Physical version of Wolfenstein: Youngblood for the Nintendo Switch may not include game cart

19478cd2-6938-4835-94f1-83452cdde364.jpeg

Wolfenstein: Youngblood's summer launch is approaching, and soon players will be able to experience the latest in Id Software's Nazi-slaying series. Unfortunately for those that might have been interested in adding the game to their physical collections, it appears that the Switch version will not ship with a game cartridge. Updated retailer listings on both GameStop and Amazon show that Panic Button's port will just include "a code packed in a box, with a required download", rather than a standard cart. This detail has yet to be confirmed by Bethesda or Id Software, though we do know for a fact that the European release of the game's standard edition will be digital only on all platforms. Wolfenstein: Youngblood releases on July 26th for PlayStation 4, PC, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

• MURDER, THEY WROTE - Team up with a friend or play alone with an AI companion in the first modern co-op Wolfenstein adventure.
  • ESCAPE FROM PARIS - Wolfenstein: Youngblood features the most open-ended Wolfenstein experience to date. From a new base of operations located deep in the heart of the Paris catacombs, plan how and when to attack and dismantle the Nazi regime
  • SWEATIN' THE 80S- The wonder years, these are not. Featuring harrowing takes on iconic Parisian landmarks to graffiti-tagged streets, leather-clad Nazis, and an all-new soundtrack inspired by the synth heavy tones of classic 80s action films.
  • LOCK AND LOAD - Wield the latest advancements in power armor tech, weaponry, and armor to stamp out Nazi scum. Level up, explore, and complete missions to unlock new abilities, weapon attachments, gadgets, cosmetics, and more to complement your playstyle.
  • Contains digital download code. No cartridge included

:arrow: Source

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What's scummy about it if you know what you're buying? You don't *have* to buy the game. If you don't like digital purchases, the best thing you can do is vote with your wallet.
fortnight had the cover saying what it had inside since day one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fortnite-Freeze-Bundle-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07J5MHMNH

as of this day they dont show anything on the cover that states it needs internet or if it has no cartridge, heck if amazon hasnt listed on the bottom that its a code in a box you wouldn't have known until it got in your hands after all payed pre-orders and such.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Similar story to MK11 6gb initial and then a 14gb download! Thanks Nintendo for making the switch pretty fucking crippled and useless!

Proper games can stay on a proper console from now on for me. :hateit:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
fortnight had the cover saying what it had inside since day one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fortnite-Freeze-Bundle-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07J5MHMNH

as of this day they dont show anything on the cover that states it needs internet or if it has no cartridge, heck if amazon hasnt listed on the bottom that its a code in a box you wouldn't have known until it got in your hands after all payed pre-orders and such.
There is no final cover art, the game isn't out yet. I'm sorry if you chose to pre-order, but you can always cancel.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What's scummy about it if you know what you're buying? You don't *have* to buy the game. If you don't like digital purchases, the best thing you can do is vote with your wallet.

That's why I wont be buying this game on the Switch (I wasn't anyway and this gave me a better reason not to). Also, it's scummy in that many people won't realise what they're buying isn't a cartridge especially older people.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's why I wont be buying this game on the Switch (I wasn't anyway and this gave me a better reason not to). Also, it's scummy in that many people won't realise what they're buying isn't a cartridge especially older people.
You mean people who can't read, since it will be clearly marked on the box, like all other similar releases. Believe it or not but people don't actually care that much anymore, "older people" buy these things as gifts. Ultimately a pre-order is a pre-payment for a product that doesn't exist yet, you're surprised by what you're getting by definition.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean people who can't read, since it will be clearly marked on the box, like all other similar releases. Believe it or not but people don't actually care that much anymore, "older people" buy these things as gifts. Ultimately a pre-order is a pre-payment for a product that doesn't exist yet, you're surprised by what you're getting by definition.

Why the hell would someone buy the "physical" game, when it only just leads to someone getting it digitally anyway? Talk about a waste of plastic, someone at Bethesda must've been tripping balls.

Fucking cheapskates :lol:

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I really hate this tactic. I bought Smash 4 on the 3DS, and no matter what I tried, it would not let me pop the game into the system and play it offline without a day-1 update. I was pretty pissed off. "You need to download an update before you can play this game" or something along those lines, the message said. It WOULD NOT let me play the game without the forced update. I was a passenger in a car, so we didn't have internet handy.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You'd be surprised by the amount of people who still only buy physical versions and go to a physical store.
Ohh,m that's me. I avoid digital copies of games like the plague. I look forward to standing out in the cold in a long like of people for physical game cart releases of AAA games. I like popping carts in and out. I love holding the game I purchased in my hand. You can't get any of that with digital games, sadly. Digital is just "more convenient".

Terminatorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Ohh,m that's me. I avoid digital copies of games like the plague. I look forward to standing out in the cold in a long like of people for physical game cart releases of AAA games. I like popping carts in and out. I love holding the game I purchased in my hand. You can't get any of that with digital games, sadly. Digital is just "more convenient".

Yes but I also know some people who are adamant on buying their games on a brick and mortar store. I had a friend drive to a mall buy a digital code of a Steam PC Game. Like a literal digital code. Like all he got was a piece of paper with the steam key written on it.

These people exist.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I bought Smash 4 on the 3DS, and no matter what I tried, it would not let me pop the game into the system and play it offline without a day-1 update. I was pretty pissed off. "You need to download an update before you can play this game" or something along those lines,
Was it new, used, or "new"?

I'm not 100% sure but all physical versions of the game actually sold on cards should be playable as-is... unless of course they contain a save created on a newer update

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Was it new, used, or "new"?

I'm not 100% sure but all physical versions of the game actually sold on cards should be playable as-is... unless of course they contain a save created on a newer update
Brand new retail copy. 3DS on the latest OFW at the time. Wouldn't let me play or get past the update nag.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Brand new retail copy. 3DS on the latest OFW at the time. Wouldn't let me play or get past the update nag.
That's interesting, if you still have it could you check the version number (4th character from the right on the back stamp)?
I imagine that after seeing the ultimately 17-update shitfest they were headed for, they gave up on trying to keep up with rom manufacturing :P or maybe the opposite, a rushed build for launch

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty surprised of the people on this thread not defending this shit. Bravo to all!

But somewhere else, on a more fanboy infested place, there people defending this decision... *looks at gamexplain*

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The switch is a hybrid console, but most things we are forgetting is that this is a tablet which makes it confusing on Nintendo part for allowing this to happen. I honestly think physical wasn't apart of the plan when developing this unique device... Thank goodness for capcom input for letting Nintendo know that they needed more ram at least. I'm still thinking of some stuff to say....

Last edited by Social_Outlaw,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The switch is a hybrid console, but most things we are forgetting is that this is a tablet which makes me it confusing on Nintendo part for allowing this to happen. I honestly think physical wasn't apart of the plan when developing this unique device... Thank goodness for capcom input for letting Nintendo know that they needed more ram at least. I'm still thinking off some stuff to say....

Bethesda making dumbass decisions as usual.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Dem 🥜 s +1