the adapter would do can be mitigated. The harm you do with a heat gun is irreversible.

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
why is everybody talking about destroying the emmy with heat , if u do it correct there is no risk at all. as long as u dont trow 500°c on it u are fine.
if u know what u are doing there is now risk. how do u u think these chips get mounted?

MrNatto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
start by removing sd card and see if you get the "no sd" screen
Ok. I just tried removing the sd card. I power on, rp2040 glitches to blue, then green, but I still only get a black screen. I hold down the power button for 30 seconds after to make sure it’s powered off.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
why is everybody talking about destroying the emmy with heat , if u do it correct there is no risk at all. as long as u dont trow 500°c on it u are fine.
if u know what u are doing there is now risk. how do u u think these chips get mounted?
For me that's not an issue, I just refuse to spend extra time to get paid the same amount for the service, that's basically it. I'm fine with 1-2% returns for rework.

Ok. I just tried removing the sd card. I power on, rp2040 glitches to blue, then green, but I still only get a black screen. I hold down the power button for 30 seconds after to make sure it’s powered off.
Sounds to me you have a burned backlight unless your chip is acting up.

RedFawkes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
finally did one of these RP2040 installs; good learning experience after several years since my last SAMD21 install. went with a seeed xiao RP2040, dual mosfet. relocated the status LED to the front of the board where the (nearly) unused home button LED was, so it can act as an external status indicator. boot times seem good. quite pleased

edit: I have posted wiring diagrams for both the lite and normal switch for this status LED mod. feel free to let me know if you try it out

View attachment 379924 View attachment 379925

View attachment 379927
I love this!!!!

Reminds me of when we added HDD activity LEDs to the original Xbox 😍

Reactions: vulp_vibes

MrNatto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me that's not an issue, I just refuse to spend extra time to get paid the same amount for the service, that's basically it. I'm fine with 1-2% returns for rework.

Which chip would be acting up? The rp2040 is flashing blue to green, are you talking about a chip on the motherboard?

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The return that you get with dat0 adaptor is customers complaining about OFW booting, right? How do you resolve it? Just solder another?

I also got very curious when you said dat0 risk can be mitigated, how If I may ask?

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
The return that you get with dat0 adaptor is customers complaining about OFW booting, right? How do you resolve it? Just solder another?

I also got very curious when you said dat0 risk can be mitigated, how If I may ask?
Yep, I only replaced the adapters. I had one customer return a switch that I worked on more than 3 months ago. It had the Hwfly chip before RP2040 became common. The thing I noticed which I believe caused the issue was the flux that sat underneath the chip. I'm guessing the combination of moisture and this Amtech NC-559 I've used was the main cause of the problem. I've changed to 213 for easier clean but I still think having residue left can cause problems in this region, especially underneath the chips where its impossible to wipe without dropping it in an ultrasonic. I've replaced the adapter and the devices were back and running.

My only advice to you when using these adapters is to NEVER use any type of jelly flux near the eMMC. Wire and clean it before slipping it under the chip. For the anchors use those no-clean flux that leave no residue. You're going to thank me for this.

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I only replaced the adapters. I had one customer return a switch that I worked on more than 3 months ago. It had the Hwfly chip before RP2040 became common. The thing I noticed which I believe caused the issue was the flux that sat underneath the chip. I'm guessing the combination of moisture and this Amtech NC-559 I've used was the main cause of the problem. I've changed to 213 for easier clean but I still think having residue left can cause problems in this region, especially underneath the chips where its impossible to wipe without dropping it in an ultrasonic. I've replaced the adapter and the devices were back and running.

My only advice to you when using these adapters is to NEVER use any type of jelly flux near the eMMC. Wire and clean it before slipping it under the chip. For the anchors use those no-clean flux that leave no residue. You're going to thank me for this.
Thank you brother for the professional advice. My flux is as jellish as it gets.

My return rate has been crazy lately with OLEDs, this is how I do it:
1/Put solder mask on the two circular pads.
2/clean with IPA
3/Slip the adaptor and push it as far to the right as possible (trying to avoid dat1).
4/Measure, fix the two points above and the third pad next to the resistor.
5/ wire it, clean flux.

I'm going to do what you advised going forward. Wiring before slipping.

if you removed the Emmc and soldered CMD, CLK, and DAT0 all at once, and combined that with the back MOSFET method. This means you won't even touch the APU. wouldn't you say this actually saves time?

Last edited by FreeLander,

superxoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
my 1st picofly but looks a bit messy but it works nonetheless. thank you all. maybe i will try oled for another day.

Attachments

• 20230726_163047.mp4
    21.8 MB
  • 20230726_155803.jpg
    20230726_155803.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 20230726_155749.jpg
    20230726_155749.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 31

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat