Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also for the record, I’ve had a nice long chat with Rehius. His firmware is not for sale, nor will it be for sale by him or anyone else. Can we please stop that speculation about him selling his firmware? That is not his intent nor was it ever his intent. Like me, he did this just to see if he could.

Edit to add: he did not ask me to bring this up. But he mentioned that everyone wants him to just “give it away”. And he would be fine with that. Just one problem. Ninjas. Same thing I’m worried about. The damn ninjas.
Anonymous distribution. Someone (clearly not him or you but some hypothetical other person) just needs to get the working source code online once, through as many proxies as it takes to feel safe, and the ninjas will never be able to take it down for good.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anonymous distribution. Someone (clearly not him or you but some hypothetical other person) just needs to get the working source code online once, through as many proxies as it takes to feel safe, and the ninjas will never be able to take it down for good.
I had the same thought. But we aren't worried about the source being taken down. We are more worried about ending up like Gary Bowser.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
I had the same thought. But we aren't worried about the source being taken down. We are more worried about ending up like Gary Bowser.
The reason he got in jail is because money was involved. They can't do anything but send you a C&D for open source code. It's a different story when you sell the firmware and/or preloaded modchips. Then they will sue you for the damages.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah nobody wants to end up named after a serial princess kidnapper (or in prison I guess), but that's what the anonymity part is for. I understand worrying about it, but it's 100% possible to get stuff online without it being traced back to you, it's not even that hard.

Jafece

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ninja's can't go after you just for making software that allows homebrew. They can only go after you if you distribute their property do things like including sig patches or make hardware. If they could go after software, spacecraft-nx, hwfly-nx githubs would be gone and so would atmosphere. Don't include anything illegal in the software and your fine.

evil_santa

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Also for the record, I’ve had a nice long chat with Rehius. His firmware is not for sale, nor will it be for sale by him or anyone else. Can we please stop that speculation about him selling his firmware? That is not his intent nor was it ever his intent. Like me, he did this just to see if he could.

Edit to add: he did not ask me to bring this up. But he mentioned that everyone wants him to just “give it away”. And he would be fine with that. Just one problem. Ninjas. Same thing I’m worried about. The damn ninjas.
I had the same feeling from him.
A good guy who just wanted to know if he could do it. and he protects himself from the ninjas by not allowing atmosphere to start.

Reactions: binkinator

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do you, but I have a family, house, job, and many other reasons to NOT be in prison. I've done jail time for simple driving intoxicated when I was younger. That was enough to let me know that I do NOT want to do any kind of actual time in penitentiary.

So we continue being very careful. I'd rather be cautious than locked up.

rehius

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
to get to the dat0 switch oled point i need to have flex hwfly?
either special DAT0 adapter (unstable), or eMMC chip reballing.

well, there is also a drilling method, but you will probably kill the PCB
bore1.jpg

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could probably do that drilling method. I’ve got a Dremel mounted into a stand that lets me mill down with sub-millimeter accuracy. I usually use it for intricate plastic work, but with my microscope I bet I could get that done. :)

duyluu123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Are there any video tutorial for soldering stuff with pico? I'm aware that there're some pictures but I'm not an expert so I still need a video guide anyway, thanks.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any video tutorial for soldering stuff with pico? I'm aware that there're some pictures but I'm not an expert so I still need a video guide anyway, thanks.
highly unlikely there are videos for something this straightforward. Maybe later in the game? Take a look at page 34 and ask any questions you might have afterwards.

Reactions: impeeza

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haha nice adventure u had there i like it Xd

thank u very much
sometimes the failures are just as relevant as the successes.

If you do put one together I would steal a bit of @rehius’s solder work…a straight bar across the bottom and top of the caps.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/pikofly-a-probably-fake-hwfly-modchips-or-not.622701/post-10103574

Hang the mosfet off to the side and on the other end put some nice fat pads to solder to the chip and you’ll have a winner. :-)

Reactions: impeeza and Dee87

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
either special DAT0 adapter (unstable), or eMMC chip reballing.

well, there is also a drilling method, but you will probably kill the PCB
Drilling?! Thats actually super cool to see. I havn't heard of people drilling into PCBs since the xbox 360 days when you had to drill a hole to unlock the DVD Drive for flashing

XzX2abh.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ...