Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
I always use the single mosfet but IRF8342 didn't work if placed as a single. But others I tested like the AON7506 it always work as a single mosfet without SDA and SCL. That why I switched to single IRF8342 with SDA SCL wires, and the AON7506 as a single mosfet without SDA SCL wires.

Reason: Placing two mosfet and soldering is not easy. But placing one with SDA SCL wires or I just use the stronger one like AON if I have them around.

This is weird. I've done about 20 switches, all with single irf8342 to single cap and none of them needed sda/scl. got any install pics to share?

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

Attachments

• 2kdo7u.jpg
    2kdo7u.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 31

bilalhassan341

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is weird. I've done about 20 switches, all with single irf8342 to single cap and none of them needed sda/scl. got any install pics to share?
I think I have a bad batch of mosfets.
Post automatically merged:

Oh F*$& sake, not you too!
Sorry the mistake.:gun:

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 41

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(v2.74 + 300 mhz precision rp2040 may be not stable at 300mhz.from @rehius post)

Edit: I think the rp2040 is not stable that's why switch boots to OFW if the glitch didn't work.
Great. So this is a hardware issue, the code is solid. What do you think is the most stable programmer device?

Me too. I just recently switched to a single MOSFET IR, It Works great.

Takezo-San

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
Quick question. Has anyone recently had further experience with irf8736? Just got one, it's a chunky boy and I will fit a 1k pull down in the install but will have to trim the shield bridge but wanted to know any more info on people's experience with it.

And, does the aon7506 fit snug near the soc with out any need for trimming the metal seperating the ram and soc bit?

What do you recommend from an install and performance perspective between these two, seemingly, champ mosfets.

Appreciate it 👍🏻

Flaviocarvalho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The switch lite saga continues...after got bsod tought it was emmc...so installed the pico to load hekate and analyse the emmc... installed and got no sd screen (happy). But when i put the sd card with the files...the switch just get black screen....if i remove get a purple screen with some letters...any tip on what to do?

The switch lite saga continues...after got bsod tought it was emmc...so installed the pico to load hekate and analyse the emmc... installed and got no sd screen (happy). But when i put the sd card with the files...the switch just get black screen....if i remove get a purple screen with some letters...any tip on what to do?
Aparently it cant load hekate...

tsukimaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nicaragua

Aparently it cant load hekate...
you're S.O.L at this point. That's a blue screen of death. As soon as you remove the chip it'll show the BSOD.

All 6 switches I did with that issue are donors now

• Haha
Reactions: cgtchy0412

cgtchy0412

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hello. What is the first thing that comes to a Switch modder's mind when, after a couple of days of modding a Switch, one day you turn it on and it's Nintendo;'s logo, opening OFW like no modding ever happened?
DAT0 disconnected...
you can try yourself to install pico and not wiring dat0, it wil boot to ofw.

vulp_vibes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
finally did one of these RP2040 installs; good learning experience after several years since my last SAMD21 install. went with a seeed xiao RP2040, dual mosfet. relocated the status LED to the front of the board where the (nearly) unused home button LED was, so it can act as an external status indicator. boot times seem good. quite pleased

edit: I have posted wiring diagrams for both the lite and normal switch for this status LED mod. feel free to let me know if you try it out

PXL_20230626_001107164.jpg
PXL_20230625_175926578.jpg

Last edited by vulp_vibes,

cgtchy0412

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Quick question. Has anyone recently had further experience with irf8736? Just got one, it's a chunky boy and I will fit a 1k pull down in the install but will have to trim the shield bridge but wanted to know any more info on people's experience with it.

And, does the aon7506 fit snug near the soc with out any need for trimming the metal seperating the ram and soc bit?

What do you recommend from an install and performance perspective between these two, seemingly, champ mosfets.

Appreciate it 👍🏻
If it is facedown then cannot install without cutting shield bridge. But if somehow you can isolate some part of mosfet Drain with kapton then you can do without cutting shield.
For pulldown resistor even with 10K sometime(sometime) it will give longer glitch or even failed. So i leave it for now, until i can find higher r value.
Go with this one if you can. The best so far.
1687744195713.png

finally did one of these RP2040 installs; good learning experience after several years since my last SAMD21 install. went with a seeed xiao RP2040, dual mosfet. relocated the status LED to the front of the board where the (nearly) unused home button LED was, so it can act as an external status indicator. boot times seem good. quite pleased

View attachment 379924 View attachment 379925

View attachment 379927
Wow .. nice job.. will try to move the led to this also.. but i dont know if i want to diaseemmble the whole board just to install the led, considering all those flexs and connectors.
Btw where is the original home button led?

Last edited by cgtchy0412,

vulp_vibes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow .. nice job.. will try to move the led to this also.. but i dont know if i want to diaseemmble the whole board just to install the led.
Btw where is the original home button led?

I completely removed the home button LED; it was originally on the two pads on the right side of where the RP2040's status LED is now. the top pad is constant 3.3V, which is convenient as the status LED needs that as well. the bottom pad is a switched ground to control the original home button LED; I repurposed this to break out and connect the data line of the status LED. I then manually ran a ground wire directly to the status LED. in the extremely unlikely event that nintendo further utilizes the notification feature and the home button LED "turns on" with my status LED in place, no ill should happen, as it would only be grounding the data in pin while the status LED is not in use.

RatchetRussian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a new successful installs since I last posted but now I'm running into an issue again :(

I am getting the ** (RST not connected error) on a switch lite.

Maybe coincidentally, this is the first time I'm trying an installation without MOSFETs. I am using a cheap flex cable from AliExpress.

I understand the ** error appears when the voltage from RST is not 1.6v. The issue is I have a good connection to RST but the voltage is too low. I measure 0.9v from RST when I turn the system on.

Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Please also label emmc type and wiring od
I kind of lazy to open the shield. Might update it, when have a chance.
My body sick lately, will play on software right now, than hardware.

I had a new successful installs since I last posted but now I'm running into an issue again :(

I am getting the ** (RST not connected error) on a switch lite.

Maybe coincidentally, this is the first time I'm trying an installation without MOSFETs. I am using a cheap flex cable from AliExpress.

I understand the ** error appears when the voltage from RST is not 1.6v. The issue is I have a good connection to RST but the voltage is too low. I measure 0.9v from RST when I turn the system on.

Any advice?
0.9v is too low, theres might be some short circuit somewhere.
If 1.8 is considered high bit than half of it 0.9 is considered low bit.

Are you sure with that RST voltage (0.9v) everything works normally? Such that OFW working normally, reboot normally, etc.

RatchetRussian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of lazy to open the shield. Might update it, when have a chance.
My body sick lately, will play on software right now, than hardware.

0.9v is too low, theres might be some short circuit somewhere.
If 1.8 is considered high bit than half of it 0.9 is considered low bit.

Are you sure with that RST voltage (0.9v) everything works normally? Such that OFW working normally, reboot normally, etc.

No, OFW is not working. Im not sure where to begin diagnosing the short. Could the cheap flex CPU cable cause this somehow?

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
No, OFW is not working. Im not sure where to begin diagnosing the short. Could the cheap flex CPU cable cause this somehow?
i've never heard someone have problem with cpu flex cable.

The common problem is usually short circuit.
Theres lot of thing you might check, for example on picofly board.
1. Check resistance between 'cpu pin' on pico with GND.
If its around 20-60 ohms its okay, if its around 0-5ohms, its shorted.
2. Check continuity between RST and other pin. Do the same thing on CLK, CMD, Dat0.
3. Use microscope and examine the board, especially the place that you modded. Search for something that looks shorted, or something that might ripped.

Reactions: RatchetRussian

cgtchy0412

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Ah yeah, you're right. I forgot about that.
Actually the emmc brand should not have any effect, they are following industry standart afterall.
I cannot image that big N need to tune the firmware somehow to compensate the difference,, it wil only say you follow or you out, but this also unnecessary, because we are talking about big global memory vendor here.

For difference in initial training then it should only come down from the Random Array function when preparing first glitch .. as it is random then it can take any time, from short to long time depending on the result of the randomize function.

BlueBeans

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we see a pic of your single mosfets? I can’t get a single to work to save my life lol

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Actually the emmc brand should not have any effect, they are following industry standart afterall.
I cannot image that big N need to tune the firmware somehow to compensate the difference,, it wil only say you follow or you out, but this also unnecessary, because we are talking about big global memory vendor here.
Thats also what i always talking is.
The datasheet is so clear, that all number is similar.

But who knows, i know some manufacture tampering the datasheet. Its "common practice". Someone who have work on this field, understand what i am talking about. Especially when the manufacturer is not famous.

Also people saying toshiba this, toshiba that. But still i dont find a solid prove that toshiba did have issue on emmc. As a researcher, i don't discarded this info, but noted it.

For difference in initial training then it should only come down from the Random Array function when preparing first glitch .. as it is random then it can take any time, from short to long time depending on the result of the randomize function.
Thats the initial stage. To make the search of the offset faster, make it random. But after the offset found, it will be recorded. And the next boot will use from the recorded first.

Every successfull glitched, the offset will be recorded. It will save the count number the glitched offset success.

For example:
10000: 10 success
10010: 4 success

The algorithm will take the most success first, then the others.
And the record will be "locked" when theres offset that has been hit the 'maximum' success which is 2048 success.

I also consider to make the picofly repeatedly reboot until it got maxiumum success programatically.

The algorithm is already good. The improvement might be the OFFSET_DIV change to 1, but it will be slower than using 10.

I also see in the code for every glitch, the offset will be shifted a little bit by a random number. I might remove this code. I once made a government simulation about oil spill. And this random stuff usually forbidden to be used. Since it make the simulation not repeatable. Its less scientific.

Can we see a pic of your single mosfets? I can’t get a single to work to save my life lol
I suspect that your solder joint on the cap is not enough.
The maximum current will be clamped by how much is the joint could deliver the current.

Reactions: cgtchy0412

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn